• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Where is the heat?

A while back I read that the capsaicin was produced in the central placenta of the pod.
People think that its the seeds that are hot, but they are not. Being situated along the placenta means they will have capsaicin on them.

I just read somewhere on a chilli seeds site that its the oils from the seed that contain the capsaicin.

So if one wanted to de-heat a pod, would you remove the placenta, or the seeds, or what?
If you removed the seeds and placenta from dorset naga, would the walls be sweet? Assuming no capsaicin rubbed off from the seeds or placenta?

Can we get a verdict?

Capsaicin is IN all parts of the chilli apart from the seeds and the stem AFAIK. If you wanted to make a chilli LESS HOT you could remove the placenta however there will still be cap in the flesh.

Try it.

Capsaicin glands are on the edge of the placenta, but they are glands. They are not the only place it exists, they are the source.

De-heat a pod? Non-alcoholic beer???

Presumably if you could shave off the very inside layer of the pod and leave only exterior meat then you would have a pretty heat-less pod. But like everyone else is saying, why would you want to.

Try it like this. Wash a pod, shave off just a little bit of meat from the outside, use a very sharp knife and do not make it all the way into the pod. Do this around the pod so that you can get enough meat to taste, then eat and see how much heat there is. Or even use a peeler if you need to.

Heh, I had to make this just because.... ;)

NoWimpy.jpg

Maybe he wants to munch on a naga to see what it tastes like, which you can do with the heat it just hurts more. So yeah, Wimpy icon applies lol.

I dont want to de-heat a pod, its just that ive heard conflicting reports.
Some recipes say take the seeds out to lessen the heat, but ive heard different.

The seeds hold little, if any, of the heat. But in the process of de-seeding a pod, you'll probably scrape out a good bit of the parts that DO hold some of the heat. I usually cook with them whole. I don't mind the seeds in most cases.

Inasmuch as the seeds and placenta share a common environment as you can see from the pictures, both are picante. If you take the seeds out, some of the picante goes away. If you remove the placenta and keep the seeds, picante will be reduced.

If you remove the seeds and placenta, picante is reduced more but there is still picante in the chile flesh.

yup, the seeds themselves are inert..the lining AROUND the seeds has mass cap in it, but not much ya can do bout that...after that, the placenta it's in has the nost heat, then the lining of the chile walls.

If ya take out the plancenta an stuff, it'll reduce the heat..btu in a chile liek a naga..it'll still hurt.

The whole pourpose of the heat is to pretect the sedds from predators.....birds who spread the seeds cant feel it..it'sa Darwin thang.

Back