• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's a good pepper to grow (not superhots)

Of the peppers I have that have ripened so far (not a lot), I'm really a fan of the Giant Thai Hots... They have a little zip to them, but not overpowering at all. And they have a good flavor to them.

My wife likes them too, and she's pretty wimpy (self-admitted) and usually sticks to jalapenos or milder...

I may have some other imput on this when more pods fully ripen, as I have a bit of a mix of heat levels growing :)

How is is everybody in Méjico grows chilaca and nobody in the EU does.

Chilaca is good green for relleno, salsa verde and etc. It is good dried (pasilla). It is easy to grow and is not too picante. Dried, It is a primary ingredient in moles.

Unripe, chilaca/chile negro

chilaca2-1.jpg

Dried, pasilla:

pasilla.jpg

I agree with those that recommend Numex (like Big Jims). Also, Poblanos are very nice as are Guajillo (for mole sauce). All three have great flavor and are tame in terms of heat.

I'm brand new to peppers, but had the same thought this season. My wife loves Chili Rellenos but isn't a hot fan. I would also like to eat/stuff more peppers and maybe get my daughters into it. Based on advice of a local "pepper expert," I'm growing Numex Joe Parker and Ancho Magnifico. Both are going to be quite tall plants, and look to be big producers (fingers crossed).

anaheims
fooled you jalapeno (no heat)
monkey face chile
guajillo
jalapeno m
fresno
most aji"s

hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

Back