• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

why do we call them glogs when they are in the glog forum? JCR's gjournal.

Well, last years grow was a mxed bag - the early harvests were huge, and well beyond my greatest expectations, however a tropical storm wacked my plants for the rest of the season and I barely harvested a couple of pounds, and lost hundreds of plants.

This year, I'm hoping the tropical weather stays away, and have a plan for recouperating the plants if one strikes again.

Last year I started a lot of my sprouts in my garage at whatever the ambient temp was in november. This year I took a step to help control the temps a bit more than last year - I picked up a 5' by 5' greenhouse from big lots. Its made of thin steel, and thinner plastic, but if I get a year out of it, then it was money well spent (~40$). Next year I'll wrap it with some visqueen or something...

OH! also new since last year is a new camera - last year I was using (and still have) a combination of my cellphone, and a canon sx20. This year I'll be using my shiny new (used) Canon rebel t1i. I've moved into the DSLR world, and am loving it. it takes great low light picturs (and regular light, and great when there is too much light... its a great camera hah). However I forgot to take pictures, and will have to add them tomorrow.

Glist:
sweet banana peppers (15)
Pablano (15)
Cumari Pollux (12)
Y fatallii (6)
Bhut Jolokia (seeds saved from last year)
Rooster Spur (tradewinds fruit).
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion (6)
Aribibi Gusano (Catapillar) (6)
7pot Douglah (6)
C. Chocoense (6)
7pot SR F4
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate fatallii
tiger teeth
Amish Apple
african cayenne mix
condor beek
zimbabwe bird
peruvian yellow aji (wild picked)
7pot jonah
cap 597605
wild picked c. praeternissum
Ghabati india Bhut Jolokia
Muko akokosrad
Impact
chocolate Morouga Scorpion strain 1 (Hixs)
7pot yellow x bhut indian carbon
Chocolate Bhut x yellow 7 pot
7pot infinity monster
chocolate barrackapore
black naga
naga morrich
nebru (4)
cgn21500 (2)
mystery c. chinense
charapita
trinidad scorpion butch t
naga jolokia
chocolate habanero
piment de nayda x orange f2
nmsu bhut jolokia
sweet pickle pepper
piment de nayde

jenny hybrid
caspian pink
cherokee purple
beefsteak
burbank slicing
black brandywine
mariglobe
mister stripey
irabge ckaw
red cherry
martinos roma
Spinach
Blue lake bush beans
scarlet nantose carrots
congo watermellon
chinese eggplant
onions (chives?) pepperjoe
yellow summer squash
butternut squash
cukumber
sunflower
romain lettuce

As always the glist is a work in progress. I have some that overwintered outside. But I'm not going to count any of them until after Jan 28th (last frost date).

I've started about 400 seeds, with plans to add 2-3 more 72 cell jiffy greenhouses in the next few days.

Anyone know of any good varieties that I shoudl be growing but am not? (reapers are on the list... have to trade for some i guess).

my seed list is up at jsschrstrcks.com

Nice list although I didn't see bonda ma Jacques , Bahamian goat pepper, Choc hab or scotch Bonnet tfm on there .... they would be some I would look at getting

I Have seeds for those (over 500 varieties at the moment). I'll be sure to find them and put them in the next round of starts :)

May not have Bonda ma Jacques. But I am pretty sure I do.

Killer list you got there, best of luck on your grow and looking forward to some amazing pics...
Thanks Portuge :), pretty excited about it... my helper is going to be taking care of things for me while I'm in school... I'll be back about once a month to check on things, but all in all its in her hands haha.
JCR thats an impressive list once again! Let the games begin!
Thank you thank you :). How have things been for you?
M8 sounds sick , half that gear I've never even heard of :) be keeping an eye out
haha well I'll hopefully have seeds up for trade/sasbe later in the year. hit me up after the harvest start rolling in.
Very nice list. Hope the storms don't cause havoc this year for you.
Me too, 3 feet of rain was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much last year. every thing was yellow and sickly looking. Let it all dry out (took quite some time) and then gave it a heavy dose of fresh rabbit fertilizer, and the ones that were still alive perked right up. but by then about 2/3s had died. Rabbit manure is amazing stuff.

Thanks Portuge :), pretty excited about it... my helper is going to be taking care of things for me while I'm in school... I'll be back about once a month to check on things, but all in all its in her hands haha.
Thank you thank you :). How have things been for you?
haha well I'll hopefully have seeds up for trade/sasbe later in the year. hit me up after the harvest start rolling in.
Me too, 3 feet of rain was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much last year. every thing was yellow and sickly looking. Let it all dry out (took quite some time) and then gave it a heavy dose of fresh rabbit fertilizer, and the ones that were still alive perked right up. but by then about 2/3s had died. Rabbit manure is amazing stuff.

Good man its been busy round here but now ive got time to get everything ready for growing this season. Was actually in NC for a while over the holidays visiting family. it was crazy warm there in dec!

Man, that's a big list right there. Looking forward to seeing them hook and get all big and spicy. Oh and we'll see what we can do from here in Fl to keep the storms pushed out to sea but, uhhh no guarantees ;)

Cheers,
RM

Over the top list, my man! That's ambitious. Hope your
helper is ready to shoulder the load! And good luck with
your new camera! I have an original digital Rebel I got 9
years ago; 6.1 megapixels, but still takes great pictures.
My dad had a Nikon D300S before he passed away, so I
will have to learn how to use that!

Good luck with your grow season, Ken!

welllllll had a setback. I'm pretty bummed.

Went out this morning, and someone had shut and zipped the door to the greenhouse. It was 120f inside, and the soil was hot to the touch. the plastic parts are slightly deformed.

All this by 11am.

I set a fan out there, but I'm not hopefull. I think they are going to need greenhouse at night, and to be moved outdoors first thing in the morning if this is going to work.

We shall see. tomorrows high won't be 85, so maybe lower temps + a fan will solve the problem.

Good man its been busy round here but now ive got time to get everything ready for growing this season. Was actually in NC for a while over the holidays visiting family. it was crazy warm there in dec!
Yeah no doubt :) but not as warm as where the bulk of my garden is here in Florida! I'm hoping for my cars sake that it will be a very mild winter up there... FL cars + salted roads = doom. I'd prefer not to have to drive over a road thats been salted, and then travel back to florida . we shall see.
Man, that's a big list right there. Looking forward to seeing them hook and get all big and spicy. Oh and we'll see what we can do from here in Fl to keep the storms pushed out to sea but, uhhh no guarantees ;)

Cheers,
RM

Thanks man, always better when FL doesn't get hit. Though we (floridians) seem to be more prepared. A cat 4 hits us, and school is open the following day *chuckle* remember 04?
Huge list brotha! Good luck my friend!
Thanks my man! Its longer, I started a bunch more seeds... hopefully not in vain.
Over the top list, my man! That's ambitious. Hope your
helper is ready to shoulder the load! And good luck with
your new camera! I have an original digital Rebel I got 9
years ago; 6.1 megapixels, but still takes great pictures.
My dad had a Nikon D300S before he passed away, so I
will have to learn how to use that!

Good luck with your grow season, Ken!
haha I think my helper zipped the door =x we shall see. all the trees outside are starting to re-grow their leaves, but the almanac says our final frost date will be jan 28th. so I'm kind of afraid just to leave them out, and its a lot to ask to move nearly 500 starts in and out every day haha. I'll have to talk to her and find out what she's up for.

I'm loving my Canon! I drank the canon coolaid a long time ago, and have been a fan of theirs since my first one (that I still have =x).

I've heard good things about Nikon though, what lenses do you have for them?

Sorry to hear about your Dad by the way =( all that went down right around when I was moving I think, and I don't know if I expressed my condolences.

Wow your going to have peppers coming out of every opening. Aahhaaaaa. Excellent list. May the weather genies be good to us this year

Haha Sanarda!

Oh man, sorry to hear about the greenhouse.
If the seeds haven't put out radicles yet they
should be all right, yes? Good vibes your way.

My dad was a photographer for years, and had 4 or 5 pro
setups over the years, including a 4x5 view camera. I still
have his pair of Nikon FE film cameras, and a set of Leicaflex SLs,
both in Haliburton cases and lots of lenses and accessories.
His Last setup was the D300S with VRAF-S Nikkor 24-120 ED,
AF-S Nikkor12-24 DX, and an AF VR-Nikkir 80-400. I have a
learning curve ahead of me!

eeks sorry to hear that. It's still early though so go get 'er done, again.

I don't think they will all be dead, but I bet I put a damper on their germ percentages. Either way, worst comes to worst, I'll be back in Feb, and can start more then :)
Wow your going to have peppers coming out of every opening. Aahhaaaaa. Excellent list. May the weather genies be good to us this year
haha I surely hope so. I had like 5000 peppers last season, and that was with only one large harvest. weather permitting, it should be a fantastic year here in west central florida :) How have you been?
Haha Sanarda!

Oh man, sorry to hear about the greenhouse.
If the seeds haven't put out radicles yet they
should be all right, yes? Good vibes your way.

My dad was a photographer for years, and had 4 or 5 pro
setups over the years, including a 4x5 view camera. I still
have his pair of Nikon FE film cameras, and a set of Leicaflex SLs,
both in Haliburton cases and lots of lenses and accessories.
His Last setup was the D300S with VRAF-S Nikkor 24-120 ED,
AF-S Nikkor12-24 DX, and an AF VR-Nikkir 80-400. I have a
learning curve ahead of me!

Thats a good question Paul - my thinking (or hoping rather) is that some of them are probably ok still. going to pull them out of the green house in the morning... In fact, I think I'll set them out on the table tomorrow and leave them there until the next threat of a frost comes... its 83/61 through the weekend here. pretty good temp range considering its still the second week of January.

I don't think the learning curve will be too bad - its still a dslr afterall, I think where the curve might come in is learning the personality of the different lenses and the sensor. once you've got that down, you're golden.

my 55mm 1.8 prime lens excells at low light... took some fantastic pictures of fire recently, and sunsets on it.

whereas my other lens tends to pincushion things at certain points while zooming. Macro lens is great for making the backgrounds of things fuzzy... or for its intended purpose :P

I like the garden list, there is more to a good grow than just peppers, and you sure have a well rounded variety.

Ha, photo talk...count me in..

Back