• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's a good pepper to grow...

... for a hydro expo?

I've been asked to put on a display of growing stuff in a DWC hydro display at the County Fair. Been putting some thought into this but hopefully will get input. Some background info:

Frost free here is May 15.
The chambers will be outside (meaning pH and ppm will be a little more of a challenge, especially since the containers will not be on site).
The Fair opens Aug. 11.
The reservoirs can be placed on skids to make moving inside easier for the fair.

My plan - which I can change, is to have one container (~22 gallon) with a peppers and tom that I will start outside May 15. One June 1, another one will have a tom, pepper and two pole beans. Then on July 1, another container with a tom, pepper, two heads of lettuce and a couple of beans will be started.
(Note - one lid containing the plants will be moved to a clear container during the fair so visitors can see the air stones and root system.)

The lettuce will be Black Seeded Simpson and the beans will be Chinese Red Noodle. I'm leaning toward a Riesentraube for the tom (indeterminate, 80 days, grows clusters of 20-40 cherry toms).

I need a suggestion for the pepper. Ideally, the plant will have mature fruit within 80 days, grow 3-4 foot tall and have an abundance of pods. I've thought about a Long Thin Cayenne as well as a Habenero but the Hab is a 90 day plant. I reckon I can sow the Hab now so I have 120 days by the time the fair starts.

Your thoughts. I really would love to have a great looking display.

Mike

maybe the bishops crown, red rocoto, aji habanero, aji lemon, numex twilights, hungarian wax. Im not sure of the 80 or 90 day issue with these pods. All i know is that they have produced an abundance of pods quickly and most are very pretty. Sounds like a great display that you have planned! good luck with it all mate.

dave

I wouldn't count on a Hab having an abundance of pods on August 11 if you haven't planted seeds yet. If you go with a Hab, definitely buy a seedling. Other wise go with Jalapeno or Cayenne, they grow fast.

I have a Red Carib Hab that sprouted on January 16. It's in potting soil but should have a great rootball by now.

Edit: I don't have to 100 percent honest, I can tag the display that it was set into water on May 1!

Mike

Back