• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding White Hab crossed with a T. Scorpion

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
If you cross a white habanero with a T. Scorpion do you think it would be possible to get a white pepper with a red/orange/yellow tail on it?

I am trying to figure out which hybrid I want try and develop. To me, that would be cool to have a pepper that is white with a colorful "tail"

Interesting thoughts you got there AJ.
Ive never seen a fully ripe two tone coloured pod.
Is it possible?
A white scorpion sounds pretty cool though.

I think a white scorpion or white/multi-colored hab would be pretty.

I am going to make this my hybridization project over the next couple of years now that I have my first isolation chamber built.

I am assuming that you don't have to isolate the plants until they start to flower. Right?

I think it may take numerous time to get the charectoristics you are chasing..there will be one or two very strong charectoristics which may initially holdthrough and dominate you may get lucky you may not. for examample the pods will get smaller but maintain scorpion tail but ripen red. or pods might get small lose tail and stay red.
It's gonna be guess work until you pullit off and then it could be variable between each flower cross pollinated. Its real guess work at this stage but exciting none the less, IMHO it willbe hard topullof a fully ripe multi coloured pod but it may certainly have shades you are chasing in the ripening process.

I'm no genetisist mind you, I've crossed o habs with thai prik kee nu its small rounded fleshy and hot like chinensis.
Heres some pics of the fruit from last season
DSCN2619.jpg

interestingly the same plant is producing rounder more juicer pods they are very hot not naga hot but very hot.

Red is a dominant color so I believe it would take a lot of work and you'd need dozens of plants to test for several generations. and you won't get a tail with a different color.

you just never know what you'll get with hybrids (that's generally what keeps people away...) but it sounds so exciting. I'm certainly going to try a few crosses this year, but you all must have noticed how impatient i am so this is going to be *torture* for me. but weird things can certainly show up from f1 on...
i think i've seen a pepper that matures to two colors (either that or it ripens from the bottom of the pod up, i can't remember cuz i only saw it in passing...) so maybe you should try crossing that with the scorpion... of course it would help if i remembered any other details about said pepper, particularly species...

The only time I've seen a multi colored pepper is with the fish pepper but I believe that one is natural and not a hybrid. I think genetic engenering would be in order to product the results you are looking for.

I'm working on a pepper at the moment named the 'Atomic Penis' excellent hey ?? My 11 yr old b inlaw thought of it lol. Ill let you all know how it goes hopefully by winter aus I will have seeds for every one.

Scorp

Thats one heck of a hybrid.

AlabamaJack said:
If you cross a white habanero with a T. Scorpion do you think it would be possible to get a white pepper with a red/orange/yellow tail on it?

I am trying to figure out which hybrid I want try and develop. To me, that would be cool to have a pepper that is white with a colorful "tail"

Ah, a Rainbowberry chilli, how nice would that look. The nearest I've seen to a pepper like that was Billyboys naga ripening.

Those are gorgeous POTAWIE. Do you spray them with water before taking pics to make them look shiny or is that the natural appearance of the pepper.

No I didn't spray them, just a lot of reflection and bad focus. These pods often aren't very spectacular looking until they begin to ripen and go through their color changes, and not all have stingers.

Wow Potawie, how good do they look :shocked: When I grew Nagas they went through the colour stages but the colours were kind of merged more and not as vivid at all.

rainbowberry said:
Wow Potawie, how good do they look :shocked: When I grew Nagas they went through the colour stages but the colours were kind of merged more and not as vivid at all.
Those aren't Nagas, they're Scorpions. ;)

I never said they were Nagas, they don't even look like Nagas. I said "When I grew Nagas", I was just talking about the colour change.

Back