When to pick ghost peppers

Jeff H said:
Am I the only one that thinks those pods look too smooth to be a pure bhut jolokai? Not sure if the leaves look quite right either. ghost leaves are a little 'rougher for lack of a better word' around the edges rather than smooth like most chinense. 

The shape of the two large pods in pic two is close, but the rest don't look like any ghost I have ever seen. Maybe some hab- ghost hybrid?

+1 looks more like a red hab or savina, I have had peppers flower and produce peppers while still in solo cups, and still turn out full ghost

Phil said:
hmmmm... as small as the pot pictured above? Judging by the size of the trunk on that tree, it's a mighty mature plant! Looking nice!

That's very close up.  It's in a pot the same size or smaller.  That "tree" is a stick maybe one and a half times (maybe 2) thicker than a pencil.

DSCF2146.jpg

Far right.  Have to look back at his posts, but I don't think it's much bigger.  That's about a gallon I think.

Maybe twice the size.  The one on the far left I think looks the size of his.  Need clarification OP.  Our internet argument is about to hijack your thread.  :)

Argument? Nay... debate! Okay.... enough of this here. Anyhoo.... I think those ghosts would be better served in a larger pot.

Pepperhead said:
That's very close up.  It's in a pot the same size or smaller.  That "tree" is a stick maybe one and a half times (maybe 2) thicker than a pencil.

DSCF2146.jpg

Far right.  Have to look back at his posts, but I don't think it's much bigger.  That's about a gallon I think.
I say you turn that pool in the backround into 1 big pot for those bhuts!!

am goind to be transfering them to a big hug pot tonight.  gonna find a 5+ gallon one.  Let this thing turn into a tree lol.

coheed196 said:
My .02 is that I agree with whoever said it earlier...they look entirely too smooth for a Red Bhut. I specify red because my whites are very smooth.

Whitebhuts7413_zpsa1cf153d.jpg

Ripewhitebhut7313_zpscf07c8f3.jpg

Is that a cross breed with another pepper. More info please?   I wanna know why my peppers arnt "normal" looking lol..  Could it be the fact the plant is only 1 year old and in a smaller pot...

I have bhuts that are sort of oval shaped, carrot shaped and pumpkinny with a stinger.  I chalk it up to unstable hybrid. :P

I don't know if the whites are a cross or a natural mutation but I got my seeds from Pepperlover.

No, yours not being normal looking has nothing to do with age or the pot size. For example: this was a few weeks back. It's a plain ol red bhut. It was still in its original 1 gallon pot and was planted this season. I believe you have a cross and that it is not a true bhut jolokia.

20130717_150217_20130717150406703_zpseb6843a8.jpg

20130717_150202_20130717150344522_zpsc396ddf8.jpg

coheed196 said:
I don't know if the whites are a cross or a natural mutation but I got my seeds from Pepperlover.

No, yours not being normal looking has nothing to do with age or the pot size. For example: this was a few weeks back. It's a plain ol red bhut. It was still in its original 1 gallon pot and was planted this season. I believe you have a cross and that it is not a true bhut jolokia.

20130717_150217_20130717150406703_zpseb6843a8.jpg

20130717_150202_20130717150344522_zpsc396ddf8.jpg

Ah, ok, well it is still a hot ass pepper..   My buddy's love peppers now too that i got them into it..  He has oredered ghost peppers and said myn are hotter so?

Maybe its good i dont know.  Ok well now its time to get this thing growing

1075663_10151792043433530_1971854388_n.jpg

Seeing all of this success in smaller pots is encouraging! I always thought you needed big pots to do it right. I like finding out that that information is wrong! I'm going to remember this for next season. Valuable info, since my grow space is limited and very congested this year

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first attempt to growing Ghost Peppers. I realize this post is old, and hopefully someone will see it and I can get an answer. I have 2 plants, they both have a numerous amount of peppers on them (see Pics). I just don't know when it is the correct time to pick them off. I plan on putting them into a brown paper bag and drying them out, then crushing them (outside of course) and using the powder. If someone could give me some advice as to when I should/could pick them, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Homeuser said:
 I just don't know when it is the correct time to pick them off. I plan on putting them into a brown paper bag and drying them out, then crushing them (outside of course) and using the powder. If someone could give me some advice as to when I should/could pick them, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

In the middle of the 3rd pic, the bumpy red one is ripe.

Unless you live in a hot/dry area the paper bag probably won't work, try this.> http://www.food.com/recipe/oven-dried-hot-peppers-flakes-or-powder-73907

When they are completely red they're ready. But they can hang on there for a few days after, even a week or two.

Back