misc What would you do?

so, I recently created a new label, and I wanted to update the 2 product photos on my website. The last photos I'd done myself, but I wanted something a little nicer, so I figured I'd get a professional photog involved

I looked on craiglists where a bunch of local photogrpahers adverstised their services. One person offered to do the job for free, in return for having the imeages in their product portfolio. I initially jumpoed on that, but it turned out that person was pretty unreliable, and so I quickly gavce up on that idea.

Another guy offered to do it for $75 an hour, with an estimate of 2 hours, and that price would include the high res digital images.

That sounded reasonable, and I was all set to give him the work, when I was introduced to a photographer by a friend at a social event. She is a recently divorced lady in her 50's, struggling financially, so I figured I'd give her the work.

We discussed the project, but didn't talk price (my bad; last time that will happen). She said she was busy but would fit me in if I didn't need the work done urgently

Day 1: We arrange to meet somewhere convenient to both of us so I could drop off the samples. She's a no show, doesn't call me, doesn't pick up her phone when I call her

Day 2: She calls me, apologized profusely, says she got caught up in another project and forgot to call. Hmm , ok. My instinct says run away, but I press on, because I'm helping out a friend of a friend, right? So I go out of my way to drop off the samples at her house. I brief her on what I'm looking for (plain white background, with a slight reflection on the base, a common technique, there are lots of examples on the web, including apple.com)

A couple of weeks go by, I get the low res proofs - she makes a few tweaks and we are done. Images look good. She sends me the invoice:

2 hours of photography work at $150 per hour
1 hour photoshop at $75 per hour
$150 per image for hi res digital images

Total of $675 for 2 pictures

I almost fell off my chair

I feel like an idiot for not establishing the price up front, but I also feel taken advantage of. $150 per hour in this economy? Seriously? Plus $150 for per *digital* image? Those are some expensive bytes

Any recommendations on what I should do here? I have not spent that much money on *anything* setting up this business

There are many types of of contracts. When he dropped off the samples and gave her the go ahead, was she not supposed to get paid for the work he was ordering?

I think the most important thing is being overlooked.

A couple of weeks go by, I get the low res proofs - she makes a few tweaks and we are done. Images look good. She sends me the invoice:

Great! That's the important thing. The job came out good. So I guess you can pay, and get the hi-res images you need. Or don't pay, and you won't. If you think there is room to negotiate you should try. Approach it calmly and professionally. Maybe it will all work out.

Wow, lots of perspectives on this one! I'd like to add mine....As a 'professional', she was obligated to give a range of price. As a client, if you were within a budget, should have asked for a price range. I certainly respect a "friend helping a friend", but business is business....protect your interests. My opinion....both acted lackadaisically. I always try to be solution-oriented. Learn from the mistakes, really LEARN, then move on. A token of gratitude for her time would be gracious, given with grace, as you learned something out of it too! Wishing you best success...CJ~

I'm still holding out for more details before I make a final call. I STILL don't know if she took the photos, if she has a studio in her home, what the specific breakdown of the time was, etc. Also, what is the quality of the work? I haven't seen that either.

Let me just say that all this equipment and software I use IS NOT CHEAP! Not to mention the cost of the fonts and years of experience. I have well over $15,000 dollars invested in my "toolbox".

When I was at an Ad Agency, they billed me out at $150/hr to the clients. Then they billed the clients for the photo shoots, the account service coordinators time, and a myriad of other things. Now, having said that, all of that information was up front like Scovie said and they knew they were going high-end when they went with us, so at least there wasn't an issue with that.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. If I ask someone to do something and they deliver the product I ask for, I pay for it.

Yes, he said he hired a professional photographer to take pictures of two hot sauce bottles.

She picked the best from the two-hour shoot. There were probably 100 pictures. You don't just take two pictures when you want two. The two-hour shoot, set-up. lighting, taking pictures, sounds right. All you wanted was two in the end right? If you want the rest from the shoot just ask.

I've hired photographers for work before. All in all what you posted is not all that unreasonable.

Thanks for all the feedback

We ended up settling on $250. While I'm happy with the pictures, I was not happy with the way the transaction went, and would never use her again (and I do intend to have more photography done).

This could be a small business case study on one time "drive by" transactions vs building a long term customer relationship.

If you want to take a look at the pics they're at:

http://www.matanzima.com/collections/all

Thanks for all the feedback

We ended up settling on $250. While I'm happy with the pictures, I was not happy with the way the transaction went, and would never use her again (and I do intend to have more photography done).

This could be a small business case study on one time "drive by" transactions vs building a long term customer relationship.

If you want to take a look at the pics they're at:

http://www.matanzima.com/collections/all
Maybe it's just a result of poor scaling, but the cutting of the picture is just horrible. also, why is it not in better quality? it lacks crispiness. if that's just a scaling issue, I'll gladly scale the pictures for you.

Maybe it's just a result of poor scaling, but the cutting of the picture is just horrible. also, why is it not in better quality? it lacks crispiness. if that's just a scaling issue, I'll gladly scale the pictures for you.

Yes I noticed that too - I just uploaded the originals to the web server - so its the website sw thats doing the scaling. That could have something to do with it

I have image editing sw on my home pc - I will try & fix it later - if it doesn't work, I may take you up on your offer - thanks! (how much are you going to charge? ;) )

I'm still holding out for more details before I make a final call. I STILL don't know if she took the photos, if she has a studio in her home, what the specific breakdown of the time was, etc. Also, what is the quality of the work? I haven't seen that either.

She said she took the photos, and I had no reason to doubt her. With respect to the price breakdown, I did not ask her, as I did not want to take the negotiation in that direction. I wanted to negotiate a lower price, not give her room to justify her high price.

Wow! All is well that ends well. Nice site! (good looking sauce too.)
Confronting her about it was the right thing to do, and hopefully you both are happy...
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out!

To those who said pay it, you would have done him outta 425 clams! :rofl:
If she came down that much it's blindingly clear that she tried to take you and your wallet for a ride!

To those who said pay it, you would have done him outta 425 clams! :rofl:
If she came down that much it's blindingly clear that she tried to take you and your wallet for a ride!
I said pay but negotiate. I win!

Scoville erased his drunk speak!

Back