• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When should I start?

I was curious if anyone knew when the best time to start germinating my super hot seeds here in Kentucky would be? I have read several times that the bhut's can take long periods of time to sprout. I would like to have them about 8 inches and ready for transplant into the garden by May 1st. Oh ya, and do all the super hots have about the same germinantion period? It would be nice if I could start them all at once. Any info would be appreciated.

Last year, I started some Bhuts on December 26. This year, I have sowed some 7-pots today. The first seed germinated on January 6. I'm in Cincy, about two weeks behind you as far as early plant-out times.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

I started all of my chinense the 3rd and 4th week of January last year and will do the same this year...the annuums were started the last week of February...

its good to start early but u dont want he plants to get too big for the pot so i would say 1st,feb. is best for u, u will have three months it might take the super hot up to 4weeks to germinate but they grow very fast most of the c.chinense ( the habanero type pepper) have big leafs and need space , so u should consider that when u plant

Thanks for the information. That gives me time to figure out how to build a cheap grow station. I went to lowes tonight and got a few idea. About all I can afford is a storage bin set up. Ah well, thats for another post.

Southern-Pepper said:
Thanks for the information. That gives me time to figure out how to build a cheap grow station. I went to lowes tonight and got a few idea. About all I can afford is a storage bin set up. Ah well, thats for another post.

Nothing wrong with the storage bin setup, that's the route I'm taking.

I usually start all my C. chinenses in January, but you'll need enough light and space to support these plants until you can keep them outside.
Good luck

it really depends on your growing method you'll use, if you're going all out with everything setup or just window light.
the everything setup you most likely wouldnt need to start very early, the window light method you'll need to start alot earlier.

I do the window light method, takes longer but alot cheaper & works. I start my seeds late Dec. or 1st week of Jan. I painted a standing shelf all flat white & the cardboard backing I put on it, to help reflect light back onto the plants.

chilehunter said:
it really depends on your growing method you'll use, if you're going all out with everything setup or just window light.
the everything setup you most likely wouldnt need to start very early, the window light method you'll need to start alot earlier.

I do the window light method, takes longer but alot cheaper & works. I start my seeds late Dec. or 1st week of Jan. I painted a standing shelf all flat white & the cardboard backing I put on it, to help reflect light back onto the plants.

Potawie and Chilehunter....I found a shop rack on sale. If I buy it I will be using 4 forty watt daylight bulbs per shelf, with a possible box in and white paint if it would help GREATLY. I checked into mylar but it was a little too pricey. Otherwise I will leave the rack open in a room that stays around 68F degrees, with a heatmat under the starts only. Any ideas on how this would affect my starting times. Like I stated in my original post, I would like to get them to around 8 inches and then transplant to the garden. Thanks!

I am in northeast Ohio.Ihave allways stated all my seeds on New Year Day for the last 20-30years. I do have racks and 10 4foot 2tube light sets
all ways work out well

I used to start them all in January, but it's too hard to maintain that many large plants. With Pubecens, I really have no choice but to start them around 1/15 for a 6/1 plant out if I ever want pods to ripen. I feel 2/10 to 2/15 is ideal starting date for C. Chinenses and C. Frutescens. Wilds should be started super early I think. C. Annuums, Baccatums I start 3/1 to 3/15 w/success.

Back