• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds When do seedlings / germinated seeds need light?

mx5inpa said:
You got the simple explanation from someone who sees someone freaking out about their cotyledons dying because theyve never grown a plant before and dont feel like explaining, or dont know themselves what is actually going on.
I don't understand what you're saying. Anyways, phototropism, you've got a point.

Ocho Cinco said:
Just let it go. He'll drag it out for a long time if you keep feeding the beast.
 Yeah, I don't take this personal. lol Just funny how some people do. Atleast, thats the tone I picked up from it. I pretty much let it go by acknowledging his theory on phototropism. But yeah, dude no point.

Thanks man.

7potquezada said:
I don't understand what you're saying.

I am saying your statement about the cotyledons just being nutrient stores is the kind of answer someone who is freaking out about their cotys dying usually gets.

Ocho Cinco said:
I was just stating in another thread about how mx5 likes to be argumentative on many threads.

This is called cross posting, is specifically against the rules and is the MO of the true troll.

mx5inpa said:

I am saying your statement about the cotyledons just being nutrient stores is the kind of answer someone who is freaking out about their cotys dying usually gets.

This is called cross posting, is specifically against the rules and is the MO of the true troll.
Oh, cool. 

btw. what's cross posting? Just want to be in the know with the rules and all.

nvm, googled it. 

Guys, the picking of fights is getting old.  Keep it on topic or leave.  No need to comment if you are not helping out the thread or just trying to "prove" something to someone else.

7potquezada said:
So, you post a picture of seedlings...and that proves what? You grow plants, so do non-botanists. 

You've proven nothing.

To my knowledge the cotyledon stores nutrients for the plant to be. 

When the parent plant develops the seed, it expends energy developing the embryo inside the seed.  This embryo consists of the cotyldon (including leaves) but is a HOST, a consumer of the endosperm fuel surrounding it when it sprouts, since it does not yet have the cotyledon up and spread to catch light.

There is nothing about those leaves that is stored energy.  On the contrary energy is used to make them grow larger, then when there are no longer an efficient method of producing more energy from light by growing larger still, they simply shrivel away or fall off.  The plant does not "eat" or otherwise get gain from their shrinking, rather it aborts them to keep from incurring losses from a dead end growth pattern.

These cotyledon leaves do produce energy from light which is transported to the rest of the plant, but are not in themselves a form of energy storage.  This much is plainly stated on any seed diagram which describes the functions of each part.  Leaves are leaves.  Plants don't store energy in them.  They use the energy to grow more leaves.  Stored energy is wasted energy, it is not a bomb except for the endosperm which helps it explode out of the ground initially.

Well thanks for the discussion guys..
I have taken it out of the hot water cupboard and put it on the window sill in the sun..(not covered)
I don't have grow lights or anything fancy like that. It will end up out doors in about 6 months time if it survives..

Its actually just turning autumn here so is really the wrong time to be planting pepper seeds. I just thought I may as well give it a try as i have quite a few seeds from my current plants.
Im hoping I can keep it alive indoors over the autumn/winter and have a big head start come spring.

Got home from work today and it was up! (i had left it on the window sill all day)  :dance:  pretty cool to think that this pic was taken about 24 hours after the first pic in this thread..
Looks like another seed is also sprouting in there also...wish i could remember if these are the seeds i scared then soaked..i think they are..

20140317_1649061_zpsa46a46ac.jpg

This thread seems a little dodgey.. but...   I have just moved some newly germinated seeds from ziplock and paper towel to small cup with seed starter soil.  I have put them under my t5s.. should i cover them with seran wrap or such to keep in humidity - or should i leave em open to the air?

Thanks for the help..

pungentSapling said:
This thread seems a little dodgey.. but...   I have just moved some newly germinated seeds from ziplock and paper towel to small cup with seed starter soil.  I have put them under my t5s.. should i cover them with seran wrap or such to keep in humidity - or should i leave em open to the air?

Thanks for the help..

I would leave them open to the air once they have germed.
The reason I keep them in a covered container during germination is so I don't need to water them.

From Wikipedia:
 The cotyledons contain (or in the case of gymnosperms and monocotyledons, have access to) the stored food reserves of the seed. As these reserves are used up, the cotyledons may turn green and begin photosynthesis, or may wither as the first true leaves take over food production for the seedling.[1]

Trust me guys, the cotyledons(seed leaves) are there for evaporation and photosynthesize. The seedling will use this ligh energy to keep growing.

Maiden said:
Trust me guys, the cotyledons(seed leaves) are there for evaporation and photosynthesize. The seedling will use this ligh energy to keep growing.

Yup.  They wouldn't waste the energy and resources to produce chlorophyll if they weren't going to use it to photosynthesize.

Back