• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Where to get Ladybugs

Not sure if this was the right area for this, so if it isn't, mods feel free to move it.

Where all do you get your ladybugs from for eating aphids and for occasionally training them to all gather together and use their collective strength to lift the neighbor's annoying kid and fly him into the next county?

I thought you would enjoy that.

Let's put it here.

Can you tell I'z been drinkin'?

Time to go mess wit TB.

thehotpepper.com said:
Can you tell I'z been drinkin'?

Time to go mess wit TB.

Wait! I can't drink for an hour yet! Screwing with me won't be any fun unless I'm lit too! Dammit Janet!!

Cheers, soon to be drinking, TB.

I used to have a bunch of them that were getting into my home office last year. Still probably have a bunch of dead ones in the window sill if you want 'em. :) I'll have to keep an eye out and see if I can catch a bunch and try to get them into the garden. I didn't realize ladybugs were so good for a garden. I see a few here and there resting on my pepper plants... guess they're on aphid alert?

A may have to get some. I ordered 2000 green lacewing eggs and I don't think a single one hatched.

I have one. (Lady bug) My son was just carrying it around.

:puts ladybug in envelop and mails to IGG:

I get mine locally. Home Depot used to sell them, but not anymore. Around here I have at three places that sell them:
Ace Hardware
Armstrong Garden Centers
Roger's Gardens

Those might only be helpful to people in Southern California, but look around in your area and visit some of the smaller nurseries and gardening shops, you might find ladybugs and even praying mantises.

Thanatopsis said:
http://www.growquest.com/free_ladybugs.htm

There you go, 1500 of them for $6.49.
I went to do this place and it says that they are undergoing a change and can only charge my cc (read: debit card, I don't have a CC) for the shipping and the rest is COD. WTF? I emailed them asking if that was an old note or if they can work with me regarding a different form of payment and didn't get a response back.
joeknowsjolokia said:

While that is a good price, the shipping would have cost me $20+!!!

So, I went with This Place Right Here. While expensive priced for 2,000 GirlyBugs, shipping is free, making it worth it.

I just liked gardenzone's care for detail when shipping. They atleast try to get them to you alive. Well atleast ,its in there thought process. The sight you listed just said no guarantee!

I tried the first list and the site doesn't work and no one answers the phone, the second company garden zone also wanted to charge $20 when they could have easily put them in a small usps priority mail box for $4.60. Following Zanders suggestion I called 3 spots and found them for sale at a local ace hardware for $6.50 for 1500 and tax. Because i'm in California and we just had the largest tax hike in the history of taxes I will still have to pay another $2.00, but I get them today and can ensure they are alive!

Thanks for the tip Zander!

LGHT said:
I tried the first list and the site doesn't work and no one answers the phone, the second company garden zone also wanted to charge $20 when they could have easily put them in a small usps priority mail box for $4.60. Following Zanders suggestion I called 3 spots and found them for sale at a local ace hardware for $6.50 for 1500 and tax. Because i'm in California and we just had the largest tax hike in the history of taxes I will still have to pay another $2.00, but I get them today and can ensure they are alive!

Thanks for the tip Zander!

I've looked locally here and no ones has them. I remember living in CA and EVERYONE had them. :(

Just wanted to share my results.

I picked up 1500 from Ace for about $7.50. The girl said the best way to use them is to store them in the refridgerator for at least an hour first. This will make them sleep and slow them down a bit when you release them. Next release them into the garden during dusk when the sun is about to set. She said this is the time that the naturally make and find a home for the night as again they are NOT active during the cold times and if there is food available will stay for several days and reproduce. The last tip was to wet the leaves first as they tend to prefer moist damp areas over dry areas. I took her advice and thought they where dead as they didn't move after leaving them in the fridge for a few hours. I sprinkled them slowly over several batches of smaller plants on the back patio and then again over several other plants in the ground. They didn't seem to be too active at first, but eventually ran around the leave for an hour before grouping together on the leaves or in the dirt. It's been about 5 days and I don't have 1500 of them on the plants as I noticed about 100 or so dead around the soil, but I can still find at least 5-6 on each plant and the larger plants seem to have up to 20 of them on it each. I still see a small amount of aphids on a couple, but other than that they are practically non existant. She also said as long as you can keep a few of them on each plant for a week they will probably lay eggs and the larvae will also coninue to feed on any found aphids. Looks like my trigger finger although now very muscular will no longer be needed as I don't see a reason to spray anymore. If I see any in large numbers another $7.00 for 1500 should easily do the job.

Back