• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Which peppers would you like me to cross?

Hello everyone! I am a new pepper grower and I’d like some advice/ideas on what peppers I should be my first crosses for the next garden season. I live in southern Ontario so I have lots of time before I can grow something. All of my peppers listed below are going to be a first grow for me so I would be very inexperienced.

I am not picky about what I want in some of theses varieties at this stage but would like to make interesting looking peppers to call my own!

Thanks in advance!
LIST

-Fish pepper
-Lilac Bell
-Cherrybomb
-Habanada
-Yellow habanero
-Orange habanero
-Reaper X JPGS
-Beast
-WHP 054
-Star scream
-Sugar rush peach
-WHP 048
-BOC X orange primo X Purple naga viper

How would a Cross between a Fish Pepper & an Orange Jalapeño work out?
top hat fish GIF by Goldfish

Hello & welcome to THP :welcome:
How would a Cross between a Fish Pepper & an Orange Jalapeño work out?

I would be hoping for a more colorful & spicy Jalapeño :fireball:
Was definitely wondering if I can do a cross between the lilac bell and the fish pepper to create a purple bell pepper with variegation. I’m not tolerant to the superhots yet and a sweet pepper like that has some mainstream appeal to it!

Hello everyone! I am a new pepper grower and I’d like some advice/ideas on what peppers I should be my first crosses for the next garden season. I live in southern Ontario so I have lots of time before I can grow something. All of my peppers listed below are going to be a first grow for me so I would be very inexperienced.

I am not picky about what I want in some of theses varieties at this stage but would like to make interesting looking peppers to call my own!

Thanks in advance!
LIST

-Fish pepper
-Lilac Bell
-Cherrybomb
-Habanada
-Yellow habanero
-Orange habanero
-Reaper X JPGS
-Beast
-WHP 054
-Star scream
-Sugar rush peach
-WHP 048
-BOC X orange primo X Purple naga viper

I hate to ........
your-parade.jpg

But if you make new crosses with peppers that are unstable crosses you haven't a clue what you'll get from the seeds from your crossed pepper.

The WHP strains are off pheno or accidental crosses. They are mostly all going to be unstable strains.

BOC X orange primo X Purple naga viper - Since these will be F2 seeds, expect some variations in your grow as they will be unstable.

what-the-fuck-is-that-smiles.gif

Of course you may get lucky!!

20081020-misshapenChilePepper.jpg

Last edited:
If it's your first season growing(?) and first season crossing then I'd keep things simple.

For any crossing attempts stick to intraspecific crosses, that is like to like, so C.Annuum x C.Annuum or C.Chinense x C.Chinense for example.

Trying interspecific, that is crossing different species, so things like C.Annuum x C.Chinense has lower odds of success and could be very frustrating for you as you are starting out. Even if you get a cross like this to set fruit and get F1 seeds you can quickly have your project fail when F1 seeds end up non-viable or the F1 plant grows but is sterile.

As @The_NorthEast_ChileMan also mentions, if you start introducing very unstable parents into the mix then you are also rolling more dice.

So, just IMO from your list:
- Try any two of Fish, Lilac Bell, Cherry Bomb. I don't personally know how stable the last two are. Easy enough to pick up C.Annuum seeds for some others.
- Avoid crossing in that list with Sugar Rush Peach as that's C.Baccatum and I don't think you have any others.
- If you go with crossing two of the C.Chinense from your list (other than the two straight habaneros) then be prepared for anything as they mainly look to be unstable crosses themselves

Ultimately, you can try to cross anything, I've tried weird combinations too but you have to be prepared to fail, start-over or get frustrated :-)

When starting out, and from your list, I'd get an easy C.Annuum x C.Annuum in the bank to get you going ;-)

If it's your first season growing(?) and first season crossing then I'd keep things simple.

For any crossing attempts stick to intraspecific crosses, that is like to like, so C.Annuum x C.Annuum or C.Chinense x C.Chinense for example.

Trying interspecific, that is crossing different species, so things like C.Annuum x C.Chinense has lower odds of success and could be very frustrating for you as you are starting out. Even if you get a cross like this to set fruit and get F1 seeds you can quickly have your project fail when F1 seeds end up non-viable or the F1 plant grows but is sterile.

As @The_NorthEast_ChileMan also mentions, if you start introducing very unstable parents into the mix then you are also rolling more dice.

So, just IMO from your list:
- Try any two of Fish, Lilac Bell, Cherry Bomb. I don't personally know how stable the last two are. Easy enough to pick up C.Annuum seeds for some others.
- Avoid crossing in that list with Sugar Rush Peach as that's C.Baccatum and I don't think you have any others.
- If you go with crossing two of the C.Chinense from your list (other than the two straight habaneros) then be prepared for anything as they mainly look to be unstable crosses themselves

Ultimately, you can try to cross anything, I've tried weird combinations too but you have to be prepared to fail, start-over or get frustrated :-)

When starting out, and from your list, I'd get an easy C.Annuum x C.Annuum in the bank to get you going ;-)

This is why I'm here to learn from those who understand, you must use the Latin name for me to understand who your talking about.
Agaricus Bisporus Just another white mushroom? Hardly.

Last edited:
The Habanada X 7 Pot-Primo/Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion (I fixed it for you) could be interesting if you select progeny that take advantage of the super hot genetics of the Primo genes and the interrupted enzymatic pathways of the Habanada to have an unique aromatic profile, potentially rich in capsiate but having very low levels of capsainoids.

But then you likely cannot screen for such material in F1, rather it should be in a % of your F2.

Just let them cross naturally. It will be hot!

Paris Hilton Thats Hot GIF
Natural cross pollination is how many of the old pioneers in the hobby made crosses. They simply placed a bunch of different plants together in the same area and then boom... C. chinense x C. baccatum Wartryx was born and many others. Of course, many C. chinense hybrids you can purchase and simply grow out 10-20 seeds from the pack and get a lot of different results as many of the brand new offerings aren't stable either. You can check that out simply by looking at different vendors pictures of the same hybrid.
c3p0t.jpg

Back