• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wild Chiltepins!

On my grocery shopping foray this afternoon, I stopped by our eclectic little greengrocer (Flagstaff Farmers Market) here in Flagstaff. They're awesome and carry lots of great stuff. They are known to carry wild-harvested foods like pinyon nuts as they become available and people bring them in. So today I go in and head over to the dried chile section. Oh, you ought to see it! It's a place of beauty, folks! Bulk bins of Ancho, Jalapeno, Cayenne, New Mexico, and Chipotle powders at a price you cannot beat. Bulk bins of dried chiles. A bulk bin of whole chipotles! But, ok, so I look up and what do I see? Ziplok baggies of Chiltepins! Wild-gathered Chiltepins, gathered from down in the southern part of the state. I bought a bag right away. When I got them home and smelled them, I went back and got a SECOND bag!!!

The smell is deliciously, fruity and spicy with a strong fresh red chile scent. Which is pretty intense, because these are dried, yet smell like cut open fresh red chiles with a strong fruity-spicy undertone. The taste? Simply nirvana. Wonderfully hot, but delightful flavor. Strong, rich chile flavor. I cannot describe it enough to do it justice. I garnered the seeds out of a few of them and bagged them up for Spring planting. I don't know if they'll grow here, but I am greatly hoping they will. I can garner more seeds from these. Fascinating---each Chiltepin has about six or seven seeds in it. You can definitely see how this chile is the progenitor of what we know as chiles. The thing is very attractive to behold. A shiny, red berry. Birds would see this quite some distance away and that was the chile's evolutionary strategy. Being as birds cannot taste capsaicin, they could eat the entire Chiltepin and transport quite a few seeds quite a distance from the parent plant, thus spreading itself while reducing competition for water resources in the parent plants' area. A bird the size of a Stellar's Jay could probably eat quite a few Chiltepins.

I'll be able to glean quite a few seeds as I am eating these Chiltepins. I should probably go buy another bag soon. Very soon! I'll be writing at length on these Chiltepins on my blog. I've already posted there about this find.

I lived on the rim of the Canyon in the early 70's.
Worked for Food and Beverage for Fred Harvery/Amfac.
Flag was the only place besides Wiliams to go anywhere period. LOL
Made monthly beer and grocery runs.
Not to mention hitting up the Stereo and record shops for equipment and tunes.

Flag was a cool place back then.Hope it stayed that way.

Haven't been there since 80 or 81.

The Canyon sure changed for the worse in my opinion.

I left the Canyon in 76 or so.
I gotta go back to flag and the canyon one of these days.

These came from my chiltepins last year. I'm absolutely in love with those little fireballs!

2aa185ab-fe08-4ff2-98f5-e4e79934e4d7.jpg

I'll be able to glean quite a few seeds as I am eating these Chiltepins. I should probably go buy another bag soon. Very soon! I'll be writing at length on these Chiltepins on my blog. I've already posted there about this find.

Neat find! I wish the farmers markets around here sold more chiles.

Unfortunately, you might have a difficult time getting the chiltepins to germinate if they've been dried using a dehydrator (or any method which "cooks" the chiles). Either way, keep us posted!

Smokemaster, yes, the Grand Canyon has it's downfalls---bada bing! Thanks, folks, try the Chile Rellenos over in the cafe and don't forget to tip your waitress! I know, "downfall", bad pun...

But, seriously, the Grand Canyon has been active of late. I think we've had three or four jumpers this winter. Some of them are "might be" jumpers. Those are the ones no one knows if they jumped intentionally or were doing the "Hmmm...I'll just take a quick peek over the edge to see what it looks like and----AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Flagstaff is a great place to live. We have a great East Indian restaurant here called Himalayan Grill. Place is awesome. We said "Indian hot" when they asked the heat level, the waiters bringing it out looked like when we exited the tear gas chamber in army basic training! It was awesome. We said hot, they brought HOT! Usually you ask for "hot" and places wave a chile over the plate and call it good. This place cooks GREAT food! It's almost the only restaurant we eat at here. Though there is a great Mexican restaurant here that will satisfy when you ask "Don't you have any hotter salsa than this?" Shwing! Out comes the habanero salsa from the back---the stuff you gotta ASK for! It rocks, too. We like to eat there. We have a Summer local agriculture community market where you can get fresh cayenne, jalapeno, and habanero peppers grown locally and picked that day. Outstanding! All this and green chiles, too! And the fire-roasting of Hatch, NM green chiles here lets you know Autumn is here in Flagstaff. Nothing else smells so awesome.

All chiletepins are wild. Piquins are the domestic equivalent.

Tepins come into the mercados in season and, if you aren't there when they arrive, you're not likely to get any. Same in restaurants, in season they're used extensively which is probably who's getting them from the mercados.

Sometimes, I state the obvious :) As many Gary Paul Nabhan books as I've read, you'd think I would know that everyone knows all Chiltepins are wild, LOL! I cannot get over how delicious these Chiltepins are!!!! :dance:

Back