seeds When do you start your seeds?

I started my Chinense, Baccatums and long-season Annuums right after the start of the new year. Short to mid-season Annuums I started in February. Sowing a little early, letting the plant grow out several nodes and clipping the primaries to encourage a bushier habit will pay dividends in the long run.

LawrenceJ2007 said:
I start my super hits a bit earlier than my other peppers, about 3-5 weeks before depending on last years experience. Supers take a lot more time to just grow into a decent seedling. So I started them oh January 3rd this year in the greenhouse with some supplemental lighting and heating pads and they sprouted fully about a week later.

I let them grow for about three weeks before planting my other peppers. Once they had all reached about 5 inches I switched them to the 6 inch pots where they stayed until April 17 or so, then they were planted.

Do you have any idea what types of peppers you will be growing?

Still working on my list but it looks like im in line with everybody else that apply to my conditions. Thinking chinense around 12/28 and annuums around 2/1. If i get bored ill start a few of the hottest sooner just to get a germ idea.

Thanks again all for your contributions!

Happy Friday!!!!

Usually start my seeds the first of the year.  That was what I did for the past two seasons, with growing in containers.  This year, looking to save quite a bit more money.  So I'm growing in ground, and trying to not have to do too many pot ups before I put them in the ground in May.  So my plan is to start my Chinenses at the end of January, and my Annuums and other faster growing varieties in the end of February.  I'll germ them in paper towels, transfer them to plastic dixie cups with seed starting mix when they pop.  Then once they fill up the dixie cup with roots, I'll transfer them to 1 quart root pouches with Happy Frog potting mix.  They'll stay there until they are ready to go into the ground.  I'll be growing 40 plants.  Doing what I outlined above, I'll only have to buy 1 8 quart bag of seed starting mix, and 1 2 cubic foot bag of Happy Frog.  Should save me quite a bit of money!

Based on current weather down in Australia, I'm about two months late. Started late winter. Should have started beginning of winter. Plants are getting hit hard by the sun. Right size for the ground but wrong size for the weather. Another mistake I made and noted for next year!

Superhots on New Year's Day. Or now, depending on what it is and how much I need it for crosses. Everything else is March.

I'm in the same climate, i imagine, as you, Prime Time.  For the last few years, I've been starting them in late January, with only natural southern window light.  The result: my pods go red in late August, through to late October.  This year, I built a "grow-op", fitted with T8 grow  lights.  It has multiple teers, so I suppliment these primary light sources with 60W grow bulbs along the lower sides.  Along with the heat coming from a germination heat mat as well as a small space heater, I plan to start my seeds earlier...perhaps even as early as late November.  With the climate that you and I have to tolerate, we need a jump on growing like this, I think.  If it turns out to be too early, then I can always just keep them going inside, now, until the outdoor temps no longer drop below 60 degrees F.
I grow super hots: mostly Trinidad Scorpions, of which with some plants, I over-winter, which I'm doing now.

Back