• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting When making a sauce with fermented peppers, is adding vinegar redundant?

Just trying to understand the science... Fermenting raises the acidity, creating an environment that keeps the nasties out. Vinegar does the same thing. So is it necessary to use vinegar if the peppers have been fermented? Or, is the acidity in the finished sauce not going to be enough with just fermented peppers, so vinegar is still necessary?

Also, do most commercial sauces use fermented peppers?

Conwayhotpeppers said:
I have a question. After fermenting I've read to bottle straight away OR process (cook) the mash and then bottle. Would the latter kill any lacto that you created, or alter the flavor? Would this make it more safe and shelf stable by killing off any potential bacteria that the ferment did not?
If you're going to bottle it, esp if planning on storing at room temperature, you need to cook it first. Or else the lacto will continue to ferment and create CO2 and pressurize your bottle, potentially creating some exploding nastiness. Yes, this kills the lacto.

I suppose you could bottle it without cooking if you were going to keep it in the fridge and open it periodically to vent any new CO2

Back