• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc What's your most productive plant this season?

OK, now imagine growing 40-50 varieties of bird peppers like I did this year. OMG. Ridiculous. Never again.

Chris

POTAWIE said:
I here what you're saying Cheezy. I'm not planning on growing small pod varieties much anymore, I just can't keep up with pickin' em... and I love large C. chinenses:)

All my Caribbean red plants are 50+ pods a plant, some of them I have counted 100.

I'm very excited and will be growing these guys again next season :)

POTAWIE said:
I here what you're saying Cheezy. I'm not planning on growing small pod varieties much anymore, I just can't keep up with pickin' em... and I love large C. chinenses:)

Lol, Now I knoew why that guy wanted to develop a hab crossed with a poblano! lol.

Here is the sauce (I thought of ps'ing the color since my camara can't seem to reproduce it, but that seems wrong. Really it is a neon hulkish yellow green!..........Yes, I bottled it!)*pay no attention to the date on the new camara!*
PICT0120.jpg

So far I have gotten about 370 pods off of what pepperjoe calls "Thai Sun", and the runner up is another one from pepperjoe called "Firecracker" that clocks in at a modest 168. Bolivian Rainbow and Datil have the #3 and #4 spots.

I chose a pretty broad category of bird varieties. This included ones like African Bird Orange, Macho, and other larger pod pequin types. I haven't tasted them all yet, but for plant size, productivity, heat, Macho is my favorite hands down.

I also like PI 438638, Mignon (C. Baccatum), Egyptian Pequin, Pequin from Baker's Nursery, Pequin from Puerto Vallarte, and McMahon's Texas Bird. Many of them are so similar you can't differentiate them. Others have totally different growth habits. Some get gigantic. Others are small bushes. All together, they make nice landscaping. lol.

Chiltepin Amarillo has been a real struggle and one I really was looking forward to it. It's a yellow Tepin type (C. Annuum). I pulled it into the greenhouse. It's very slow growing. I will overwinter.

Chris

my chocolate hab has had 22 and still gettin new sprouts my others havent been so generous my first year growing ;)

My Early Jalapenos have done fairly well this year, not so much in quantity but in size. Some are so large, they look as though they crossed with a sweet pepper. This one shows that peppers can be a great Valentine's Day gift also... though I would suggest against giving one to your wife as her sole gift.

IHeartPeppers.jpg

It's strange, because most of my Jal's are mishapen this year. I'll post pics (smaller this time) of the others when they are red - some are freaking huge but don't resemble a Jal at all except in flavour...

MalevolentMonkey said:
It's strange, because most of my Jal's are mishapen this year. I'll post pics (smaller this time) of the others when they are red - some are freaking huge but don't resemble a Jal at all except in flavour...

Whatever it is it looks damn nice :rolleyes:

Back