• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Why are jalapenos usually eaten green?

This may be a silly question but one i have yet to be able to find the answer for. Why are Jalapenos neally allyways eaten green (In Aus at least) ? i dont think iv ever seen a ripe one in the shops, or pickled in a jar for that matter.

Damn good question. Maybe it's because red japs usually start getting those bark lines ont he outside, and it scares people off...I dunno.

Good question. Wondered this myself. True Mexican groceries are the only place that I will actually find red/ripe jalapenos. They are about 3x to 4x more in cost per pound. Prior to learning about peppers, I just thought the jalapeno was a green pepper.

It's my understanding that green jalapeno's have a longer shelf life then the reds. That would surely be in the benefit of the supermarket for spoilage reasons. It definitely makes sense to me as when I leave fully ripe peppers out they go soft faster than younger greener peppers.

I think they are much more crisp and hotter green. When they turn red they seem to lose alot of there heat( at leat mine do ) . .:beer:
Jamie

I think it has a little to do with the money making aspect of it. It takes quite a bit of time for one to ripen red. If they pick it green, the plant will continue to produce more pods and have a faster turn around to help keep up with any demand they may face. So essentially they are getting more out of each plant they grow and thus make more money. I may not be right but it might be a reason why.

+1 on money being the main reason, and shelf life does have a direct correlation. However, I also agree the corking is a likely factor, as I wasn't aware of corking when I first started buying jalapenos at the grocery store, and would bypass pods with it. But shelf life aside, it used to be you couldn't find ripe bell peppers in major grocery stores, either, but they now sell them all the time. I would think the main reason that this transition occurred for bells but not for jalapenos is the corking. Of course, this is just my pondering out loud....

This may be a silly question but one i have yet to be able to find the answer for. Why are Jalapenos neally allyways eaten green (In Aus at least) ? i dont think iv ever seen a ripe one in the shops, or pickled in a jar for that matter.

Not a silly question at all judging by the number of others, myself included, that have wondered why jalapenos are not allowed to ripen red, before being sold in the local supermarkets.

There is probably a reason for it all though, and one of the more knowledgable members here will probably chime in with the answer. :cool:

dvg

I think it has a little to do with the money making aspect of it. It takes quite a bit of time for one to ripen red. If they pick it green, the plant will continue to produce more pods and have a faster turn around to help keep up with any demand they may face. So essentially they are getting more out of each plant they grow and thus make more money. I may not be right but it might be a reason why.

I think you are very right. Wait...I KNOW you are right.

In Mexico the reds are for chipotles and the greeens are for fresh eating. It may just be that we carry on that tradition, as in, we expect to see green on our tacos, etc.

Good question. Wondered this myself. True Mexican groceries are the only place that I will actually find red/ripe jalapenos. They are about 3x to 4x more in cost per pound. Prior to learning about peppers, I just thought the jalapeno was a green pepper.

Fiesta!

I have also heard that the walls thin out as they ripen to red. I have observed this with Serrano peppers myself in my garden. If this is so then it would go to the other answers already mentioned such as shorter shelf life and going soft. All of the answers put forth add up to the main one which is marketing/money/profit.

Because they taste good?
Same with New Mexico types, poblanos, and bells for that matter.
Now I'm hungry...

A good green jalapeno is supposed to have a great unique flavor that only a good green jalapeno could have. Unfortunately there are so many imposters out there, especially in the North American markets, that a lot of people have never experienced the goodness of a good green jalapeno! The flavor and heat changes when they ripen red, which gives you a different experience (which some people like better, but not everyone). Corking is considered desirable in Mexico where jalapenos come from, but is considered undesirable to North Americans (and probably other places too, like Australia).

Where chiles are actually part of the cuisine in Mejico, green sauce is as highly valued as red sauce. Same for chiles.
They have a different taste, they are a different color, they have a different texture.

Personally I love salsa and chili verde. The waiters at my local Mexican restaurant always look at me in shock when I ask for salsa verde with my chips.

Back