• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat Why Does Dry Spice Lose It's Heat When Mixed With Franks Red Hot?

Greetings,

So I bought some very hot chili powder with the hope that it would make Franks Red Hot - much hotter, but it seems that mixing the chili powder with Franks, kills the heat of the dry spice.

To clarify - the chili powder is indeed hot when I just put a little on a spoon and eat it, but it's not really making Franks any hotter.
Yes this is for Buffalo Wings - does the butter also impact the heat of the dry spice?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bah! No wonder it's not adding heat. You'd have to dump two of those in, and doesn't that brand have all kinda crap in there like cumin and stuff?
Chili Pepper And Other Spices (Including Paprika, Cumin), Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Garlic, And Extractives Of Cumin.

Welcome to THP where you can buy some REAL chili powders. Pure pepper, no additives. Every pepper imaginable. Can someone help him out? 

Freewheeler said:
So to clarify - the ghost peppers powder is extremely hot, so even though there will be a decrease of heat with the butter and Franks - it won't be as noticeable as the generic chili powder which isn't very hot to begin with?

Something like that!
Try this link:
https://www.heatmadesimple.com/hot-pepper-powders/c-61-world-s-hottest-powders.html

The Hot Pepper said:
Bah! No wonder it's not adding heat. You'd have to dump two of those in, and doesn't that brand have all kinda crap in there like cumin and stuff?
Chili Pepper And Other Spices (Including Paprika, Cumin), Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Garlic, And Extractives Of Cumin.

Welcome to THP where you can buy some REAL chili powders. Pure pepper, no additives. Every pepper imaginable. Can someone help him out? 

Something like that!

Try this link:
https://www.heatmadesimple.com/hot-pepper-powders/c-61-world-s-hottest-powders.html

That bottled chili powder isn't what I bought - I was just indicating that the chili powder I did buy is hotter than the bottled one that is pictured, but let me go and look at the ingredients of my chili powder.

It just says chili peppers in the ingredients.

Here is what I bought - sorry that the picture is so small.

20617703_front_a01.png

Uh that's why I said ghost.

You won't need much to spice it up. The cayenne will dominate. Really any superhot will work. Try a few. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:

You won't need much to spice it up. The cayenne will dominate. Really any superhot will work. Try a few. ;)

Sorry - someone mentioned above that there are various varieties of ghost pepper powder, so I was just curious if there was one that I should get over another.

The Hot Pepper said:

The boss man really means that you won't need a lot. Like start with 1/8 or 1/4 tsp per cup of sauce and see what you think before you put too much in.

Just for reference, this page lists Franks at a Scoville rating of 450. Ghost pepper is rated at 1 million. Won't take much at all :rofl: :onfire:

I agree that the red ghost (bhut jolokai) is one of the better choices. I've grown many types over the years but the red ghost is the only one that I make sure I grow every single year.

my  2 cents-

For a Franks wing sauce, I wouldn't use most bhuts, they seem to have a bit of a smoky note.  maybe some of the red bhuts don't have that note, I dunno, I'm just going off of what bhuts I get from India.  7 Pots, Morugas, other red trinidad scorpion varieties...that's where I would look for some serious heat with the flavor to work with Frank's.

Adding chiles of any variety will change the flavor of the sauce.  I know  it's self-promotion, and Boss can delete this if appropriate.  The only thing I know of to add to a Franks Wing Sauce without changing the flavor is Pure Evil.  Pure unflavored liquid capsaicin. Link in sig line...

Lol...... .. . . . .

That's a damn smooth self promo sl....... diss the ghost pepper but get PE........
Warning point on the way lolllz

I dissed the ghost and suggested 3 others dried powders I thought would be better!  See... I stayed mostly on topic.... ;)  :lol:

freewheeler did say-"Any help with this would be greatly appreciated"  :cool:

PS- We often make the basic Frank's wing sauce when making wings for a group.  It's a great basic recipe.  I usually do the Franks, an Asian Sauce which I've posted several times, and Chipotle BBQ.   Something for everyone.  MMMmmmmm...

sheesh, now I'm craving WANGS!!!!!  maybe this weekend~

Jeff H said:

The boss man really means that you won't need a lot. Like start with 1/8 or 1/4 tsp per cup of sauce and see what you think before you put too much in.

Just for reference, this page lists Franks at a Scoville rating of 450. Ghost pepper is rated at 1 million. Won't take much at all :rofl: :onfire:

I agree that the red ghost (bhut jolokai) is one of the better choices. I've grown many types over the years but the red ghost is the only one that I make sure I grow every single year.

I assume you are joking about the 1 million, but if you are not - I think all I would need is a tiny amount of powder depending on how much of the heat is killed by cooking on the stove with Franks and adding the butter. The wings I typically eat like at Duffs are at the 150,000 to 500,000 scoville rating depending on what I order.

Duff_Chart.jpg

OOOoo!  I like that song!  
xoxo Boss~ 

(pssst...how to hijack a thread without appearing to?....years of practice.... ;)...   :rofl:...)

(( kinda like JayT's microwave hotdog expertice...How does he do that????))

Anyway, back on topic... the butter should help release the heat of whatever dried chile powder is added to the wing sauce.  Ghost chiles are rated in the 800,000-1,000,000 range.  A tiny bit will heat up the Franks sauce quite a bit as JeffH noted.   All the other chiles I mentioned are in that same heat range, but have different flavor profiles than the bhut. 

It seems to me the bhuts have a smoky flavor which is why I suggested some of the other superhot chiles which have a flavor I think would work better with the Franks sauce flavor. 

Back