• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

White vs Pink placenta (Butch T)

Hi All,

I just got done de-seeding a bunch of T.S. Butch T to give seeds away and maybe some trades. All of the peppers were ripe. I found that some had a very pink placenta and others were white or beige. Does either color make a difference as far as seed viability? I don't want to give away or trade seeds that don't germinate. Thanks.

Regards,
Edward

picture?

Here ya go:

6343801421_60179bef06_b.jpg

6343800685_5d583ded03_b.jpg

I'm sorry about the picture quality. I think it shows the diffrence in color. If not, I'll take some better pictures later. Thanks.

Regards,
Edward

I usually find hotter peppers to have brighter placenta. don't think there's something to do with the viability.

Top placenta = white
Middle placenta = beige
Bottom placenta = pink

They are the same samples in each picture. I de-seeded about 20 pods and the colors were mixed through out.

I noticed with some brown 7's I was de-seeding that the fresh ones were white and a few that were older and a bit over ripe had placenta that turned more red or pink. Had some of yours been on the plant ripe longer than others that had just turned? Had you picked some, waited a few day then picked some more? If the seeds look healthy they should be fine.

The peak of the seed viability occurs when the pepper 1st completely
ripens, the longer the pepper stays in the ripened stage the less viable they become, it's also not recommened to use seeds from partially or unripened pods...

Greg

I noticed with some brown 7's I was de-seeding that the fresh ones were white and a few that were older and a bit over ripe had placenta that turned more red or pink. Had some of yours been on the plant ripe longer than others that had just turned? Had you picked some, waited a few day then picked some more? If the seeds look healthy they should be fine.
I bought the pods from Judy. There were some that looked a little more rip than others. The ones I worked with today were all red, red, red.

The peak of the seed viability occurs when the pepper 1st completely
ripens, the longer the pepper stays in the ripened stage the less viable they become, it's also not recommened to use seeds from partially or unripened pods...

Greg

The pods in question had no green at all. They seemed ripe to my untrained eye. For T.S. Butch T red, red pod = ripe pod, correct?

Yup. I sent out about 1800 T.S. seeds to a member here and they were harvested from pods with varying placenta color.
No worries at all with germination. :)

The pods in question had no green at all. They seemed ripe to my untrained eye. For T.S. Butch T red, red pod = ripe pod, correct?

Correct,

Although by deseeding an "over-ripe" red pod for seed stock would decrease the viability for seed germination, I strip the pods at peak ripeness...

Greg

Great! Thanks to everybody who responded. I'm going to keep about 30 for myself and give the rest away. I definitely don't need more than that.

Back