• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When do seedlings need light?

I have some seedlings starting to pop in a seedling tray in the airing cupboard. How long before I have to get them in cups under the light?

Reactions: Tex
I put them under as soon as I could see them above the surface.  I forgot about one I had seen earlier until the next day and it's currently twice the height of my other plants

Reactions: Tex
try to keep your lights about 3" above the plants place a small computer fan so it blows just below the lights ( to keep the heat from the lights to a minimal ) and move up as they grow       :onfire:

depending on what kind of lights you're using, 3 inches might be too hot for really small seedlings. Don't fry them. Let them adjust first, with the lights far enough away not to burn them, and move them closer as they acclimate.

OhioGrown said:
depending on what kind of lights you're using, 3 inches might be too hot for really small seedlings. Don't fry them. Let them adjust first, with the lights far enough away not to burn them, and move them closer as they acclimate.
What kind of lights would fry a perfectly good seedling?

Fluorescent lights don't give off much heat, but if you had something high wattage it might be a problem even with fluorescents. Of course HPS and MH lamps should be kept much further away due to higher wattage and higher running temperatures

I put my hand on top of the seedlings and then bring the light just close enough that the top of my hand can just feel the heat from the bulbs. Then I move the light up through the growth accordingly.

Posted again in 'Seedlings look like the are drying out', but they are looking exactly like they are frying to be honest. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they look dryer and less 'plump' than they did when I took them out of the propagator, but some have appeared to have nearly shrivelled away to nothing.

Back