• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When do you start your seeds?

Hi Pepper People!

I know this is covered in bits and pieces here and there but i am interested in seeing when all of you start your seeds.

A lot of us are planning for next season and i think it could be helpful. I think info like where in the world ya are, varieties, start and plant out dates and such is what im wondering.

Im in NY where we have winter and this will be my 3rd or so pepper season so i wanna rock it!!!

Through great folks and great vendors here ive gotten some nice seeds and am excited to get rolling in a few months.

I should say my current plan is to start my chinense around new years and my annuums a few weeks later for mothers day plant out based on how i did this year. And yes they will be under lights.

Cant wait to see what all you veteran growers are doing!!

Thanks

:fireball:  :onfire:  :fireball:

Good Q!! I was going to start Jan or so on the supper hots, but I have planted a few Red and Peach Ghost scorpions to get them going, I have a Red that is just starting to flower and really want a Peach Ghost scorpion. My Anaheim and Bells Etc I will start I think in March. I wish I had more lights and room or I would start all my Supper hots for next year now. :)

Annuums will get root bound in a 4" pot in 7-8 weeks if you have decent growing medium/lights.  I started mine 3 months before plant out and had some very struggling plants by the time I got them in the ground.

Chinense (most anyway) take about double that.  3-4 months is a pretty good length of time to get nice bushy plants in a 4" pot.

Frutescens/Baccatums seem to run about the 3 month range for me as well.

I haven't grown any Pubescens yet but I plan on giving them plenty of time.  I will be starting them next month with the plan of giving them 6 months from seed starting to plant out.

I grow year round using a greenhouse but there is no way I can get production in summer so I start my seeds whenever but I have to make sure to get some size on them before winter I'm trying get them around a foot and a half before fall next year.

Very cool people! Good info. Maybe i will start the annuums around Feb. Mine were a little root bound this year at plant out...

I agree with the bottom heat as well. Very key and not just for sprouting.

this year i stated my superhot in mid late febuary...    this year i will start them during chrismas holidays for sure... 

i will have some vacation time so i will have plenty of time to rig up my setup and start them to have decent plant in may to put outside.

PrimeTime said:
Joe should i start those wild brazils or wiris i got from you earlier than new years?
could not hurt i would say go for it
they might come in a little earlier
thanks your friend Joe
Mr. Hill said:
Good Q!! I was going to start Jan or so on the supper hots, but I have planted a few Red and Peach Ghost scorpions to get them going, I have a Red that is just starting to flower and really want a Peach Ghost scorpion. My Anaheim and Bells Etc I will start I think in March. I wish I had more lights and room or I would start all my Supper hots for next year now. :)
get them going as early you can, im personal friends with Jay and its been my exsperances with him and growing the GS myself that they are very pokey, the plants get tall and seem to first put more time into growth before podding

hope this helps some

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
im personal friends with Jay and its been my exsperances with him and growing the GS myself that they are very pokey, the plants get tall and seem to first put more time into growth before podding

hope this helps some

thanks your friend Joe
I had two Jay's Red GS going but the one that got smashed died this week. I want to say it's 3/4 months old now, I topped it, very little feed and kept it in a 1 lt pot in the GH so it hasn't grown very big maybe 8" now but it is starting to flower and have upped the Nuts as well it's under the light 12/12. I have more Red's and at lest one Peach cracked and plan on topping them about 6" tall as well as my other supper hots I hope to grow this winter.

I'm going to start my chinenses and pubes as soon as I get all my seeds together, hopefully by dec 1, I'm making small 4in diameter by 8in tall smart pots to keep them from getting rootbound. I'm guessing that will start me off pretty good. We'll see though. I'll start the other few in Jan. Total # of keepers: 32

Will be my first start to finish season.

ajijoe said:

get them going as early you can, im personal friends with Jay and its been my exsperances with him and growing the GS myself that they are very pokey, the plants get tall and seem to first put more time into growth before podding

Thanks for the tip Joe, I'm looking forward to trying some Jays Peach GSs. I'll keep this in mind.

AaronRiot said:
I'm going to start my chinenses and pubes as soon as I get all my seeds together, hopefully by dec 1, I'm making small 4in diameter by 8in tall smart pots to keep them from getting rootbound. I'm guessing that will start me off pretty good. We'll see though. I'll start the other few in Jan. Total # of keepers: 32

Will be my first start to finish season.

Thanks for the tip Joe, I'm looking forward to trying some Jays Peach GSs. I'll keep this in mind.
your welcome

I start my super hits a bit earlier than my other peppers, about 3-5 weeks before depending on last years experience. Supers take a lot more time to just grow into a decent seedling. So I started them oh January 3rd this year in the greenhouse with some supplemental lighting and heating pads and they sprouted fully about a week later.

I let them grow for about three weeks before planting my other peppers. Once they had all reached about 5 inches I switched them to the 6 inch pots where they stayed until April 17 or so, then they were planted.

Do you have any idea what types of peppers you will be growing?

Back