• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite WHATS YOUR FAVORITE PEPPER??

Tried the Fatalli, wasnt a big fan. Was definately sweet, but a little too bitter for MY taste. Still a HUGE fan of the choc. bhut. Followed up VERY closely by every scotch bonnett type I have tried so far. And the Cardi I tried with SouthernYooper was AWESOME! Super hots are great, but when you want something "warm," that Cardis hard to beat.

I'm a really big fan of the Jamaican Red Mushrooms. They have a 'meaty' taste that's kinda like a cucumber. Decent heat too. The Super Chili is a great producer and has decent heat. The only reason I don't grow them is because dried Indian Reds (cayenne) are always available and super cheap. I've been dabbling in the scotch bonnets as well. I'm pretty happy so far.

I just harvested 2 - 5 gal. buckets of anaheims. The flavor is hard to beat and there are alot of uses for them. :)

Charles

The Tepin. It's the first one I run out of every year! It has an aftertaste like no other and I like the fast burn and fade.

Brazilian Starfish is great too. Sweet and fuity, almost a dessert in itself and a nice medium heat. I just with they would produce better in my climate.

Any variety of NM green chile. I know it doesn't resonate with you fans of the superhot varieties, but you can't beat the flavor of a good NM chile. And if you let it ripen to red, its even better ;-)

NO YOUR RIGHT I AM A SUPER HOT LOVER BUT I LOVE NM BIG JIM ROASTED THEIR NICE AND SWEET, IM GROWING SOME IN MY GARDEN THIS YEAR oh crap sorry im shouting!! i picked some the other day roasted them and had them as a side dish they were wonderful!!

...the tepin are one year plants.

if you are saying the tepin plants only last one year, how so?...they grow wild in Waco south of here...come back year after year without any meddlin' with....I had three I kept for two years and was going into the third year until one of my day laborers pulled them up and trashed them before I knew it...they produced like mad but I couldn't get to them before the mockingbirds did....

Ciao all-

For me, I agree with AJ's wife..I REALLY fell in love with the Billy Biker Jalapenos made into bacon-wrapped poppers this summer. I never expected to like those as much as I did, but Duane's agreed to grow 4 pots next year to make sure we have enough (we didn't). I also agree with Derek about the NuMex chilies. Fresno is definitely at the top of my list for making any sort of TexMex dish, but for stuffed rellenos, I'd have to go with Big Jim or Joe E Parker. Cubanelles and Anaheims are machines for the vegetative part of any salsa. Since I'm the cook and Duane's the grower, a lot of what he grows gets run past me first. He simply doesn't have enough free time to "dapple" much with the scary stuff. I don't touch those, I don't even let him prep them inside the house because of my sensitivity to capsacin. He's made enough of AJ's pastes now to last him MANY years and also tons of dehydrated ones for making into powders, so I think next year, he's going to concentrate more on the ones we use the most, the NuMex types. I also really liked Orange Thai this year. They came in handy with all of the stuff I grew in the new Asian garden. For dried powders, the ones I use the most are Hot Paper Lantern and Lemon Drop. I also use Golden Cayenne quite a bit. The big surprise for me was the Peach Habanero. I made several batches of Peach Habanero/Golden Raspberry Jelly and that was a huge hit. I intended to make tapas with the Padrones, but they didn't ripen more than 1 or 2 at a time and then I got busy with other stuff. Maybe an additional plant would help with that. Pepperoncini, both Greek and Italian, Sport, Peppadew, and Sweet Pickle are other mainstays for pickling. Bishop's Crown was another nice surprise for me. I love the shape, but was expecting a hot one I couldn't eat like Brazilian Starfish. This one has a lovely sweet crunch to it, so that's definitely a keeper. Pimienta de Neyde is a gorgeous plant, but I haven't used it enough in cooking to be able to tell you whether the flavour is good enough to re-grow it. Lastly, Alma Paprika was another nice surprise so that gets a nod to re-grow as well. As you can see, my taste for peppers is fairly tame. I love to see all of D's Chinenses growing, but I don't get closer than a zoom lens to them. D also grew Chimayo but he has yet to grind the dry ones for powder, so I can't give a review, but I have high hopes for that one.

In heat order my favorites are:

1. Serranos
2. Billy Biker Jalapenos - I think they're actually hotter than serranos
3. Thais
4. Carribean Reds
5. Red Savinas
6. Red 7s

right now it's gotta be yellow 7pod or barrackpore 7pod. 2nd place would be chocolate bhut followed by bonda ma jaques. sorry can't pick just one!

Right now mine are 1 Orange Habs. 2 Jalapeno. Trying to try more good ones by growing new types have never tryed. As have had hard time finding exotic ones in Canada or Thailand. Think I tryed a Billy biker Jalapeno, Was brown before turning red, So not sure what it was for sure??? Now thinking its an Anihaim type Sorry.. But still very cool and hotter then the other Anihaim I'm tryed.

Back