• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

where to get a good heating pad CHEAP

My heating pad is near useless. I was wondering where to get a good heating pad. I have a light n my seedlings now and is drying the heck out of them. I don't want to spend a ton of money but i would like to be able to sprout a good number of seeds at a time.

kylestl said:
My heating pad is near useless. I was wondering where to get a good heating pad. I have a light n my seedlings now and is drying the heck out of them. I don't want to spend a ton of money but i would like to be able to sprout a good number of seeds at a time.

If you have a menards near you, you can get a heating pad and a 72 cell seed starter with lid for like 20 bucks. It's the cheapest I've found

waht brand is it i want to find some closer suppliers
ExtremeBurn said:
If you have a menards near you, you can get a heating pad and a 72 cell seed starter with lid for like 20 bucks. It's the cheapest I've found

at what temp does the thing keep them at and could you get me like a pic of what it looks like new cause i might have found it dunno

kylestl said:
at what temp does the thing keep them at and could you get me like a pic of what it looks like new cause i might have found it dunno

Ya, I'll post a pic. It's keeps the soil right around 80 degrees. I had 143 out of 144 seeds germinate with this set up. It works great!

walmart

grow kit with all the stuff $27.99 can

had mine for 5 years now and works good.

our big greenhouse has a unit I made with 2x6 and a old waterbed heater.

holds 32 plug trays

shayneyasinski said:
our big greenhouse has a unit I made with 2x6 and a old waterbed heater.

That is such a great idea. I think podpiper uses a waterbed setup for germination too. I WISH I hadn't thrown my old waterbed away when I moved a few years ago but I didn't forsee using it for my future gardening needs.

caroltlw said:
That is such a great idea. I think podpiper uses a waterbed setup for germination too. I WISH I hadn't thrown my old waterbed away when I moved a few years ago but I didn't forsee using it for my future gardening needs.

I put a free ad in the local bargan hunter and received 25 to 30 calls in less than a week with people saying they had one for free or around 10 bucks.

seems like anyone with a waterbed got rid of the bed but kept the heater for an unknown reason.

shayneyasinski said:
I put a free ad in the local bargan hunter and received 25 to 30 calls in less than a week with people saying they had one for free or around 10 bucks.

seems like anyone with a waterbed got rid of the bed but kept the heater for an unknown reason.

I was thinking I could use the whole bed (if I had a house with plenty of room, etc) and put seed trays on top of the mattress to keep them at a constant temp. You could germinate a LOT of seedlings at one time with a setup like that. Or for something smaller, maybe an aquarium heater with a built-in adjustable thermostat.
Can't do it right now though I do think about these things late at night sometimes.

i found the waterbed heater seemed to work, but the temp of it was weird , i like the idea of the Whole Bed as part of the problem is they go on Temps.. so if its not under a tonnne of water they vary a lot and have to keep checking temps,, i did find though that when i put like 6 inch pots filled with potting mix, it worked heaps better prob due to the fact there was more soil in the pot so the seeds were like heaps away from the heater, rather than a minigreen house or seedling trays where the seeds were an inch or so from it.. the Pots Rocked and thats all ill use this season as can prob put like 30 pots on 1 waterbed heater

bought bout 4 heatpads from ebay,$20 each if had theromstats in $120.. So
wernt themostatically controlled, fix that by buying 1 thermo control box $50 and then plug a 4 point power board into that and all the heat pads off that,, then as use minigreen houses that are the same,, the temp probe from the thermostat goes into 1 of the mini greenhouses.. that 1 controls the temp of the lot :) heaps cheaper.

theHippySeedCo said:
i like the idea of the Whole Bed as part of the problem is they go on Temps.. so if its not under a tonnne of water they vary a lot and have to keep checking temps

Yeah, I know from sleeping on one for many years that the thermo kicks on and off when I can't even tell the difference in the temperature of the water. It acts as a giant heat sink and distribution system. Throw a blanket over everything and it uses hardly any power after the initial warm-up.
And like was said above, you can probably get the whole setup for free or close to it if someone's throwing one away. All you need is room for it and it may leak (a throwaway one) so garage or similar would be a good place for it.

my bed setup is simple.

2x6 frame of any size then I layed down cheap 1/2 inch foam insulation for homes then the waterbed heater and thermostat and few layers of poly in case one had a leak.
now I have a basic pond..... now I fill with water and cover with a few more layers of poly and in 12 hours its as warm as I set it and perfect for multy plug trays and whatever other container I want to heat up.

20 bucks tops for the stuff you need to get a big scale warmer up n runnin.

after 4 years of use my first one is still leak free and will get most seeds up in about a week!!

hey if you all are still looking for a free waterbed heater try craigslist.org for your area. Folks give that kind of stuff away everyday or post in the wanted section.

Back