• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why did my pepper's stem turn purple?

I grew some Thai hot pepper plants which I planted at the same time and were given the same amount of sunlight and nutrients.

Yet a couple of them developed purple stems and have larger leaves. And the flower buds failed to form. So, I'm quite curious - what causes this difference?

Is there too much or lack of something? I like the purple one though, it looks healthier and sturdier.

Normal plant
P1060713_zps35fb4833.jpg

Plant with purple stem
P1060707_zps3684c036.jpg

Comparison - Normal vs Purple
P1060701_zps1d46cd18.jpg

I had some ornamental purples with stems that looked a lot like that. Less vibrant purple, but that could just be the picture.

My inexpert opinion is that you've got some crossbreeding in there that just expressed itself.

do you know what it is exactly?? its very common in many species and just as WULF said in many ornamentals

there are a few Habanero species that are know for this too

thanks your friend Joe

Anthocyanin has to have a genetic foothold to appear. It is common in some types of plants. Seems that it is a measure of protection against sunburn. Also common in certain other smokable plants.

Anthocyanin is a pigment present in all plants that compliments chlorophyll, except it appears purple as it absords all other light. Carotenoids and Xanthophylls are the other pigments (yellow and red), although we generally only see the chlorophyll as it's more predominant.

Back