• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which would you pick?

I offered okra seeds to someone on another garden forum and that was person is nice enough to offer me my choice of free seeds from this list

1. Serrano Tampequino
2. Thai yellow
3. Pasilla Bajio
4. Jalapeno
5. Cayenne Long Thin

The reason I ask is because this last spring was my first gardening experiance and I dont know anything about peppers ceptin what I've read here. I had success with banana peppers but failed with jalapeno and bell peppers. I suspect my failure was to small a container. I grew the banana peppers in the dirt in rows. I am going to try the same with all peppers this year. Which would you pick

Oh, btw, if any of yall would like free okra seeds let me know, I know they aint peppers but I have tons of seeds from this years okra.

3. Pasilla Bajio

The others are fairly easy to obtain. When fresh, this pepper is called 'Chilaca' it is also known as 'Chile Negro' or Mexican Negro. These 8 to 10 inch long cylindrical peppers are thin walled and start off dark green before ripening to dark brown (75-80 days). They have less than 250 Scoville units and are mainly used dried for their rich, smoky flavoring in sauces.

Yup, ya need those for a Mole Sauce, but...I get those dried at the store for cheap so I'd pick Thai Yellow as I can't get those here. :D

Pepper choices

I have grown the Pasilla Bajio and I enjoyed drying them. The flavor is something you need stashed in your pantry for cooking. If your local store does not carry, and I can't imagine that "Houstonish" doesn't, then you should grow them. Otherwise I agree with FTB on the Thai yellow.

Mike

I love 'em too, but I can buy gypsy peppers, o-habs, jalas, serannos, pasilla, green thai's etc. for cheep at WinCo..they get 'em direct from Mexico all year long. ;)

Plus they have bulk dried chiles...like $3/lb. for Arbol...even cheeper for dried Asian chiles.

Yellow Thai, I can't however.

Thank All of Yall for your answers. I think I am going to ask her for the Pasilla Bajio and try to purchase the rest list from her.

Being in Hoston we have access to a spice store that sells the powder from Pasilla Bajio for usually $1.50 to $2.00 lb, so when it comes to certain peppers if I can buy the powder for that cheap, I will take the space to grow something I cannot buy.

rds040800 said:
Being in Hoston we have access to a spice store that sells the powder from Pasilla Bajio for usually $1.50 to $2.00 lb, so when it comes to certain peppers if I can buy the powder for that cheap, I will take the space to grow something I cannot buy.

I see you are in Highlands. I grew up on the other side of the river in Channelview. I know that river like the back of my hand. Nice to meet you.

none on the list really make a show on my grow list any more but from past years growing i'd pick Pasilla the best out of the lot imo

1. Serranos are excellent peppers but I've never tried the Tampequino
2. I love thai peppers but never tried the yellow
3. Another good pepper but mild, I prefer the regular chilaca/pasillas to the bajio
4. Jals are a must have for me, but I prefer to know what variety I'm growing. There's just too many unreliable varieties
5. I'm personally not a big cayenne fan and haven't tried the long thin

I'd go with serrano (or jalapeno) since they are very good and very versatile. Even if you can buy them locally, they're probably not ripe red and they're probably low heat varieties

POTAWIE said:

I'd go with serrano (or jalapeno) since they are very good and very versatile. Even if you can buy them locally, they're probably not ripe red and they're probably low heat varieties

This year I was much more patient and waited for all of my peppers to ripen. Ripe red jalapenos and serranos make unbelievable salsa and sauces.

Mjdtexan said:
I see you are in Highlands. I grew up on the other side of the river in Channelview. I know that river like the back of my hand. Nice to meet you.

Nice to meet ya too. INterestingly enough, I grew up in North Shore.

Mjdtexan said:
Ah, good ole North Shore. I have property over there in Cloverleaf. Gonna unload it soon.

I do my best to stay out of Cloverleaf, but I have some friends that still live there.

rds040800 said:
I do my best to stay out of Cloverleaf, but I have some friends that still live there.

Thats why I am going to unload the property. The police kicked the door in last month to arrest the tennants. It the 3rd time with 3 different tennants.

Back