• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

why superhots??

The people. I do it for the relationships built from people who dont know each other, are on different sides of the world, and come from different walks of life. I have met car people, photo people, exercise people, and couch people. None compare to chili people.

And they are cool and hot.

I just can't buy the superhots at the market and I love to cook with fresh or frozen super hots and then top it off with a nice super hot powder. I love the endorphin rush!

I too have to admit to the need for the cool factor. I love to eat one of these peppers, or use one of my powders and tell friends not to try it, which of course means they have to in order to prove themselves. I then kick back and enjoy the rush while I watch them pace and panic.

Come to think about it that might be one of my favorite parts- just watching tough guys squirm! :rofl: Of course now everyone has heard about it that hasn't tried it so most won't eat anything here without asking and I don't do surprises.

The people. I do it for the relationships built from people who dont know each other, are on different sides of the world, and come from different walks of life. I have met car people, photo people, exercise people, and couch people. None compare to chili people.

And they are cool and hot.
I did not mention this in my post, but it is so true. I have often pondered whether the eating of hot peppers and the subsequent release of endorphins make us pepperheads overly happy and generous. I know that for me just eating a superhot really does elevate my mood noticeably for a period of time. Anyhow, whatever the reason is, chili/pepper people are really awesome and passionate about what they do and I love that about the pepperheads, the superhots and this forum!

As someone who is likely growing a dozen different super hot strains next season, I can tell you that while I love using the powders and flakes for them, I can't eat a whole pod in one day. I grow them because I make vids for my friends of me eating chomps of supers and they're asking for more varieties, but I also love how awesome they are. It's sort of like always trying to outdo yourself by growing a hotter, gnarlier pepper, one that even you can't stand to eat haha. I also find them a bit more challenging to grow than your typical hot peppers. Don't get me wrong, I still eat my supers, I just can't munch a whole one in a single sitting like I see a lot of you guys doing. Then again, my goal is to be able to within the next year, my tolerance just isn't quite there yet!

For me, yeah habaneros can taste incredible, but I much prefer the flavor of the superhots. The heat really isn't that noticable. I can chow down 7 pots without worrying about heat or after effects.
Also the rarity and bragging factors, there are after all very few exotic pepper growers where I am, only heard of 3 others.
All about flavor, heat makes no notable difference to me.

I was a 'superhot' rookie when I found the THP. And now, solidly converted! For some it's about the heat and tolerance (okay, and honestly, the endorphin rush is just plain fun!). But for me personally, it's the big, wide, new world of flavor. I never could have imagined how complex, how mysterious, and how supremely exquisite the flavors of most superhots are! It's like being in a secret club! Sure, the heat and pain are a given, but that unique combo of flavors is what keeps me addicted. And it changes - whether fresh, dried, pickled, sugared, cooked, etc. As to growing multiple plants...I can only speak from my own experience, but when you put that much juju into growing a superhot, you need to hedge your bets on viability. One hailstorm, one hungry (or just cruel) deer, one weekend away from home...can just about wipe out the whole shabang. Never put all your eggs in one basket. And if I end up with "too many" (really, is there such a thing?) - I just get to share that much more! So, don't know if that helped answer your question, but that's my take on the whole wide wonderful world of growing superhots!!!!

Why superhots?

Why not superhots?

1) No other pepper quite compares for both the extreme heat and wonderful flavors in the making and eating of superhot poppers.

2) For those of you that haven't quite summoned up the courage to snort a line of dried freshly ground Douglah powder, you really don't know what you're missing out on...

...truly an unforgettable experience and one that should be on every chileheads bucket list. :mouthonfire: :onfire: :hell: :rofl:

dvg

I think for me it is being able to share them with people who have never heard of them. It is the rarity factor as well. And, one day I hope to be half as cool as Omri. :cool:

2) For those of you that haven't quite summoned up the courage to snort a line of dried freshly ground Douglah powder, you really don't know what you're missing out on...
for some reason I really believe that you did this :crazy: lol

Why not grow superhots? Small town rural Minnesota has nothing hotter than habaneros and I have to drive 30 miles to get them. We make hot sauce, salsa, jelly, many different pepper products and we have no choice but to grow our own. The flavor is great. Super hots are not the only peppers we grow but they are always on the grow list.

I like them mostly 'cos a little goes a long way. I've enjoyed tasting them just to sample their different profiles and decide how the flavor would fit with certain food types. After which I have little desire to try and eat them whole and fresh, that's too crazy for me.
Why do people like paprika, cumin, coriander?....why do people like super-hots? it's mostly the same reason for me.

They're also an outlet for the cruel and evil streak in me..... taking a pod or a bottle and inflicting it on some poor unsuspecting soul in a bar somewhere without getting arrested. How else can you practice masochism and sadomasochism in a public place and not get beaten up and thrown out?

for some reason I really believe that you did this :crazy: lol

It would probably be prudent and well advised to leave this aspect of chile experimentation to be the very last item on any chilehead's said bucket list.

Instead of merely shuffling off of this mortal coil, one would indeed be punted completely out of the park with such an explosive endorphin rush that they would in all likelihood get to 'see' their Maker well before even meeting that very same Holy Highness.

dvg

I was a 'superhot' rookie when I found the THP. And now, solidly converted! For some it's about the heat and tolerance (okay, and honestly, the endorphin rush is just plain fun!). But for me personally, it's the big, wide, new world of flavor. I never could have imagined how complex, how mysterious, and how supremely exquisite the flavors of most superhots are! It's like being in a secret club! Sure, the heat and pain are a given, but that unique combo of flavors is what keeps me addicted. And it changes - whether fresh, dried, pickled, sugared, cooked, etc. As to growing multiple plants...I can only speak from my own experience, but when you put that much juju into growing a superhot, you need to hedge your bets on viability. One hailstorm, one hungry (or just cruel) deer, one weekend away from home...can just about wipe out the whole shabang. Never put all your eggs in one basket. And if I end up with "too many" (really, is there such a thing?) - I just get to share that much more! So, don't know if that helped answer your question, but that's my take on the whole wide wonderful world of growing superhots!!!!

Well said Juju!

I grew an "All Trinidad" crop this year ... Scorpions, Morugas, Douglahs and Yellow 7s.

The colors, textures, shapes and flavors were phenomenal ... true works of art.

I eat a pod a day, sometimes 2 ... and give away some to a few of friends that enjoy spicy foods ...

Chili peppers are the epitome of spicy food ... and these Trinidads are the epitome of chili peppers ... in my opinion.

It just makes sense ... :onfire:

Hottest chilli I've eaten whole is Asian birds eye, and had afew sauces with habs in it. I'm yet to try super hots, nor have I planted them. I can eat a whole Birds eye and I really want to go to the next level and try out a chilli with a different flavor. So I decided to plant habs. Probably next year I will try growing a super hot.

I maybe a noob with chilli, but I can tell you there is nothing worse then eating chilli that is not remotely hot. I bought some birds eyes from a shop last week and they aren't hot at all. I mean you could rub them in your eyes, not hot. And at $20 a kilo their not cheap.

That being said I do want to cook with chilli and try different flavors so I may well plant Jalapenos etc next year as well.

Hey,

I think it was Edmund Hillary (first man to reach the summit of Mount Everest) who was asked... "why do it?" His answer was... "because it was there!".

With the super-hot's come bragging rights lol Some of the chilli-heads here do indeed enjoy eating them. I do for sure, but underneath all that ability to eat super-hots I am sure are self esteem issues and a need to prove myself in front of others lol.

But I must say that as much as I am growing super-hots, I also have an appreciation for and love growing the unusual... The Bishops Crown, Black Pearl, White Hab, Brown Hab, Douglah (to mention but a few)... It's great to enjoy the different shapes and colours as much as it is to have chillies representing all the different strengths. And then of course there are the serious chilli growers who try to push the boundaries by trying to hybridize the super-hots to create even hotter varietals and unusual looking chillies. I have no idea who ButchT is but his chilli is in the Guinness Book of records.

What I can't understand is why people would settle for growing the same old type of chillies... like a Tabasco and a PeriPeri or a Thai Chilli... in light of such amazing different colours, shapes... and yes, heat!?

Back