• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun When do I move to sunlight

OK, so I started Bhuts,Trinidad Scorpions and some mystery seeds my son's friend swear are death. I built a hot bed from a galvanized can with a light bulb for heat and it kept bed temps at a constant 95 used seed starter plugs, after 7 days I have about 25% germination with 1/2 to 3/4 inch sprouts with only the cotyledon leaves. My question is; my sprouts are not in sunlight and I don't want to lose the new sprouts,waiting for more seeds to sprout. When do I move sprouts to sun (I usually wait for true leaves) and what temps are safe for the new seedling, It would be hard to create a space and maintain these warm temps for my new plants, but is it necessary? Wouldn't think a seasoned gardener would be so paranoid. but this my first super hot variety I have started.Thanks for any help

Once they've sprouted they don't need the heat (60-70) but they need light. A cheapo shop light with 6500k bulbs will do the trick. Those little sprouts will burn in extended sun.

I usually immediately move my sprouts to sunlight in the window once they sprout, for half an hour to an hour every day if there's full sun, then under flouros the rest of the day. If it's overcast, I keep them in the window only if it's not terribly cold there, which it definitely was some days this winter.

Once i see the slightest movement in the soil, they go right out in direct sun, it's been 90 here for the last few days and clear skies... i wouldn't try that in july or Aug...

I like to harden off slowly. I first put plants outside on my windowsill for 10 minutes of fulll sun and a real envrionment. I gradually increade this to a few hours before I put them in my garden. Direct sunlight from the windowsill is not enough. Thry need to be used to wind as well. Make sure you properly harden off, before transplanting your pepper plants outside.

Mine get stuck either out front on the porch, receive direct sun from about 3-4 till sundown or on the back porch under the bench seating, after a week to 10 days of this depending on how many days of full sun we have had I consider them done.

Once i see the slightest movement in the soil, they go right out in direct sun, it's been 90 here for the last few days and clear skies... i wouldn't try that in july or Aug...
I am jealous. If I put mine outside right now, they'd end up very, very unhappy with the cold.

Once they have true leaves I put them in front of the house which faces east. So they get morning sun before it gets too hot.

BTW, you want your temps closer to 80-85 not 95.

I'm right along with the others, as long as they have true leaves and the temps are with in a safe range they can start going out. I normally juat place mine out under a shadecloth for a week or two then remove it after that. Some varities take less time some need a little more time under the shadecloth.

Thank you all, I moved all the sprouts to a tray in my sun room (still in the 40s at night here ROTTEN SPRING)with a lamp from my old reef tank overhead. I had about 50% germination so far (but I'm only 10 days in) and plan on keeping then inside till late June (similar to how I treat my tomatoes).We had frost where I live as late as Mothers Day and it wiped out all my Impatiens one year. I started late and want to keep some plants inside to grow as perennials. Thanks again

I built a hot bed from a galvanized can with a light bulb for heat and it kept bed temps at a constant 95 used seed starter plugs, after 7 days I have about 25% germination with 1/2 to 3/4 inch sprouts with only the cotyledon leaves. My question is; my sprouts are not in sunlight and I don't want to lose the new sprouts,waiting for more seeds to sprout. When do I move sprouts to sun (I usually wait for true leaves) and what temps are safe for the new seedling

man, IMO you are lucky you got any germination at 95...that is way high for germination...as hotstuff said, 85 is almost perfect...as far as when to put them in the light...if you didn't start them outside, you need to take your time getting them into the sun...grow them inside for a couple of weeks then start your hardening off process...if you don't know what "hardening off" is, read up on the subject...it is essentially like you going out in the sun for the first time in a year...you burn if you stay too long...

i just had some seeds sprout up... is it time for these to go to light? from what i read when they get to this point heat isnt as important as light
2011-04-21152035.jpg

2011-04-21152044.jpg

2011-04-21151943.jpg

Time to get them into the light. For me heat is just as important. I like to keep my seedlings at 73f to 77f for faster growth in my experience. Had my seedlings at 68f for a while and it was a snailspace.
Hope that helps.

Time to get them into the light. For me heat is just as important. I like to keep my seedlings at 73f to 77f for faster growth in my experience. Had my seedlings at 68f for a while and it was a snailspace.
Hope that helps.
thanks! i moved the ones that had sprouts out of the jiffy seed starter and into trays with no lids... gonna go get some soil tomorrow put them in little pots and start letting them start seeing the sun

I use Oasis cubes to germinate seeds in and that may make a difference as they stay wet, or at least relatively damp, but I move them to the GH as soon as the majority of the seeds in a tray have sprouted. The light, except directly in front of the windows is not quite as intense as direct sunlight, but close. But the temps are sometimes much higher - as high as 105. The seedlings thrive!

Mike

Back