• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's causing this??

Just back from the local hydroponics store.

I have mites -- which accounts for the curling leaves, apparently my "neeming" hasn't been getting to the underside of the leaves

The plants aren't getting enough sun where they are, so that accounts for some of the stunted growth

The white stuff on the leaves is either a) residue from Neem, or b) something else that may respond to 'flour of sulphur' which he assured me would do no harm.

I should not be feeding them growth formula, but bloom.

He has no ideas on the discoloured fruit, and is going to send them off to someone, as he has seen similar on some tomato plants recently.

The dead part on the plant stem, which I only described and mentioned briefly, was not really talked about, but again, has more to do with the lack of sun, i think. This plant is going to be separated from the rest as a precaution. I was also told that I should hold off for a week or so before applying sulphate of potash so that the plants can recover a bit before they try to uptake more elements.

Nutrient OD was discounted, as there was no browning around the margin of the leaves.

I'd still like further input, as more ideas are better than none/one.

In the mean time, thanks to all for their help and ideas so far!

RS

Some of the symptoms may be unrelated, meaning more than 1 problem.

I have never seen stem damage like that.

Good luck and let us know what works!

I don't know much, but when i first saw these pics i immediately thought "mites". It appeared to be all internal damage spreading outward.

It sucks that this happened, but this is damn good info with excellent examples.

To me they look like they've had some herbicide drift on them. I had similiar problems with my plants a few years ago after the county sprayed the overgrowth on some of the roads around here. They were spraying about 1/2 mile away and the wind still carried the chemical to my garden.

Alan

I'm having very similar problems lately, a lot of my growth tips are getting burnt and I can't figure out why. Its possible that its Pepper Mottle Virus but pods and new shoots keep growing. It could be something in my well water too but why now? I've been feeding straight rainwater lately but haven't noticed any improvement. Everyday more and more plants are going into ICU and I'm really getting pissed.

I have the same problem with mine. They are caused by aphids, lots of them. I just bought a bottle of Neem oil at Lowes and sprayed the heck out of them. Hopefully that'll do the trick. Definitely aphids!!!

SDchilihead said:
I have the same problem with mine. They are caused by aphids, lots of them. I just bought a bottle of Neem oil at Lowes and sprayed the heck out of them. Hopefully that'll do the trick. Definitely aphids!!!
Would you add the neem daily or just once?

I was told that a spray of Neeem is good for about a week --- unless it rains or you water the plants from above, ie get them wet. So, my Neem cycle is going to be every 5 days.
With the spraying, is is critical to get the underside of the leaves.

I am sticking with mites for now, coz i wanna be an ostrich and not consider blight.

This is my first real attempt to grow anything, so thats why i think i'm having so many problems. In the past, the only thing I've had success growing has been weeds, and not the good kind that make shows like the View interesting.

I will update with progress in a couple of days.

RS

Got 'em on film!

These look like little red ants, but i suppose that they are the mites in action!
a041a.jpg

And from another angle:
a039a.jpg

Ive mentioned before, but when Im using coco, I water (feed) every day, and look for run off every day, 10% run off is your ideal. Are you testing your ph levels? what ec are you feeding, I use the coco specific nutes not the soil terra one. Growing in coco is the simplest way Ive come across to grow in, I take cuttings in it, I germinate my seeds in it. Ive yet to have any growing problems using coco, the biggest problem Ive come across is the dreaded aphid.

The picture of the insects on the leaves are some type of ant, and when you see ants on your plants its a give away that aphids are close by, have a closer look. Neem will not kill aphids in one day or even over a week, it works by shutting down their system & they die due to not being able to reproduce & not eating. The system that worked for me was to mix up Pyrethrum in a litre spray bottle, and visually inspect each & every plant every afternoon ans spot spray once aphids were found, if you persist you will beat them, I also spray once a week my whole crop with neem as a preventitive measure, but still maintain a watchful eye out for aphids.

Back