• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Another CAP 500 up (right) plus a Purple Flowered Baccatum hybrid (left)

20211229-left-purple-flwr-bacc-right-cap500.jpg
Just noticed I must of been thinking of something else when typing that previous post. The one on the right isn't CAP 500 it's PI 260567.

I also have a question on PI 260567 which someone might have a view on. Comparing SLP listing for PI 260567 of small red, elongated, fruits with that listed on ARS GRIN which is a bigger yellow fruit. Anybody grow these from either source before? I suspect the SLP listing is incorrect.

I also have a question on PI 260567 which someone might have a view on. Comparing SLP listing for PI 260567 of small red, elongated, fruits with that listed on ARS GRIN which is a bigger yellow fruit. Anybody grow these from either source before? I suspect the SLP listing is incorrect.
Photo from your link:

PI_260567_HF_2003.jpg

You spot the berries in the left upper corner? Perhaps there was a mixup in the past... and the ascension contains seeds of both varieties.

Photo from your link:

PI_260567_HF_2003.jpg

You spot the berries in the left upper corner? Perhaps there was a mixup in the past... and the ascension contains seeds of both varieties.
You know what, I totally missed those in the upper left corner! The other two photos on there show the yellow one too. What I had checked was the link to the original record on that site which also says yellow.

Beware folks, this is what happens when you spend your life looking at pictures of peppers - pepper blind 🙈 Thanks @ahayastani

You know what, I totally missed those in the upper left corner! The other two photos on there show the yellow one too. What I had checked was the link to the original record on that site which also says yellow.

Those things happen, to me as well :)

This pepper was like a déjà-vu. I have seeds of this variety from SLP in the fridge, waiting for the time I'll have some decent land to cultivate peppers, so I guess I must have searched for it before. However, it's not fresh in my mind.

PI_260567-B_FOP_2003.jpg

Some images say "mixed", so I assume they know "something happened". The record you link to indicates that the yellow baccatum most likely was the variety intended for collection, and that the red berry is the "contaminant". However, I cannot derive from SLP's text that they themselves were aware of the mixup. Googling for images, I see red berries as well as yellow baccatum peppers. It is also available in the Wageningen CGN collection as CGN 23260 which only makes reference of the yellow baccatum pepper. CGN as well as GRIN have the same seed source (Paul G. Smith, 1959 expedition).

Now I'm jealous, @ChilliCrosser, My flexuosums
and lanceolatums are still 'Semillas Non Grata',
evidently :lol:

@CaneDog - is that Cumari do Para a volunteer?
Curious to know what soil was bad.
Yeah,Paul,what's with these dysfunctional wild seeds?...they better get "cracking" soon ,ghee you planted them since '21.:cool:

Now I'm jealous, @ChilliCrosser, My flexuosums
and lanceolatums are still 'Semillas Non Grata',

Ha, actually that's real funny Paul...I was gonna say instead of Semillas non Grata: " Semillas Duh"...but I like your take better.:D

Last edited:
c. galapagoense flower buds.

There are only two buds really developing on
this plant, the rest are all little, almost embry-
onic. Barely more than fuzzy bumps.
A6E33845-562B-48A3-9EE0-27C9B7471FB4_1_201_a.jpeg

Pendant flowers with longish stems.
Is that the normal growth habit?
8EEE1DA8-027F-4B20-968C-53EF2274BBB9_1_201_a.jpeg

C10B04A7-01BB-4D87-B057-3B54D18CF1B0_1_201_a.jpeg

Pendant flowers with longish stems.
Is that the normal growth habit?

I remember from my plant last year that the stems are relatively long but not as pendant as in your image. One flower is a low sample count, however :) What I remember best is that the plant had a lot of trichomes.

I remember from my plant last year that the stems are relatively long but not as pendant as in your image. One flower is a low sample count, however :) What I remember best is that the plant had a lot of trichomes.
I guess these Galapagoense check that box.
Will have to wait until it’s flowering in earnest,
if that ever happens, to get a better idea of the
flowering habit.

Back