Who works in the HEAT???

So this is my first summer out working in the summer heat on the farm rather than my airconditioned broker office.... And man is it hot----the heat wears me down fast--it saps me of energy and sends me home lobster red..And I grew up in the Miami heat which is alot hotter than st augie heat--mainly cuz u can cut the humidity with a knife down there--still growing up I never felt hot....in two a days football practice in full pads at columbus high in August---never when catching a double header in the same summer heat that gives the dolphins an edge in early season Nfl games down in Miami!!! but i was young then and the years and the beers have flown by--and dag is it hot--my hours are long---10 hrs out in the heat no shade---its sooooo hot --im drinkn lotsa liquids and no alcohol after work--im eating chick food salads and fruits and not logging down the cheeseburgers, ribeyes and porkchops that make me smile...i wear a big billabong hat that my buddy says makes me look like a vietnameese pig..lotsa sun screen...but its soooo hot---my son in law hada be taken to the hospital yesterday for heat stroke....and hes a thrid generation farmer---so hats off to all of those who work out in the heat---anybody have any suggestions to make it more tolerable???????????

I never gave a second thought to the guys workn outside---the cops--fpl---landscapers,,,ect it really is a different type of work---a type one has to get used to-----sorta like aacclamating a plant grown in the greenhouse to full sun..Hats off to u cuz i kno broward is just as hot as dade n monroe!

I am a mason, while I don't live in FL, we routinely get lots of 90F days here and the humidity sucks.  Then again, so do the cold Winters and rainy Springs.  I like the weather in PA, just not working in it.  Except Fall, I love Fall.

laying pipe (electrical conduit) ina ditch in moon dust in 100F heat, doing a wire pull in similar conditions. Doing electrical rough ins when the ambient temp is 15F...INSIDE the house and youn have to brush snow off the boxes to get the wires in..... yea, we don't do that anymore....

Add in all the construction trades (except tile setters... they're prima donnas and never work below 50F or above 86F) :runsandhidesfromscovieandCJ:

naw, we know what you do with a pipe, siccy.... ;)

I'm an exterminator and we have had 100+ days all week. I have to wear long sleeves and gloves because of the chemicals. Its been aweful, but I've been doing it 13 years. I often use those headband things that you can get at the fair. Soak them in water and they stay cool. Works pretty well.

Mechanical Contractor. Have spent my life working on commercial properties my whole life usually places like Malls, box stores like home depot ,Lowe's my contracts took me from RI to MAINE EASTERN and western Mass, upstate NY, etc worked in the brutal Sun,wind rain,snow and ice some days were Hell on earth others I'd be laughing at those suits stuck indoors. Really miss it!!

It's been brutal this year, and I work inside.

My desk's on the opposite side of the room from the air vent and sits under full-sun-in-the-afternoon windows ...

It's been 78-80 at my desk most days for months, and even that adds up w/ the number of hours I spend here (13-19/day) ...

Doesn't compare to you guys doing it outside ...

I'm late to this thread, but to an extent you never get used to it. Your doing everything you should. I sweat a ton too so I have to keep hydrated. Working in construction, it's just something you have to deal with. The good thing is that when it is beautiful outside l, you don't have to look out a window of an office and wish you were outside.
I've had heat stroke a couple of times too. It's no joke.

Back