• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

WHO RELOADS THER OWN AMMO AND/OR IS A CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR AND/OR GUN NUT LIKE ME??

Jeff H said:
No Varget, but I have 8 lbs of IMR 4895 that I bought for the Garand that will work well. Also the RL15 I use for 223 should work equally as well. Those WW2 cartridges used faster powders than a modern cartridge that size would use.

Since I've brought up the Garnad a couple times in this thread, how about a pic???

20140112_105717.jpg

Oh, and because I know you like Mosins, here is a beat up- needs a new barrel 'cause the idiot previous owner didn't know anything about corrosive ammo but is still fun to shoot- M44. What a thumper.
20140112_105937.jpg
nice and nice!!

yeah the mil crap is bad that way, sad shame too that stock and metal look great nice mosin

im going to have to post my babies but I have trouble posting pics on here

I have a Russian m44 scout rifle in a black nose-capped Rienhart Fajen in a English walnut stock I named it "Ivan Auhautnik"  Ivan the Hunter in Russian

its named in honor of my late shooting buddy Phillip "Ivan" Cassler who's reloading stuff I got after he passed away in 2005

thanks your friend Joe

used to own

>6.5 italian carcano carbine
>remington mfg 1903 springfield
>m1894 swedish mauser in 6.5 x55
>model 10 S&W 38 spl revolver
>colt official police 38 spl revolver
>german made Ortgies 32 acp auto pistol (made in a bicycle factory?)
>ruger mini 14 ibn 223 rem(Man i miss this one needed money many years back)
>Egyptian helwan 9mm aoto (copy of a Barretta m915)

i miss most of them
i do own an awesome 22 target pistol my wife loves it
its a S&W MODEL 41

sorry just a few random thoughts to keep the ball rolling

thanks your friend Joe

oh yeah also used to have a wonderful

m38 swedish mauser carbine in 6.5x55 but it got destroyed with some bad reloads i got from someone else (stretched chamber loads were over max cup)too hot

If you miss them, you need to buy them back. Some like the 1903 aren't getting say easier to find.

By the way, if a Garand is on your list, don't wait too long. The CMP won't have them forever. I think they are still about $650.

Jeff H said:
If you miss them, you need to buy them back. Some like the 1903 aren't getting say easier to find.

By the way, if a Garand is on your list, don't wait too long. The CMP won't have them forever. I think they are still about $650.
wish i could but most where sold many years back and a few just about 7 years ago right before i got married, needed money(then again always do)

i have a godfather that is a superb Garand builder and if i cant get one he would build me one, but money just wont permit either anymore, its why im holding tight to the ones i have now LOL ;)

thanks your friend Joe

I used to reload Joe but haven't in years.
I reloaded .35 Remington and .223 Remington for the Thompson Super 14 Contender I had as well as .22-250 Remington for the Ruger M-77V varmint rifle that I still have.
I sold the Contender and barrels years ago as well as my Weatherby Vanguard .30-06.
All I have now is my S&W 4506 and the Ruger .22-250 and I haven't shot either in years.
I used to shoot close to 1/4" groups of five rounds at 100 yds with the .223 Remington Contender as it was accurate.
The .22-250 I used to take out ground squirrels at 400 yds with no problem unless the wind was blowing.
Sierra bullets were always my favorite even though I used Hornady, Speer and a couple of others on occasion.
I still have my RCBS Rock Crusher reloading press as well as all the other equipment but it's collecting dust in the garage.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I used to reload Joe but haven't in years.
I reloaded .35 Remington and .223 Remington for the Thompson Super 14 Contender I had as well as .22-250 Remington for the Ruger M-77V varmint rifle that I still have.
I sold the Contender and barrels years ago as well as my Weatherby Vanguard .30-06.
All I have now is my S&W 4506 and the Ruger .22-250 and I haven't shot either in years.
I used to shoot close to 1/4" groups of five rounds at 100 yds with the .223 Remington Contender as it was accurate.
The .22-250 I used to take out ground squirrels at 400 yds with no problem unless the wind was blowing.
Sierra bullets were always my favorite even though I used Hornady, Speer and a couple of others on occasion.
I still have my RCBS Rock Crusher reloading press as well as all the other equipment but it's collecting dust in the garage.
had a friend had a pump action 35 rem that shot great, he loved that caliber very much

i had two 223 rifle a savage model 340 and a Ruger mini 14 great caliber but not my fav nor is the 22-250 rem although if i had to chose between the two i chose the 22-250( the Ruger m77 is one of my Fav bolt guns and is a quality copy of the original German 98 Mauser
i like 243 win for a small bore fast caliber just like the 3006 i grew up with the 243 and it was my first high powered rifle,it was a German 98 Mauser action with a Douglas barrel installed in it, it was a 243 win

it has quite a bit more punch than the 223 and 22-250
6mm bullets on the whole have a better ballistic coefficient than 22 cal bullets do

i am perplexed that our military didnt pick up the 243 as a chambering it is truly awesome, i read an article by a guy name Chuck Hawks and in it he mentioned that the US Navy came close to adopting it for i beleave for special forces usage(navy seals)

it would have made sense for them to adopt it because of it accuracy and killing power at long distances and it seems the US Navy has had a long standing love of the 6mm caliber(6mm Lee Navy circa 1898) also the 243 is based on the 308 win (aka 7.62mmx51mm NATO)  and there would be very little alteration need to adapt weaponry to it (such as the M14 or AR10) D.S.A. (Panther Arms) has a commercial Fal(STG 58) chambered for it called "Predator" and would love to own on but alas there about $3700 :tear:

on another note i have used the same brands of bullets and sierra and hornaday are my favs and i too have a an RCBS press

thanks your friend Joe

this is more of a random thought right now and a little crazy to even CONTEMPATE given the financial situation at this time but im looking for some opinions if possible
OK HERE GOES!!
Does anyone have any experiences with the new 375 RUGER it has peaked my interest as im looking to get a 375 cal rifle one day

i wanna get one of these and am weighing my options,also there in the order of the one i want to the one i want the least

375 RUGER

375 WEATHERBY MAG

375 HOLLAND AND HOLLAND MAG

the Ruger cartridge turns out to be in terms of ballistics better and more powerful than the H&H and the bigger plus rifles in the Ruger 375 cal are just about the same in price as the H&H cal
also its about the same in terms of ballistic as the 375 Weatherby Mag but even though there well made Weatherbys are expensive rifle and out of my price range

the RUGER M77 AFRICAN is the one i have my eyes on

i know it seems a bit nuts because there all more powerful than what is needed to down anything around where i hunt but its always nice to have that extra insurance just in case

of course i would be reloading for the one i chose because just like most factory stuff its expensive and you can always do better with the stuff you produce yourself

ANY INPUT WILL BE HELPFULL

thanks your friend Joe

Years ago I had a Weatherby Vanguard custom built in 300 WSM by Weatherby for Elk hunting. It was fairly affordable being built on the Vanguard action. What was cool is that you went to their website and chose your caliber, stock (with length of pull), barrel, trigger, type of bolt, fluting etc.).  I stepped it up and added the Sub MOA barrel. Those barrels are tested to hit within one MOA or better. All I know is this thing is a tack driver. You might want to see if Weatherby is still building them like that.

SL3 said:
Years ago I had a Weatherby Vanguard custom built in 300 WSM by Weatherby for Elk hunting. It was fairly affordable being built on the Vanguard action. What was cool is that you went to their website and chose your caliber, stock (with length of pull), barrel, trigger, type of bolt, fluting etc.).  I stepped it up and added the Sub MOA barrel. Those barrels are tested to hit within one MOA or better. All I know is this thing is a tack driver. You might want to see if Weatherby is still building them like that.
thanks

i have no experience with the WSM calibers but know being a cartridge collector and reloader as well a specification buff that they have earned a good rep in the few short years they have been around, most of the "SM's"are based around the British 404 Jeffery African big game case and its what gives them there large powder capacity in a 2.8 inch case and no belt like the ones that where based of the 375 H&H to cut down on powder

Weatherby still makes rifles to order but there far more expensive than this working man can afford they can be as much as 3 times plus more expensive than the Ruger and the 375 Ruger has a rep for 1 to 2 MOA depending on bullet weight which is passable for hunting application out to between 300 to 500 yard so you might say i have weighed my option

knowledge us a form of power and it can save you alot money too LOL

thanks your friend joe

does anyone own and or reload for an OBSOLETE WAR RIFLE??

they have always been my top favorite point of interest i love those pieces of history

I reload for 3 Mosin Nagants (7.62x54r)
and was reloading for a Spanish FR8 (308 Win)
*****************************************************************************************************************************
would love to someday own the following and of course i would reload for them

CETME (308 Win)

LEE ENFIELD #5 JUNGLE CARBINE (303 British))

M95 HUNGARIAN MANNLICHER CARBINE (8X56R) (ammo is getting very scarce and expensive also hard to reload for has an odd larger 8mm bullet diameter .329? not .323 like standard 8mm)
(This would be mostly for novelty reasons im part Hungarian by decent) would rank dead last for ownership but i have alsways loved the look of them

k31 SWISS SCHMIDT RUBEN straight pull carbine (7.5x55 Swiss)

1903 SPRINGFIELD (3006 SPRG)

FRENCH LABEL CARBINE (8X50 R) (ownership reasons are about the SAME AS M95 Hungarian in many ways EXCEPTBULLET DIAMETER is standard .323)

FRENCH MAS 36 CARBINE (7.5x54)

SPANISH FR8 CARBINE (308 WIN) always thought theses where so cool looking!!

M 48 YUGOSLAV MAUSER (8X57 MAUSER)

M 66 YUGOSLAV SKS (7.62x39)

RUSSIAN MAKOROV (9x18 MAK OR 380 ACP)

M1911 A1 OR A2 (Govt model) 45 acp

SPANISH "DESTROYER CARBINE" (9X21 LARGO)

THERE ARE A FEW MORE BUT WELL ALL I CAN DO RIGHT NOW IS DREAM COME DREAM WITH YOU IF YOU WANT TO lol

THANKS YOUR FRIEND Joe

SuperHot said:
Hey Joe, you must belong to the local militia. 
NO BUT I PROLLY SHOULD lol

Been thinking about reloading, factory ammo though coming down in price recently is just too damn high priced. Current guns are XDM .45 3.8" and Ruger SR556C. Savage semi auto .22lr and  Ruger .22lr sa. Several shotguns my favorite a 1958 Browning Light Twelve. Owned and sold Colt .357, Ruger .357 and Weatherby 300 Mag.

Right now I just can't justify the initial expense of the reloading equipment. May start checking out pawn shops to see what I can find.

Interesting thread Joe, thanks for starting it.

patrick said:
Been thinking about reloading, factory ammo though coming down in price recently is just too damn high priced. Current guns are XDM .45 3.8" and Ruger SR556C. Savage semi auto .22lr and  Ruger .22lr sa. Several shotguns my favorite a 1958 Browning Light Twelve. Owned and sold Colt .357, Ruger .357 and Weatherby 300 Mag.

Right now I just can't justify the initial expense of the reloading equipment. May start checking out pawn shops to see what I can find.

Interesting thread Joe, thanks for starting it.
had some good stuff there, the Weatherby and the Ruger 357 got my attention the most

i like Weatherbys and would love to own 3

240 Weatherby Mag

375 Weatherby Mag

460 Weatherby Mag (just for giggles and kick)

also your welcome im glad you like this thread, i wanted to start this thread because i notice there was not one on here that i knew of and i knew there are many on here that are into the stuff a for mentioned

thanks your friend Joe

I used to love goin "plinkin" as my dad used to call it. We would go out in the woods and shoot at cans, bottles, stuffed animals, milk jugs filled with water and food coloring. Mostly we used 22 riffles, but dad had a Colt 45 long barreled pistol that was brought some times. Fun.

Rymerpt said:
I used to love goin "plinkin" as my dad used to call it. We would go out in the woods and shoot at cans, bottles, stuffed animals, milk jugs filled with water and food coloring. Mostly we used 22 riffles, but dad had a Colt 45 long barreled pistol that was brought some times. Fun.
i still do that stuff i love it

thanks your friend Joe

I only reload .30-06 (Columbian mauser, made by FN). I also do own a 308 (G3) but I only use surplus DAG/MEN berdan ammo for it. The same goes for my HK P8 (9x19) for which I also use berdan primed DAG surplus.

For the .30-06 I use hornady AMAX 155 grain in combination with Vithavuori N140 (sellier & bellot brass and primer)

Haha, yes. US components are not always at hand here. We strongly go for brands like Vithavuori (finland) and Vectan (france) for powder. If you want to win matches here; you buy lapua bullets. For brass we generally use Prvi Partizan (Serbia) or Sellier & Bellot (Czech Republic). You can buy lapua brass which is indeed better, but I think you US folks even know the prices for that stuff.

But the effect stays the same; pull the trigger, the thing says boom, the brass also gets hot.

I do prefer US ballpowder over EU Vithavuori stick types, atleast those run smoothly through your powder mill. Unfortunately they are quit hard to come by.

(Please excuse typos.. I'm on my smartphone of which the auto-correct is not speaking English.. at all)

I also love the Garands.. We had some over here which came from the Dutch military (surplus), but you couldn't buy those. The ammo went for 10 gulden cents (that's approx $0.04 at the time) during the late 90s. But you couldn't buy them, only lend them as a club. Afterwards they were all called back and destroyed in the furnaces and recycled into beer cans and shovels. I own a sabre defense XR41 (HK41 clone in 7.62x51 with a cold forged heavy barrel, MSG90 trigger, special buffer.. 0.8MOA), an HK P8 (military USP in 9x19) and a FN K98 in 7.62x63. Roughly translated .308WIN, 9mm Luger and .30-06 springfield if you want to talk about different languages  :onfire:

My heart goes out to all rollerlocking weapons (G3, CETME, MP5, HK33, SIG STG57 etc) and Swiss rifles (55x series, Schmidt-Rubin straightpulls). To bad that the originals are so hard to come by in the US. Allthough I love the 1903 etc, it simply can't beat a Hämmerli Match K31.

And I'm probably going to get shot for saying it on a US forum, but I have a severe case of plastic/alloy black rifle allergy  :shh: nothing beats steel and wood.

Back