• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil When the top of the soil looks light and dry

how long should I leave them dry b4 I water? I have read here the peppers don't like it too wet for too long. How long should I leave it dry b4 I water? I realize that even if the top looks dry there is moisture underneath.... What is a good barometer?

My rule of thumb for too dry is when the plant's leaves start to wilt. In the summer when temps hit the mid 90's this can be in one day. This time of the year, it may take 5 days without watering...

In pots ? - I usually do a weight test ! Find out what is really dry.
So if you think its dry now, pick up the pot ! And then water it and get a feel for the two weights.
It is the only way I know if my indoor is wet ! I use ebb & flow so the top of the soil is always dry .

I 'weigh' my pots also by estimating with my hand. I have used a good mix of perlite and vermiculite and mostly bottom water so the top is dry quite often. I give the top a sprinkle of water every 2 weeks or so to wash some nutes down.

Im getting away with watering once every 7 days at the minute but before adding the perlite it was every other day.

Chris

PeteyPepper said:
My rule of thumb for too dry is when the plant's leaves start to wilt. In the summer when temps hit the mid 90's this can be in one day. This time of the year, it may take 5 days without watering...

I'm with Petey :). It al depends on conditions.

I'm with chilliman, go with the weight test. Cups, pots, whatever - when they need water they will "feel" light. It's intuitive.

Worlok,

I like to be conservative when it comes to watering. In other words, I don't nearly water peppers like I do other plants and vegetables. I also mostly use large pots with at least a nice big hole in the bottom covered with a coffee filter or other porous medium that pretty much gives me very well draining conditions.

Back