• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to Transplant?

This may be a dumb request but Could someone post a picture of what the seeds look like when it's time to remove them from the filters and transplant them into the pots?

I just don't want to wait to long or guess and mess up all my work thus far, at this point I have some roots coming out some up to 1/2" but I assume I am waiting for the sprout and first leaf is this correct?

Here's what they looked like two days ago with the root starting, some have doubled in lenth.
DSC01221.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

Those are plenty good. That's about where mine were at when they went into soil. Plant about 3 times the diameter wide....rule of thumb

So I should plant them rather than waiting on the shoot to pop out, root faceing down I assume?

I plant mine as soon as I can see the root poking out. At that point you know its gonna grow. Just drop it in your potting mix. Don't worry which way the root is facing. Nature knows what to do.

Thats awesome then, do I need to keep the heat on them or will they be ok at room temps?

sorry for all the questions this is first my run :D

I've had luck using a somewhat similar germination method, but I waited to move them into soil and under lights until the cotyledons were developed and the seed shell was shed. Sometimes the shell doesn't come off completely, though, and you have to perform some delicate seedling surgery. So far I haven't decapitated any during this process.

('Seed shell was shed' sounds like a tongue-twister).

About 1/4" deep and it doesn't matter what side is up…they correct themselves anyways!!

I germinated 550 plants this season using your format.

knowing that maybe I'll plant half and keep half in the baggies to see what works best for me, if I plant half of the seeds now do I need to keep heat on them?

I would just plant them all now if you see sprouts. I did this and every single one of mine came up. I don't see the point in waiting for them to grow longer. If anything, the roots could get tangled in the coffee filter and then you risk breaking them and killing them.

After transplanting, I would keep them on the heat until they just emerge from the soil and then remove them right away or they will get real leggy. Once I see hooks, I take them off the heat mat and put them under lights.

Sorry to ask such basic questions I just like to confirm what I think I know and have read at this point, having never grown any vegetables this is a whole new process and I would hate to loose plants over a simple mistake.

I'll plant all the seeds that have roots tomorrow and keep them warm.

Thank you all for the help, I will update my grow thread with pics tomorrow. :D

Sorry to ask such basic questions I just like to confirm what I think I know and have read at this point, having never grown any vegetables this is a whole new process and I would hate to loose plants over a simple mistake.

I'll plant all the seeds that have roots tomorrow and keep them warm.

Thank you all for the help, I will update my grow thread with pics tomorrow. :D

good luck man. they all look good so far.. good germination percentage.. as far as i can see ( love to see them little buggers grow. sorry to ask if it already had been... but what u growing?

Here's the list
White Habanero Pepper
RED SAVINA Habanero
Caribbean Habanero
Red Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Bhut Jolokia
Jalapeño
Thai Hot peppers

knowing that maybe I'll plant half and keep half in the baggies to see what works best for me, if I plant half of the seeds now do I need to keep heat on them?

I planted them in 72 cell trays with 8" domes and placed them on heat mat set for 82°F until they grew about 1" to 1-1/2" high. I pulled the plugs to inspect their root growth almost daily and if I saw roots they were potted up. This method worked great for me!!

I would put them in soil now.

I did it both ways, had more success putting them in soil sooner. I kept heat on them until they broke through the soil, then put em under lights.

On the ones I waited to transplant, some of the roots got stuck in the papertowels. I felt I had to be much more delicate with them. Not something I'm very good at.

Go with your gut.

aaactually... you can save a few days of growth time by actually waiting until the seed casing is shed or almost shed.
i've done it both ways and the plants that i waited to transplant always out-do the ones that went in first.

Back