• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake When grinding to make powder....

Okay I'm about to purchase a coffee grinder and I've never ground down chile's before so my question is....why do people pull out the seeds? Is it because they are hard to grind down or simply because people don't want seeds in the powder?

Thanks!

Save yourself some money and a lot of sneezing. If you have a blender just buy some Half Pint and Pint standard neck Mason jars. Unscrew the base of you blender off the pitcher, fill a mason, screw the base on, and BAM you have a great grinder with no fumes. Cofee grinders have vents to allow you to get that great aroma of coffee while grinding.....do you want that great aroma of pepper powder while grinding????

Seed removal is not in my book, but I have read some do it to get a finer powder since they don't always get finely ground. I turn the blender on high and walk away for 4-5 minutes, but some day I will have to try taking out the seeds first just for giggles.

I have a high speed grinder that work great and does not allow the dust out, but that mason jar idea is a great one I'mma gonna try it!!! The high speed grinders can make a fine powder my blender fails at it. I think most take the seeds out to grow em, I leave the seed in for coarse grinding regular hot red peppers.

Yeah I agree that the blender-mason jar idea is the bomb freaking diggity. but,.. I found out about that method after I bought my coffee grinder. My particular grinder does not let the fumes out. And It will reduce the pods to a powder as fine or finer than confectioners sugar in a matter of seconds seeds or no seeds.. But If you do not currently own a grinder save yourself the $20 bucks and use your blender! :cool:

....why do people pull out the seeds?

I have read that the seeds can be bitter, but I haven't experienced that.

So, I don't remove them either - I just pulverize into powder with a coffee grinder or blender (I've used both).

The best thing about the blender/mason jar combo is the volume of peppers you can process at one time. Coffee grinders can't handle as large a batch at once.

Okay folks I just want to say thanks to all of you who helped in this thread. Today I actually tested the mason jar and blender suggestion. I'm still amazed at how well it worked. I'll be doing a lot more of this from now on.

Thanks again!

Glad it worked. I just used it today to turn some double cherry smoked green bhuts and scorps into powder. Yummy cherry burn

I personally use a coffee grinder and pull out the majority of the seeds from the beginning. The way I see it, the membrane and seeds tend to taste a little more bitter than the sweet, fleshy part of the pod. That's why it always seems that the bottom of the pod (least membrane/seeds) has the best flavor. I remove the seeds because I consider them an 'impurity' of sorts in my powder. For flakes sometimes I leave them in but not always. If you grow superhots you really don't need it to be any hotter anyway, although I've thought of saving the membranes alone and trying to make scorp membrane powder or something. Imagine.... :mouthonfire: :hell: :mouthonfire:

The blender idea is ingenious. I have two blenders so one just got promoted. I love improvising mad scientist genius people!

I bought some of the mason jars on the weekend after taking the bottom cutter portion of the blender into the store and it fit absolutely perfect. An amazing discovery as far as I'm concerned but just wondering how full you can stuff the jars with dry pods and blend/power before wrecking the blender ? I was thinking powder then transfer to avoid the burn out of the motor ?

I bought some of the mason jars on the weekend after taking the bottom cutter portion of the blender into the store and it fit absolutely perfect. An amazing discovery as far as I'm concerned but just wondering how full you can stuff the jars with dry pods and blend/power before wrecking the blender ? I was thinking powder then transfer to avoid the burn out of the motor ?
In my experience...blender strong, dried pods weak. I pack mine, go at it, top it back up and go at it for another 3 or so minutes. Though everyone does it different. Honestly I can't remember how the forum member that clued me into this method last year recommended. Wish I could remember who it was to give them credit.......if they read this please speak up.

Sounds good, stuff and grind, restuff/add more and give her again....I fried 2 B&D coffee grinders last year but obviously a real blender would have much more HP (horse power) 8-)

Back