• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why do we need to harden off - really?

This hardening off thing is doing my head in a little, to be honest.
On the island of Trinidad, central Africa or Nagaland/Assam - the chillis are going to germinate (In conditions that we strive to provide them with at home using a heating pad, spray bottles etc) and then they sprout. In the wild, they'd immediately be in sunlight and outdoor conditions so why must we harden them off?
If my chillis sprout directly up and they're in the sun directly from when they're "born".. What's wrong with that?
I guess one of the problems I have is my seed tray has tomatoes in it and chillis. So tomatoes need sun straight away but you're all saying chillis shouldn't.
Cheers
Adam

If I start them inside on a heating pad in the sun - do I just need to harden them off with temperature and wind etc? Not light exposure?

Wild tropical peppers aren't really found in "full' sun.They like an area close to the trees, at the edge of a field absorbing the morning sun and getting a break from one or so on.
You won't see them in the middle of a field and you won't see them in the jungle-forest.They also grow better on a hillside than a flat area for better drainage.A breezy area slows the growth but makes them thicker and stronger.

If I start them inside on a heating pad in the sun - do I just need to harden them off with temperature and wind etc? Not light exposure?

Just put them in partial shade for 2 weeks. After that introduce them to full sun. If they start wilting, move them into the shade. If you have a fan, start using it in order to get them used to the wind. If you don't, then use something to block part of the wind. I'm not sure how windy it's where you're from. It's super windy here!

better question would be why do most these peppers originate close to the equator, but don't do so well here in the states when the temp hits 90 ?

better question would be why do most these peppers originate close to the equator, but don't do so well here in the states when the temp hits 90 ?

I've never heard of them not liking 90 degree temps.. 100+ seems to be when some people have problems but then again.. SilverSurfer had 2 months of 100+ temps and his plants produced like crazy. I might be wrong but keeping the roots cool seems to be key when dealing with that kind of heat.

to achieve fruitful and full harvest here in states( im in southeast tennessee so times may vary slightly) you must start germ in late nov to early jan due to the long growing cycle... 6 months from germ to fruition with exotic superhot peppers, therefore impossible to put new seedlings outside immediately due to cold. they must live indoors under artificial light for 2-3 months. when late march hits and its time to go in ground...they must be hardened off first. if not you will either kill them or severely stunt their growth and burn there leaves. i had over 350 plants last year and hardened them all off. you dont really think that i, and most everyone else who grows these would go to such extremes if it was not necessary do you? hope our advice and experiences have answered your questions and that you heed it if you decide to grow these exotic peppers and want to be successful. good luck and happy growing!

In my experience,in general.IF I put early spring plants outdoors I have no problems.
In mid to late spring I think the roots are too small to deal with the plants in warmer weather.

I have found that with LEDS I can put plants out in brighter conditions than when I use Fluoros.

I always put my plants that I potted up in the lesser lighted areas that I grow in for a week,give or take.
If I pot up and put them in the South facing area I get a little sun scald but a lot of droopy plants by noon.
Some times they get cooked(not enough roots to keep the plant healthy.
I have to water in the AM and evening.
After a week I don't have to mess with my re potted plants.
I think the roots grow enough so they can deal with what the plant needs.

As I said,I use LEDS.I hear they for some reason make plants not mind full sun from indoors.
I do see that until a plant gets a bigger root structure they wilt but don't get sun scald.
I don't know if it is the wave length or Lumens LEDs put out.But something about them makes it easier to put outside than when I have Fluoro grown plants in general.

Also ,my kitchen(start seeds area) is 80+ degrees year round.So the plants might be able to deal with higher temps. I don't know.
I put my plants out in late march +/-.
In June to early July it is 90 degrees or so.
March is our coldest temps in general.
I never get frost warning here.
Air temps. get in the low 30's but only a few nights a year and are never a problem.
Never had a plant get messed up from cold.Heat is a problem at times.A lot of times like between late July and Sept.
My plants do best in the spring and fall.

Your plants should thrive in Auckland (i lived there for five years) my native 'tomatoes' grew like 'weed' sorry i meant 'weeds'

Where are you in Auckland? i was out west, great growing in the Waitak`s. :P

Mezo.

Well thats going to really cramp my style---6 months--ouch.
Got some in the hydro not even 3 months old, going on 2 to 3 feet tall and setting flowers.
Was planning on starting 60 or so in the areogarden April 1st and planting June 1st (weather permitting, frosted on June 2nd this year)

By 2 months, the seedlings will already be "plants" and very crowded.

Start in March, pot in May, plant in June?

Seeds Started in the middle of august was transferred to direct sunlight when first sign of germination appears - all plants are perfect without any sunburn.

Humidity is the key, not heat - in the middle of August 90% humidity is normal there.

As has been said before, if you allow them to adapt to the milder climate inside your house, you have to harden them off, since conditions outdoors are more difficult.

If you start them outside, they never adapt to the milder conditions, and don't need to be re-adapted to the harsher climate outdoors.

In most situations you need to harden them off but it is possible to provide enough stress that they can be moved outdoors permanently without doing so. Primarily you need three things:

Keep them above 80-85F

Give them a LOT of light

Point a fan blowing past them to wiggle them around a bit.

These won't be enough if you're into summer already but it works for me in my grow zone to get them outdoors around the first of May when temps are usually around lower 70's F daytime highs. This is for peppers only, other plants like herbs should be kept under 80F or you'll be encouraging them to bolt before you want them to (if ever).

Your plants should thrive in Auckland (i lived there for five years) my native 'tomatoes' grew like 'weed' sorry i meant 'weeds'

Where are you in Auckland? i was out west, great growing in the Waitak`s. :P

Mezo.
Sup mate.
I live in Mairangi Bay on the North Shore :D
Yep, shore boy - sure thing haha
Only 61% humidity today - what's going on? :S
Anyway, thanks for the tip.. I am having to harden off my little fatali seedling to light as he started in the cupboard.

Back