• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What will you be growing next season?

kentishman said:
One I will be growing, thanks to you Marc, is Jeromin.

That's great! I was about to ask if you have Jeromin seeds but then I remembered that I already sent them to you :D

The Hot Pepper said:
Clavo Red, wish me luck lol.

I should grow that one again also. It was one of the varieties that I grew the very first season I grew chilies. Inexperienced in chili growing that I was back then, it turned out into nothing. I should definitely give it another try!

I had to review this entire thread, to see if I already responded. Seems like these threads (thankfully) come up frequently, plus this topic is pretty much always on my mind...

I've been planning out lists and I keep changing a lot of the schemes, but there are a few constants, namely:
-shit-ton of Yella Scotch Bonnets. I grew far too many Yella Bonnets this year, and in really happy that I did.
-hand full of other-color Bonnet-types (Bahama Goats, Freeports, Safis, those big'n'pretty Chocolates from White Hot Peppers, etc
-some low-heat chinense: NuMex Trick Or Treat, Aji Jobitos
-Superhots. Probably more than I ought to. Mostly "old" favorites (Red Brains, Nagas, jpgs, boc, 7Jonah) and some new-to-me stuff (7Douglah, BBM, regular red Ghosts, other weird shit I got in the stash and forgot.) I am super stoked to grow of Cappy-strain Brains, and I'm also kinda surprised that I'm considering NOT growing Yellow Brains, which was an unthinkable notion the last two years. Regardless, I have recognized that I ought to grow fewer Supers but I also realize that I am weak-willed and will likely grow as many or more than before.
-yellow Fataliis.
-baccatums. I don't even recall what varieties of purchased, but I grew Bishop's Crowns on 2018, and I'm borderline obsessed.
-I think my big theme this time around will be growing the simple, pedestrian Mexican-type peppers that I can usually find at the produce spots. In addition to Zapotec Jalapeños (I grew them in 2018 and I'm in love), I'll be growing some of the same favorites i grew last season (Guajillos, Poblanos, Serranos, regz Orange Habs) plus some I'd neglected so far (de Arbol, Puya, Pasilla Negra***)... Stuff that isn't deadly hot, but useful, "normal" shit that nobody brags about. I found that, like with most things, the homegrown shit tastes better than the market stuff. But, mostly, I find that these types make me feel like a real and normal gardener. When I grow Sevens, I r stoked, but it makes me feel like a weird pepper pervert; a hopeless fetishist getting illicit kicks from painful and esoteric chiles. Of course, in missing myself; the concept that growing poblanos makes me a humble and honest farmer or some shit is a really creepy fantasy, in and of itself. I oughta be ashamed of myself.

**this reminds me: I need Pasilla Negra seeds. I think they are the same as Pasilla Bajio?? Can anyone recommend a reliable source for the seeds? I've only seen then available from some dubious vendors...

-rob

Bicycle808 said:
**this reminds me: I need Pasilla Negra seeds. I think they are the same as Pasilla Bajio?? Can anyone recommend a reliable source for the seeds? I've only seen then available from some dubious vendors...

-rob

Sandia Seeds offers Pasilla Bajio / Chilaca - https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/pasilla-chilaca

I was looking at these and their Guajillo Chile for next season - was thinking about a practical pepper focus for the summer season especially with my winter indoor grow being mainly the hotter, less day-to-day use type peppers.  I bought from Sandia once before and it was all good.

Question for you, Rob, where did you source your Zapotec Jalapeños?  Have heard you rave on them and was thinking they'd might fit in well with a practical grow list. Didn't grow Jap's at all last year and would like to get them back into the rotation.

Thanks to cmpman1974's generosity, I have his OG Brain Strain Red and Tovarii to grow, which I'm pretty jacked about.  I actually started both already, but they'll be growing next season - at least if I have the skills to germinate the Tovarii they will. 

The BSR-OG popped at 100% germination already, so if the Tovarii doesn't hatch I suppose I'll have only myself to blame.

CaneDog said:

Sandia Seeds offers Pasilla Bajio / Chilaca - https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/pasilla-chilaca

I was looking at these and their Guajillo Chile for next season - was thinking about a practical pepper focus for the summer season especially with my winter indoor grow being mainly the hotter, less day-to-day use type peppers.  I bought from Sandia once before and it was all good.

Question for you, Rob, where did you source your Zapotec Jalapeños?  Have heard you rave on them and was thinking they'd might fit in well with a practical grow list. Didn't grow Jap's at all last year and would like to get them back into the rotation.
Thanks for the lead on the Pasilla seeds. I saw Sandia had them from a Google search, but I wasn't sure they were reputable or not. If you had good experiences, I'll give then a shot.

I grew Guajillos from seeds saves from pods I bought at the local mercado. If I cull the off-color seeds, I get 80%-90% germination from Guajillo pods sold one then over, on plastic baggies. The Pasilla seeds I get from dried pods aren't nearly as intact and they don't germinate for me. Hence, the need to find a reputable source.

I got Zapotec seeds from Gary M, aka Windchicken. I saved seeds from open-pollinated pods; of be happy to send you some but they weren't isolated. Just HMU via pm if you're interested.

I've been growing stuff for years now, but for the next season i armed myself with : 

-Carolina reaper (seeds from my friends and bought from ebay)
-Chocolate Habanero
-Numex suave orange
-Bhut jolokia ghost pepper
-Red cherry small
-Tiger skin (purple pheno; bought on ebay)
-Trinidad scorpion pepper Butch

Carolina reaper from ebay is already sprouted but seedlings look a bit small. I also have 5 strong seedlings of tiger skin. Looking foward to this season!

I also have seeds from past years, but unfortunatly i dont know strain names, since i got seeds from all around.

MarcV said:
From ebay? Let's hope it's not a bell pepper! ;)
Yea, i hope so too. This is the result of drunk bored night a few months ago. Even if it is bell pepper, i will grow it and stuffed with minced meat and rice and ate them with chilli sauce :)

My grow list so far for 2019 - I'll no doubt add a few more varieties by the time Feb/Mar germination time comes around:

Aji Amarillo
Ajvarski
Anaheim
Ancho (Poblano)
Big Jim Heritage
Big Jim Legacy
Biker Billy Jalapeño
Carolina Reaper
Cascabel
Cayenne Long Red Slim
Cayenne Ring of Fire
Chile de Arbol
Chimayo
Corno Di Toro Giallo
Corno Di Toro Rosso
Cubanelle
Datil
Early Jalapeño
Fatali
Fresno
Frigitello
Guajillo
Hot Red Habañero
Hungarian Hot Wax
Jalafuego Jalapeño
Jimmy Nardello’s
King of the North
Leutschauer Paprika
Mucho Nacho Jalapeño
Mulato Isleño
NuMex Orange Spice Jalapeño
NuMex Vaquero Jalapeño
NuMex Jalmundo Jalapeño
NuMex Sandia Select
Ozark Giant
Pasilla Bajio / Chilaca
Pulla
Rocoto (Red)
Santa Fe Grande
Serrano
Sheepnose Pimento
Sinahuisa
Sweet Apple
Sweet Banana
Sweet Pimiento
Tabasco
Takara Shishito
TAM Jalapeño
Topepo Rosso
Zapotec Jalapeño

rhines81 said:
My grow list so far for 2019 - I'll no doubt add a few more varieties by the time Feb/Mar germination time comes around:

Aji Amarillo
Ajvarski
Anaheim
Ancho (Poblano)
Big Jim Heritage
Big Jim Legacy
Biker Billy Jalapeño
Carolina Reaper
Cascabel
Cayenne Long Red Slim
Cayenne Ring of Fire
Chile de Arbol
Chimayo
Corno Di Toro Giallo
Corno Di Toro Rosso
Cubanelle
Datil
Early Jalapeño
Fatali
Fresno
Frigitello
Guajillo
Hot Red Habañero
Hungarian Hot Wax
Jalafuego Jalapeño
Jimmy Nardello’s
King of the North
Leutschauer Paprika
Mucho Nacho Jalapeño
Mulato Isleño
NuMex Orange Spice Jalapeño
NuMex Vaquero Jalapeño
NuMex Jalmundo Jalapeño
NuMex Sandia Select
Ozark Giant
Pasilla Bajio / Chilaca
Pulla
Rocoto (Red)
Santa Fe Grande
Serrano
Sheepnose Pimento
Sinahuisa
Sweet Apple
Sweet Banana
Sweet Pimiento
Tabasco
Takara Shishito
TAM Jalapeño
Topepo Rosso
Zapotec Jalapeño

That's quite a list!

Beerswimmer said:
2 phenos of the peppers that my buddy has been open pollen growing harvesting and re-planting for the last 10yrs. 

Your buddy sounds like an outstanding kinda guy.  What are those peppers like?

Basically Im growing out all my seeds from the peppers that didnt survive the white fly invasion of 2018:
New addition: PdN x BMJ
T.moruga scorpion yellow and red
Carolina reaper
7pot primo & douglah
Purple bhut
B.O.C. If I find seeds from the last pod to drop in the pot before it died last month
Jigsaw
Dragons breath probably fake lol only one pod had me swallowing lava and I saved seeds
Golden Hab
Chocolate SB if either one makes a pod I can use seed from
Like 10 Bhut Jolokia (Ghost) of course
Aji fantasy
Aji bolsa de dulce
Aji charpita
Maybe a yaki blue and Chiltepin if the Mrs is feeling generous

Ghostpepperevolution said:
Basically Im growing out all my seeds from the peppers that didnt survive the white fly invasion of 2018:
New addition: PdN x BMJ
T.moruga scorpion yellow and red
Carolina reaper
7pot primo & douglah
Purple bhut
B.O.C. If I find seeds from the last pod to drop in the pot before it died last month
Jigsaw
Dragons breath probably fake lol only one pod had me swallowing lava and I saved seeds
Golden Hab
Chocolate SB if either one makes a pod I can use seed from
Like 10 Bhut Jolokia (Ghost) of course
Aji fantasy
Aji bolsa de dulce
Aji charpita
Maybe a yaki blue and Chiltepin if the Mrs is feeling generous

That's quite a bit of heat! :)

There will be no shutdown at the Danglers. I am pleased to announce that the annual Dangler plan has been approved by both parties in the Dangler house.
As normal, it looks like the list is just about right.  It is expected to result in what seems like endless hours of processing and unabashed giveaways during summer of 2019.  There is no theme to this year's plan .... it's a cluster of:
Baccatums:  Jobitos, Fantasies
Pubes:  Manzano Red, Manzano Orange
Bonnets:  Boatmans, Boyds, Freeports, Dreadies, MOAs, Schneiders, Longs, Cappuccinos, Giant Chocolates, TFMs
Bonus Bonnets:  Goats, Beasts, EO Rust
Old Mex:  Chilhaucle Negro, Chilhaucle Rojo, Guajillo, Pasilla Bajio, Arbols, Puya
New Mex:  6-4, Big Jim
Hab:  Barbados, Chichen Itza, Lemon
Bhut:  BOC, Arseclown, Salmon
Jala:  Brown, Giant
Poblano:  Mulato Isleno, Giant
Stuff:  Cubanelle, Fresno, Spicy Cayenne, Shishito, Serrano Giant, Scorpion Moruga

Back