• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Why do "Mashers" mash?

Been reading the numerous mash threads on this forum with curiosity. I have a simple question to ask: Why mash sauce making vs. non-mash method? The process seems much more involved. Is it taste, storage capabilities/safety, capability of using less vinegar in the finished sauce?

I’m just trying to understand the rationale behind it all in order consider if I want to attempt it this year.

If there is a prior posting addressing this issue, kindly point me in that direction.

For me, it is taste. It has a much smoother taste IMO. Add in the fact that I don't really care for the taste of vinegar and that is another plus. As far as safety, as long as the final Ph is below 4, mash or no mash doesn't really matter. Either way, none of the nasties are going to live in it.

It really is a matter of personal preference though.

The fermentation process brings a distinct flavor and aroma all its own.
Plus the aging that takes place during the process itself, brings a depth or richness of the fresh flavor found in the particular chile used.
While I don't totally dislike using some vinegar(although I prefer lime juice),I try to use only enough to compliment not over power. But most of the time...I choose not to use either one.
On Christmas day I opened a batch of tepin mash after 3 months of aging. The bloody mary mix and a sauce I mixed up has such a fresh taste ...you'd think it was made with fresh pods.
In fact..all this typing has made me thirsty...and the Patriots game just started.
Time for another tall bloody mary and watch New England roll.

Back