• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When will I have peppers??

I live in a tiny, rinky-dink town of less than 2,000 30 miles outside of Scranton in the middle of nowhere. Once a year, we have "Old Home Week" which the town has a party. This year, it's August 2-4th.

Planting time here is May 1st, so the question is: will I have peppers for August 2nd- three months later? Or do they all come later in the season.

I could throw a hot pepper eating contest in town if I had the peppers.

It depends on how well you create a good base for them. For me it takes quite a while to grow as I am still learning. Others on here have some crazy fast growth rates I envy.

FYI like others have mentioned, start trying the search feature a bit more. We all get over zealous about growing so take some time first to see if you can find your answer... you will probably learn more along the way of your search.

If you define "planting time" as the time you put plants in the ground, you'll have pods by the first of August, depending upon the variety. On the other hand, if you define "planting time" as the time you first start seeds, not likely. Cross Country Nursery's website has a chart that lists all kinds of chiles: http://www.chileplants.com/chart.aspx . In the Search section to the left, click the All Seasons drop-down, and choose a season type. You'll see a list of the chiles that mature in roughly the timeframe they're talking about. Again, depends upon when seeds were started. Here's a link to their definition of "season" timing: http://www.chileplants.com/chiles.aspx

The answer to your question depends on a few things... are we talking chinenses or anuums, or both? will you be sowing your seeds in May?... or have you already germinated the seeds? If you plan to wait until May to start then you will probably not have any chinense peppers ready by August (as they usually begin* to really produce at the start of august when started late), but anuums should be abound (as they produce peppers at a consistent rate throughout the summer and fall months.) If you have started earlier then you could stand a chance of having a few of the first chinense pods ripening by the time of your festival. If you really really want to have some super-hot pods to share by early august, and you do not have very large plants currently, then you may want to invest in a live plant from one of the seed vendors when they begin to ship them this spring. A cutting from one of them would presumably be from good stock (a proven producer) and would be farther along (thus being closer to "crowning"-- when the chinense species produce a "crown of flowers all at once, which, a month later, will be a crown of peppers ripening all at once.

when will i have peppers??

how long is a piece of string?

just worry about getting them in the ground and staying healthy.

Lol.... seriously!? the guy asked a question... either give a helpful response or move on... dont try to make him look like a fool for asking a legitimate question.... the way some of you have responded to his and others' questions puts me off...

And about the whole "use the search engine before posting"..... people with similar questions would find the answer by referencing this* post in the future.... or would you like to assert that the answer to this particular question as well as most questions was/were answered on day two of THP.com back in 05' and that all should refer to those 6 year old posts to find out whats up!?!?!?! Stagnation man..... Ive participated in multiple forums on all sorts of topics... and there are always those who would like to constantly berate newcomers who have questions by telling them "figure it out for yourself by referencing other people's prior questions" (which I guess are supposed to be the legitimate questions!?!?!?!)

Lol.... seriously!? the guy asked a question... either give a helpful response or move on... dont try to make him look like a fool for asking a legitimate question.... the way some of you have responded to his and others' questions puts me off...
im being dead serious. just worry about keeping them healthy!!!

I think the fact that he is going to care for his peppers properly is clearly assumed within the context of his question.... he is asking a fairly specific question for which there are good responses and completely useless ones. I tried to give a fair, contingent response to advise him on how he can* get at lest a few peppers for his festival.

The most correct answer is somewhere around 90 days after germination. That's considering the plants are given the right conditions. Not sure if it's the same for superhots, but for most peppers, 90-105 days after germination.

And Moruga... if all else fails... I am sure there are some members of the community who would be willing to supplement your pepper eating contest. ;-)

... a tiny, rinky-dink town ...in the middle of nowhere...has a party. This year, ...
I could throw a hot pepper eating contest ...

Youtube, Ridiculousnrss, AFV should all pay good money for this one. "Everybody hold up their pepers. On the count of three..."

You don't have to worry about me asking any more stupid questions.

Nah, hell with that. Everybody here asks questions. No such thing as stupid questions. Everybody in this forum gets excited like a kid at Christmas when the new season starts. It's okay to ask questions that you don't know the answers to or wouldn't know where to begin to search for the answer. Don't let anyone discourage you. Within just a few short months, you're gonna go from asking questions to answering them because you'll have some growing experience under your belt. Grow on, buddy! Be successful! The best way to achieve that is to ask!

Moruga don't get all bent out of shape. You know well that you've asked a lot of questions that have been beyond questions even a new grower would ask. Just because someone finally got a little tired of it doesn't mean you need to try and toss some guilt out and stomp away. This place is full of knowledge and information. Most questions have been asked and answered many times. Doing some searching not only answers your question but you can learn things you didn't even know you wanted to learn.

Back