Whats going on? someone please explain.

I have been working on building up my tolerances to hot/super hot peppers for the last several months now. During the end of the 2013 growing season I was consuming slices of super hots with all my meals as well as large quantities of habanero sauce whenever possible.

Suddenly over the past few days, everything seems to be scorching hot and concentrated at the tip and top of my tongue. even the habanero sauce that I could drink from the bottle now burns in  just small amounts. Is this a normal phase at some point or what?

I have been using almost exclusively, some brown moruga powder I made. I noticed recently that the burn changed from back of the throat to the tongue where it seemed to sizzle and the amount of powder I needed decreased ridiculously. A flea circus would be easier to see than the amount of powder I have been using the last few days.

Its as though my capsaicin receptors have become hyper sensitive for some reason, which is the opposite of what I have been trying to achieve.

I'm not the most experienced, but I personally have found that if you don't give those receptors a good, hard kick with, say, a whole pod, on occasion, then gradually the tolerance level drops. Mind you, I've also had times where the sensitivity just seemed to jolt - I think it may also have to do with the different foods a person eats... And there could be a number of other factors that others more experienced could describe. *nod*

Has your diet changed recently? Certain foods can cause an increase in sensitivity to capsaicin. Potato chips for instance can leave small abrasions that can increase your sensitivity to spicy foods. 

...and fatty foods like bacon and burgers can hinder the cap sensitivity.

Tolerances are always changing depending on your diet, weather, time of year, time of the month, barometric pressure, moon phase, solar flares, visiting in-laws, payday, hangovers, etc.

Super Hots Canada said:
I'm not the most experienced, but I personally have found that if you don't give those receptors a good, hard kick with, say, a whole pod, on occasion, then gradually the tolerance level drops. Mind you, I've also had times where the sensitivity just seemed to jolt - I think it may also have to do with the different foods a person eats... And there could be a number of other factors that others more experienced could describe. *nod*
I have never done a whole pod, nor will I any time soon. I know my limitations and whole pods are out of the question. Almost died with a little bit of dry brown moruga flake some time back. its kinda the whole point of building my tolerance in the first place.
MeatHead1313 said:
Has your diet changed recently? Certain foods can cause an increase in sensitivity to capsaicin. Potato chips for instance can leave small abrasions that can increase your sensitivity to spicy foods. 
no, same ole, same ole.
Scoville DeVille said:
...and fatty foods like bacon and burgers can hinder the cap sensitivity.

Tolerances are always changing depending on your diet, weather, time of year, time of the month, barometric pressure, moon phase, solar flares, visiting in-laws, payday, hangovers, etc.
I have actually found greasy food to be an excellent delivery system for the capsaicin. best of all so far is deep fried chicken wings.Wow, redefines hot wings. I think the grease actually aids in separating and distributing the capsaicin.

But, you may have something with your other suggestions.

Did you take a break from eating the superhot slices/powder at all? Agree with Scovie too. Tolerances are always changing, especially if you take a break from what you're used to.

Any candy canes? Any holiday treats like Jolly Ranchers, Lemon Drops, or Sweet Tarts? Something salty like a small handful of sunflower seeds? Any acidic fruits like fresh apples or oranges?

It doesn't take much of any of the above along with things like the aforementioned potato chips to really do a number on you.

Gotrox said:
Recent drop in calcium ingestion, or drugs that thin calcium ?
Just a thought.
none of the above, thanks anyway
MeatHead1313 said:
Did you take a break from eating the superhot slices/powder at all? Agree with Scovie too. Tolerances are always changing, especially if you take a break from what you're used to.
like one day, maybe two. but more like one. would that really make a difference?

Naga Chomper said:
Any candy canes? Any holiday treats like Jolly Ranchers, Lemon Drops, or Sweet Tarts? Something salty like a small handful of sunflower seeds? Any acidic fruits like fresh apples or oranges? It doesn't take much of any of the above along with things like the aforementioned potato chips to really do a number on you.
none of the candy items. but with the holidays, your general crackers, cheese and smoked sausage that one would expect on the snack tray. I cant think of anything I have consumed lately that I haven't consumed before without issue.

"The tip and top" of your tongue tells me it was something that you ate, and that it will likely be a temporary situation.

Even slightly burning your tongue on something like coffee or hot tea would do it.

Naga Chomper said:
"The tip and top" of your tongue tells me it was something that you ate, and that it will likely be a temporary situation. Even slightly burning your tongue on something like coffee or hot tea would do it.
OK, I will let some time pass and see what happens. I have noticed this getting progressively worse and just dismissed it, even thinking at one point that the Brown Moruga powder was some how getting hotter with age.

I wonder if it's possible that the hotter parts of what you made powder with have settled closer to the bottom, and what you're experiencing now is a more concentrated hit of what you should have been experiencing the whole time? 
Edit to add- I am drunk so my reasoning could be hooey. lol

Scovie was fo-real onto something. Changes in your body chemistry due to (insert cause) can cause changes in your body's tolerance. Although...there are some other good suggestions up there too. I really like the MeatHead remark...although probably not the case...his drunk reasoning is perfectly solid. Look at it this way, if you didn't like spicy food...you wouldn't eat it right? So maybe this is your body chemistry's way of making sure you have enough powder to last you through the winter??? Lowering your tolerance so that you use less powder during the non pepper growing months???

Bottom line, don't measure your manhood through the size of your sprinkle. Eat what tastes good to you and leave the rest in the bag for later!

MeatHead1313 said:
I wonder if it's possible that the hotter parts of what you made powder with have settled closer to the bottom, and what you're experiencing now is a more concentrated hit of what you should have been experiencing the whole time? 
Edit to add- I am drunk so my reasoning could be hooey. lol
That's not an irrational assumption, although I doubt that to be the reason. thx
stc3248 said:
Scovie was fo-real onto something. Changes in your body chemistry due to (insert cause) can cause changes in your body's tolerance. Although...there are some other good suggestions up there too. I really like the MeatHead remark...although probably not the case...his drunk reasoning is perfectly solid. Look at it this way, if you didn't like spicy food...you wouldn't eat it right? So maybe this is your body chemistry's way of making sure you have enough powder to last you through the winter??? Lowering your tolerance so that you use less powder during the non pepper growing months???

Bottom line, don't measure your manhood through the size of your sprinkle. Eat what tastes good to you and leave the rest in the bag for later!
Already having a low pain threshold and what seems at times to be 3-4 times more capsaicin receptors as anyone else, my "sprinkle" is probably already less than normal for most chile heads. But, I do agree with your powder conservation theory, I may very well have enough to last me till at least this years Annuums start to pod up.

Your original post says "Suddenly, over the past few days...my mouth can't handle the heat" which leads me to think something damaged your tongue.  Probably something as previously mentioned like the chips, candy or hot coffee that you just don't remember.  I'd give it a couple days and not worry about it.

Something interesting happened to me this last summer.  I was sick with undiagnosed diabetes and got some thrush in my mouth.  Everything's under control and back to normal healthwise, but my tongue still feels like it's been worked over with 40 grit sandpaper.  I can still handle the heat from sauces, but they feel like lemon juice in a cut on my tongue. :(   

Hmm, did you bite or burn you tongue? I noticed when you hurt your tongue it gets more aggravated.

salsalady said:
Your original post says "Suddenly, over the past few days...my mouth can't handle the heat" which leads me to think something damaged your tongue.  Probably something as previously mentioned like the chips, candy or hot coffee that you just don't remember.  I'd give it a couple days and not worry about it.

Something interesting happened to me this last summer.  I was sick with undiagnosed diabetes and got some thrush in my mouth.  Everything's under control and back to normal healthwise, but my tongue still feels like it's been worked over with 40 grit sandpaper.  I can still handle the heat from sauces, but they feel like lemon juice in a cut on my tongue. :(   
Maybe, I'm not discounting that I may have eaten something and it is the root cause. I just don't recall or know what or when it would have been. I did however, today for lunch, soak some taquitos with some habanero sauce and devour them. The after affect was still a little painful, but the fact that I was able to chew and swallow the concoction is an improvement. will see what the next few days brings. Glad to see everything is under control and back to normal for you. Thx

Dulac said:
Hmm, did you bite or burn you tongue? I noticed when you hurt your tongue it gets more aggravated.
Nope, had that happened,(and I always know when it does. Cause I usually chomp it good and don't want to eat anything then.) I would not have started this topic.

Update... Everything seems to be getting back to normal. at least in moderation so far. I can devour the habanero sauce without issue and will move toward the hotter stuff with a cautious apprehension. I may never really know what triggered this (at least not till next year). thanks for all the input.

I wonder though, could wine maybe have some type of negative affect like this. It is really the only thing I can think of that was new in the past week.

I would back off a couple of days to rest your receptors, I'm inclind to feel the same way as the other that you have some how perhaps even in your sleep you could get some sort of a abrasion. wash your mouth out with some water and a little salt and see if you have a sore spot if not I feel that giving it a bit of a rest will not hurt anything and will allow your tongue and mouth to get over to what ever caused the problem.
I get problems with my mouth as I'm Diabetic and have lost my teeth and the chemo and radiation that I went through for cancer didn't help my mouth any,  so I gargle a lot with mouth wash, salt water and a anti bacterial mouth wash to keep things in good shape which helps to with my dry mouth problems from all the medication that I take. I have a Big 1 pound container full of hot pepper powder made from Barrackpores, Infinity, ghost peppers and a billion chiltepins and chocolate Nagas, reall tasty,  but a little to much and your mouth will really hurt after wards.

Back