• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Where to Buy Cost Effective Perlite and Vermiculite Central Florida

HI everyone! I was wondering if there was a place to get cheap(er) perlite or vermiculite around the Central Florida (Orlando) area? I would even do mail order as long as the shipping wasn't outrageous. I'm looking myself but everything seems to be around the same price. I was just wondering if anyone had an insight. Thanks! 

Genie

I don't live in Florida, but I would say that Walmart would be your best bet for a good price by the bag, if you have walmart there. Having it shipped to you might be too expencive, you might check with some of the Bigger greenhouse and plant suppliers that sell compost, topsoil and soil additives by the bulk.

KingLeer - That seems like...a lot of perlite. Like a lot. lol Am I correct? Isn't Perlite around 2lbs per cubic foot? 

Wal-mart only carries MG Perlite, which I don't have a problem with, but it's 4 dollars for 8qarts. Which in the long run is very epensive. I was thinking of going to home depot but this nursery that KingLeer told me about might be better. :) 

yeah you don't want from walmart / depot stuff, nurseries sell the bulk bags for 20$ its about 2cuft (the same as a mulch or soil bag)

Koreansoul said:
KingLeer - That seems like...a lot of perlite. Like a lot. lol Am I correct? Isn't Perlite around 2lbs per cubic foot? 

Wal-mart only carries MG Perlite, which I don't have a problem with, but it's 4 dollars for 8qarts. Which in the long run is very epensive. I was thinking of going to home depot but this nursery that KingLeer told me about might be better. :)

Koreansoul said:

Call them first to check availability, the last time I was there they only had 2 bags out on the floor.  I actually need to go purchase another bag because I've gone through the first one.

I used most of the first bag to amend the 16'x10' addition to my garden plot last spring.  The remainder I've been using to roll-my-own potting soil mix as needed for the litter bucket container garden.

My local homedepot stocks these for around 16$ And its nice and chunky!

August5005.jpg

I went to Lukas on the way home from the mud run today and picked up a 4 cu.ft bag of coarse perlite for $19.99, they had 3 more bags in stock.

They also had 4 cu.ft bags of vermiculite for $24.99

HI all! King, I called Lukas and then I called another place here called Diamond R Fertilizer and all I can say is wow. A 4cu Ft bag of Perlite is 9.00. A 4cu ft bag of Vermiculite is 10.35. Cheapest I've ever found and that much will last me a long long time. :) 

Those price are rock bottom I'd say. That's the size I buy at about twice that price. At a typical 33% mix, the perlite will mix about 15 5gal containers. I  don't use  much vermiculite except in a SIP bucket blend. 

Yeah, those prices can't be beat! I use vermiculite because of trial and error. I find that the plants do better with a mix of perlite and vermiculite. No idea why. Perhaps the perlite aerates better and the vermiculite holds moisture better (just a guess)? No clue but the plants love it. 

Let me put out a little caveat. I haven't grown the super hots until this year (Habs were the hottest before) but the mix works with my other veggies like bell peppers cabbage etc etc. The hots might not like it but they seem too so far lol. 

G
Kingleer - If you do well with your 7pot I'd be interested in some seeds! 

I bought small bags off both from amazon at decent prices. Depends on the size of your operation.

I believe vermiculite is more like a sponge, while perlite holds it in the pores on the outside, and won't compress like vermiculite under weight. Squished vermiculite is useless.

Yep that's what i says lol. Is the bag as big as you? ;) 
Ok so 20lbs is 4cu ft (according to things). If you have a Double R Fertilizer close to you use them! 

Koreansoul said:
Yep that's what i says lol. Is the bag as big as you? ;)

Ok so 20lbs is 4cu ft (according to things). If you have a Double R Fertilizer close to you use them! 
I'm not very tall so yeah, it comes up to my chest almost :)

Back