food Who's making homemade chili?(food)

I made some nice white chili this past sunday with ground turkey, Cannelini beans, onions, celery, lots of cumin and coriander, oregano and of course I added some fresh Serranos and a Congo Red to the mix. 

It was a somewhat modified version of this recipe at Food Network.

I will definitely make it again, it's really good especially with the Greek yogurt and Cilantro (and Datil Pepper Powder for me)  on top. 

If you have time, use soaked dried beans instead of canned, they're worth the extra trouble. 

1-CAM00524.jpg

My wife made white chili tonight.  Sorry don't know the full recipe.  I put one of my home grown Primos in my bowl.  That sumbitch was smoking hot!  Eyes watering, nose pouring, mouth throbbing.  My stomach still has a slight burn in it 3 hours later.

thegreenman said:
Your great photography always makes the food look better. 

Agreed.  Chris could take a photo of steaming pile of horse manure with flies buzzing around it, and yet it would somehow still look appetizing!

JayT has entered a chili competition a couple times and won "Hottest" chili prize.  I hear he used one of those World's Record Hottest Red Savina habanero chiles in it.

( :lol:  just kidding about the Red Savina thing....but he DID win prizes at least 2 years that I know of!)

I made AlabamaJack's Red recipe and it was Really good!  I'd make a few changes if doing it again, but for a straight off the page recipe, it works!
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/11777-ajs-red-chili/?&hl=+chili%20+powder#entry228650
 note- this recipe makes a LOT! 

I also have a recipe for a vegetarian chili (PLEASE DON'T BAN or STONE ME!!!)  It's posted around here somewhere....will try to find it....

Here's the veggie chili post--- scroll to post #11 and #12 for pics and the full recipe.  This recipe also makes a LARGE batch.  I've made it several times for group events and no one can tell it doesn't have meat.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/15981-veggie-fest-post-entries-here/?hl=quinoa#entry341454

We don't get many cold, Chili weather, nights here in Florida. So when I get to yearn' for a tasty hot bowl of red, I just cut the A/C down a bit more and it's time to start cooking.

Onion and Olive Oil

Package of stew meat

Package if Ground Beef 80/20

Spices (garlic, Chili Powder, Cumin, Oregano) 2 cans or Tomato Sauce, 1 can of diced Tomatoes and 1 can of Tomato Paste.

A Pint

And let that just simmer away till it's time to eat. The eariler you make it te better it is. Now some of my family, to include She who must be obeyed, can't handle any heat so I have to make a False alarm chili to keep my side of the bed :) here's how my bowl is put together though.

First a good sprinkling of Smoked Haba-Peno Powder.

Next is sharp cheader and a dolop of sour cream

Oh baby, that was good eatin and I'm a happy camper :)

This is one of the foods I have missed the most since I've been deployed.

I'll be getting home to KY in late Feb.........which is PERFECT chili weather!

Back