seed-train Wicked Mike's Newbies Only Seed Train - ROUND TWO

sirex said:

Gonna stop by the post office after I drop the kids off tomorrow. Throw the tracking number up in the AM.
After he drops the kids off at the pool.

Orekoc said:
Hey, fine with me. Your train, bottom line, do what you need to do. Thanks for asking though.
Nah, it's not my train. I just jumpstarted it. This is called the newbie seed train for a reason; it belongs to you guys. Everyone gets a say when it comes to something like redirecting it back here.

That said, today was a good day. For some wicked good jerky.
http://youtu.be/RySHMuLN4Jg

Wicked Mike said:
After he drops the kids off at the pool.

Nah, it's not my train. I just jumpstarted it. This is called the newbie seed train for a reason; it belongs to you guys. Everyone gets a say when it comes to something like redirecting it back here.

That said, today was a good day. For some wicked good jerky.

I call that 'negotiating the release of my chocolate hostage'!

Is there any concern regarding cold weather and shipping seeds?
Could the seeds be damaged if they set in a mailbox for several hours with temperatures below freezing?
Just asking... this is my first seed train.

winland said:
Could the seeds be damaged if they set in a mailbox for several hours with temperatures below freezing?

winland  a lot of people keep seeds in their freezer,some claim it tricks the seeds to pop out early.When they are planted. I don't think they will be hurt any.I use to keep my seeds in the freezer too.The bugs didn't get to eat them and I did see some seeds pop out somewhat quick.The main thing is for them not to get wet.That will be a bad thing,they will start to pop open. :mope:  :mope:  :mope:  :mope:  

pepperguy1 said:

winland  a lot of people keep seeds in their freezer,some claim it tricks the seeds to pop out early.When they are planted. I don't think they will be hurt any.I use to keep my seeds in the freezer too.The bugs didn't get to eat them and I did see some seeds pop out somewhat quick.The main thing is for them not to get wet.That will be a bad thing,they will start to pop open. :mope:  :mope:  :mope:  :mope:  
:O thats good info was wondering about that too :D

winland said:

Good question. Nigel and I were talking about this a while back. Although cooler temperatures are generally preferable for storing seeds, especially for longer periods of time, I'm not entirely convinced about freezing them. No matter how carefully you've dried your seeds, there is going to be some degree of water in them. Unlike most liquids, water expands when it freezes. This causes cell walls to rupture. Freeze a head of lettuce, thaw it out, and see what you get. Granted, properly dried seeds won't have anywhere near that much water in them, but I can't help wondering at what point freezing becomes a case of diminishing returns when weighed against growing out a plant and harvesting the seeds.

I'd also wager that the scientists we hear about freezing seeds are probably using some quick-freeze technique. It makes me think of the application of N2 for making ice cream. The reason it produces such dense, smooth ice cream is that the ice cream batter freezes so quickly that there isn't time for larger ice crystals to farm. Bear in mind, I'm theorizing here, not saying I can cite empirical evidence.

Personally, I store my seeds at ~70° F. If I were planning to store seeds for longer than a year, I'd probably refrigerate them.

So, to answer your original question (in a very roundabout way), I think there are other factors that are far more likely to reduce germination rates than spending some time in the cold, such as the ripeness of the pod from which the seeds came, the length of time between harvesting the pod and harvesting the seeds, the temperature at which the pods were dried (if they were dehydrated prior to seeding), and the overall age of the seeds in question.
Oh, and also...the train is refueled and has left the station. Headed to you, Nearday. Tracking number is 95055110524643515526.

Wicked Mike said:

Good question. Nigel and I were talking about this a while back. Although cooler temperatures are generally preferable for storing seeds, especially for longer periods of time, I'm not entirely convinced about freezing them. No matter how carefully you've dried your seeds, there is going to be some degree of water in them. Unlike most liquids, water expands when it freezes. This causes cell walls to rupture. Freeze a head of lettuce, thaw it out, and see what you get. Granted, properly dried seeds won't have anywhere near that much water in them, but I can't help wondering at what point freezing becomes a case of diminishing returns when weighed against growing out a plant and harvesting the seeds.

I'd also wager that the scientists we hear about freezing seeds are probably using some quick-freeze technique. It makes me think of the application of N2 for making ice cream. The reason it produces such dense, smooth ice cream is that the ice cream batter freezes so quickly that there isn't time for larger ice crystals to farm. Bear in mind, I'm theorizing here, not saying I can cite empirical evidence.

Personally, I store my seeds at ~70° F. If I were planning to store seeds for longer than a year, I'd probably refrigerate them.

So, to answer your original question (in a very roundabout way), I think there are other factors that are far more likely to reduce germination rates than spending some time in the cold, such as the ripeness of the pod from which the seeds came, the length of time between harvesting the pod and harvesting the seeds, the temperature at which the pods were dried (if they were dehydrated prior to seeding), and the overall age of the seeds in question.

Oh, and also...the train is refueled and has left the station. Headed to you, Nearday. Tracking number is 95055110524643515526.
 this got me all curious and i remembered there is a large storage facility the Svalbard global seed vault, so i headed over to the always reliable wiki haha ;) and apparently "The seeds are stored in four-ply sealed envelopes, then placed into plastic tote containers on metal shelving racks. The storage rooms are kept at −18 °C (−0.4 °F)" 
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

yeah as long as they dont have lots of water i don't think it should be bad.

They drop on the ground and sit under snow etc in nature and grow without our intervention anyway.

glad to see the trains till going, and i see a couple of my packets still wow lol.

juanitos said:
yeah as long as they dont have lots of water i don't think it should be bad.

They drop on the ground and sit under snow etc in nature and grow without our intervention anyway.

glad to see the trains till going, and i see a couple of my packets still wow lol.
Yeah o think what's really awesome is that so far no one has been greedy and just taken a while lot without giving some.

Awesome job guys!!!

sirex said:
Yeah o think what's really awesome is that so far no one has been greedy and just taken a while lot without giving some.

Awesome job guys!!!

I was thinking the same thing.
Daedra said:
 this got me all curious and i remembered there is a large storage facility the Svalbard global seed vault, so i headed over to the always reliable wiki haha ;) and apparently "The seeds are stored in four-ply sealed envelopes, then placed into plastic tote containers on metal shelving racks. The storage rooms are kept at −18 °C (−0.4 °F)" 
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault
I seen something awhile back,about seeds banks doing test on their seeds.I don't remember where ,but the seeds were something like 10 years old.They still sprout well.Like Wicked Mike said there are a lot of factors involved. 

Back