• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to pick?

My scotch bonnets and super chilli are begining to go red slowly a few at a time. Is it best to pick them once they are red or leave them on the plant for a while. As i only have a couple of plants i need to save the fruit up until I have enough to use.I dont want them to spoil while the others ripen.

daz

You'll likely get a variety of opinions on this subject. A better question is what are you going to do to save up the ones that are ripe while the other ones come around? If all the pods set out at about the same time, it shouldn't be much of a problem. However, if you had a good break between the setting out of pods, it could be problematic. (This happened with some of mine.) If you leave them on the plant more than a week after they become fully ripe, they might start breaking down so the pods can drop their seeds. If you pull them off the plant and just refrigerate them, they're still going to last in the fridge only so long. So depending upon the length of time between pods and what you ultimately plan to do with them, you might want to do something like freeze or dry your early pods.

I agree with geeme. If you're saving seeds, then you need them to be as ripe as possible on the plant. If you're going to eat them depends on the variety. Banana peppers are picked when on the yellow side. For habaneros and other similar peppers, just before they completely ripen. For jals, usually they're picked green or when almost competely ripe. Etc. Etc. Etc.

My scotch bonnets and super chilli are begining to go red slowly a few at a time. Is it best to pick them once they are red or leave them on the plant for a while. As i only have a couple of plants i need to save the fruit up until I have enough to use.I dont want them to spoil while the others ripen.

daz
Just pick and freeze them as ripened and make the sauce/dry for powder when you have enough for a load.

For fresh salsa it doesn't take too many, so use them as picked for the crisp crunch.

I just keep a plastic bowl in the freezer and drop them in until I have the number I need for what I want to make.

I recommend ziplocks instead of the bowl - push all the air out before sealing. Otherwise you risk freezer burn.

I agree for long storage. I have never had freezer burn when they are in there for only a week or so until more are ready. For long storage I freeze in the bowl then vacuum seal them and throw back in the freezer.
100_0495.jpg

I doubt that it's either right or wrong, but I do the following:

Tabasco: Light-green or yellow. They seem to never want to ripen here in Ohio, and when they do, I find their taste to be too strong and overwhelming. Their heat is different when red too, and not in a good way IMO (sharp, quick, and short-lasting). I like them better full-sized and just about ready to change color for the first time. Orange is not too bad either, but I avoid red; not hard to do considering it takes so long to reach it. Because my plant produced so many peppers last year compared to everything else I grew, this is the variety I have the most experience in with the various color stages. I had 20-40 orange and red peppers vs. 250+ green and yellow ones.

Jalapenos: I make sure they're red-ripe, with the intention of having them get sweeter before harvesting. Actually, they tend to get a bit soft by the time I get to them... they should probably be picked *right* when they're completely red, just before they're fully red, or when mature but still completely green if you want them crunchier (like for jalapeno poppers). I've found it hard to time it with only a couple plants though; they never seem to ripen in batches when you want them to. All I know is, when red, I love these in slices on pizza. And damn... they get hot.

Habaneros (and other chinenses): I try to let them change completely to their final color while on the plant; again, to let the peppers' full flavors and sweetness come out.

I haven't done much testing at different stages for most peppers though; I just go by my theory (not sure how accurate it is) that the peppers will have about reached their prime heat and sweetest/fullest flavor right around or just after turning fully ripe (reaching their final color) while still maintaining much of their crunchiness. If you want them crunchier and/or less sweet, then it would make sense to pick them sooner.

Back