misc What would you do?

so, I recently created a new label, and I wanted to update the 2 product photos on my website. The last photos I'd done myself, but I wanted something a little nicer, so I figured I'd get a professional photog involved

I looked on craiglists where a bunch of local photogrpahers adverstised their services. One person offered to do the job for free, in return for having the imeages in their product portfolio. I initially jumpoed on that, but it turned out that person was pretty unreliable, and so I quickly gavce up on that idea.

Another guy offered to do it for $75 an hour, with an estimate of 2 hours, and that price would include the high res digital images.

That sounded reasonable, and I was all set to give him the work, when I was introduced to a photographer by a friend at a social event. She is a recently divorced lady in her 50's, struggling financially, so I figured I'd give her the work.

We discussed the project, but didn't talk price (my bad; last time that will happen). She said she was busy but would fit me in if I didn't need the work done urgently

Day 1: We arrange to meet somewhere convenient to both of us so I could drop off the samples. She's a no show, doesn't call me, doesn't pick up her phone when I call her

Day 2: She calls me, apologized profusely, says she got caught up in another project and forgot to call. Hmm , ok. My instinct says run away, but I press on, because I'm helping out a friend of a friend, right? So I go out of my way to drop off the samples at her house. I brief her on what I'm looking for (plain white background, with a slight reflection on the base, a common technique, there are lots of examples on the web, including apple.com)

A couple of weeks go by, I get the low res proofs - she makes a few tweaks and we are done. Images look good. She sends me the invoice:

2 hours of photography work at $150 per hour
1 hour photoshop at $75 per hour
$150 per image for hi res digital images

Total of $675 for 2 pictures

I almost fell off my chair

I feel like an idiot for not establishing the price up front, but I also feel taken advantage of. $150 per hour in this economy? Seriously? Plus $150 for per *digital* image? Those are some expensive bytes

Any recommendations on what I should do here? I have not spent that much money on *anything* setting up this business

I said pay but negotiate. I win! Scoville erased his drunk speak!
Scovie??? DP-ing??? NEVER! He wouldn't! ...would he? ... Really? ...... maybe?

Man I hate it when I someone sip-n-clicks.

Anyway, back on topic. Glad the issue was resolved in a professional manner. Hopefully we've all been reminded of the proper way to do business.

BTW, MnZ, the images look good.

Overpriced is not the issue, you had a verbal contract to perform the work, she performed the work. Sorry but you should pay, it's a tough lesson. Why the heck didn't you get a quote?

Are you happy with it? The only thing I would dispute is the file charge. She worked in hi-res and sent you low, meaning, she already has the high. That's just a file that can be sent, no work involved. The work was already done.

Too late to call it overpriced, when you didn't bother to ask what she charges, and then commissioned her.

PS. I've paid for logos that I ended up not liking or using, but paid because they did the work, but always got a quote.

I do agree with this in part (he gave the go-ahead), but I believe there's an obligation on the service provider to quote a price for services contracted? otherwise it's an incomplete contract - one could as easily assume that her price was $0/hour since she didn't inform her customer of the cost up front.

I think both parties are a bit off in this - the client had an obligation to ask for a quote, the vendor had an obligation to provide one. However I think the true onus is on the vendor. Otherwise she could do the work, send it over and say, "that'll be $10,000 please - oh, sorry, you didn't ask my hourly rate which is $5000/hr" - it just doesn't work that way.

I'm not a professional photographer so I have no idea what's standard for contract work, but that price seems pretty high considering it's roughly what I paid a graphic artist for months of iterative label design. That said, when I had my labels made, I made sure we agreed on a project cost up front before I had her do any work - at the artist's suggestion. We negotiated a flat rate for the entire "project" rather than an hourly rate, which seems like the way a project like this should be approached.

My concern was that with something as ambiguous as an "art" project, it might require a lot of rework (it did) and possibly take months (it did) and that if I were paying hourly I'd end up being her cash cow. likewise with a photog project, she could tinker with 500 different exposures and filters and lighting and charge you for her time noodling around when all you wanted was a simple deliverable.

I don't think you're on the hook for this. My suggestion would be to contact a couple of professional photography services, who should have no problem giving you a quote for the exact work she performed for you. Armed with that information, perhaps you can negotiate something reasonable with her. If she's not willing to compromise fairly, there's always the People's Court!

interesting thread - a lot of good info from what I've read herein, and a good cautionary tale!

good luck! :cheers:

ETA - looks like it got resolved with negotiation - congrats, and sorry I missed the last page. :D

Back