While we are discussing plastic squeeze bottles

I know this had been discussed (and the topic probably started by me) over a year ago, but I can't find it.

This past weekend at the NYC Hot Sauce Expo, I decided to take notice on how many of the vendors were sampling their sauce to customers. Virtually 'everyone' was doing it out of a plastic squeeze bottle of some shape, size and variety.

If I recall/remember correctly, this was frowned upon for reasons I don't remember.

I have been sampling out of actual official bottles which I opened and put a stopper/slower over the mouth with. At the end of the show, I put the cap back on and it goes back in my fridge till next time...A bottle will usually last about 2-3 weeks depending on how many events I had lined up.

I would prefer to invest in some nice small heavy duty BPA free plastic squeeze bottles to sample from. From what I observed, it is cleaner and definitely quicker/easier to dispense samples from.

Am I missing something? DO I stay with the glass bottle to sample from or is it OK to go into the plastic squeeze? Looking from a health/legal/FDA approval sense, moreso than personal opinion...

Gratzi!

Crazy Gringa said:
We use plastic bottles for  farmers markets and demos but then again we don't do 6 markets a week. As far as labels go mine go through the dishwasher and I have no problem with them. I don't fill the bottles all the way full either. Most of the time we go through what's in the bottles by time the market is over so I don't have to worry about what to do with the left over sauce. Like Scott said it's all personal preference and what works best for you. 
My labels wash off. I could pay extra for the dishwasher friendly labels that stick to plastic, but I already pay more for the foil label. So yeah - for me it'd be a huge PITA.
;)

salsalady said:
Plastic bottles for a product like catsup or mustard for sale are hard to find.  I've looked for my cold packed chipotle mustard. 

Regular squeeze bottles can be covered with plastic wrap or caps between shows.  It's possible, but up the the vendor what they want to do.  gonna look for commercial squeeze bottle with a flip cap---

salsalady said:
The maker doesn't post ingredients on their website.  Looks like mayo mixed with other stuff which could be cold packed into plastic bottles. 
I just posted that pic thinking I was helping you with a good plastic bottle. Sorry yall Ill stay out of the rock star room.

sicman said:
I just posted that pic thinking I was helping you with a good plastic bottle. Sorry yall Ill stay out of the rock star room.

papa sic she was just noting that because its mayo it's likely not hot packed, which was kinda the basis of the thread.  and like it or not yer one of the 'rock stars' around here, so don't letcha shorts get twisted eh?  :)    

what ^^^ said, Siccy!  It's all good and thanks for posting.  We kinda had 2 different conversations going, one about squeeze bottles at markets/festivals and the other about packing product in bottles and how it usually can't be hot packed.

Oh i was just poking.   But also ,SL said something about her ketchup,Intensity academy aslso has a chi ketchup in them same bottles. Is that hot packed?

SmokenFire said:

papa sic she was just noting that because its mayo it's likely not hot packed, which was kinda the basis of the thread.  and like it or not yer one of the 'rock stars' around here, so don't letcha shorts get twisted eh?   :)    
More like a roadie,lol

I'm guessing "not" hot packed on the ketchup...but honestly don't know.  If I could see the ingredients, I might be able to hazard a guess, but it's kind of a side note for this discussion.  If a person were seriously looking to use plastic, they'd need to talk to Intensity Academy's co-packer, which I'm pretty sure is Endorphin Farms. 

And you're definitely not a roadie!  Crazy head-banging drummer.......:rolleyes: .... :lol:

sicman said:
These are 12 ounce bottles

image2-300x300.jpg

this stuff is insane by the way

sicman said:
These are 12 ounce bottles

image2-300x300.jpg

this stuff is insane by the way
Yes I grabbed a bottle as you suggested and it was good.

Necro.  I have to use a squeeze bottle for my bbq sauce because pouring out of a 16oz stout bottle it starts to drip down the side, and the sugar makes a mess after a while.  I use a 16oz squeeze bottle with a partially trimmed label.

I just use the 5oz woozy bottles for sampling.  Easy, no cleanup, and I can give the bottle away at work the next day.  I don't re-use bottles used for sampling day to day.   It's about $1.03 COG so I don't mind using a fresh sample each day.  The bottle usually lasts all day at each station (I run 2 stations) at car shows, or 4 hours at festivals.  I haven't done any state fairs yet, but I have 18 days of state fairs lined up for fall of 2015.

Sam & Oliver said:
I haven't done any state fairs yet, but I have 18 days of state fairs lined up for fall of 2015.

I am in the middle of a county fair now - it's brutal. I hope you have a LOT of sauce and at least 1 employee to work with you. 
Most have rules about staffing your booth 100% of the time. So that means if you go to get food, beer, stretch, take a crap, etc, you have to have someone covering your booth. 

Back