• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wild Varieties....

I was thinking about packing in one more plant and adding a wild variety. I will have a heat mat for germinating seeds this season; however, I do not have a ton of experience so varieties that are really difficult to germinate I would like to avoid. So, with that being said, I was wondering if anyone had any varieties they could recommend?

Thanks,
Josh

Josh,I have a Florida wild bird pepper,My plant purchased used from a local botanist.It is at least 2 years old(I can see several stumps)Grew to 3',peppers all year.Hot lil'buggers.Slightly elongated.I've got a few pods I can send you,lots of seeds in each,That way you can taste and decide if you want to plant.Lately the ripe pods have been disapearing to fast to recover any,I'm looking forward to seeing these all over the hood next year from bird distribution!Same thing happened about 10 years ago with some tobascos untill we had a hard freeze one year.They are aparently very easy to propagate seeing all the sprouts in the pot!And it has been a bit chilly here lately.Be glad to make a trade or send a few for sase.The birds and I both enjoy them and I'm sure you will also!I also have some TFM(Tampa Farmers Market) birds I'll throw in for grins also,probably from mexico.Let me know...

Soaking seeds in a saltpeter solution helps them germinate, kills any fungus that my be on the seeds and the germinate faster, too! I used to saok mine in chamonille tea, but the saltpeter beats that by far. Don't soak them for more than 12-24h though!

Chiliac said:
Soaking seeds in a saltpeter solution helps them germinate, kills any fungus that my be on the seeds and the germinate faster, too! I used to saok mine in chamonille tea, but the saltpeter beats that by far. Don't soak them for more than 12-24h though!

I have seen 915River talk about using peroxide. Do you know if the saltpeter is the same or better? Only because I already have peroxide.

talas said:
Some good choices there Josh,Id add Any C.Eximium Great wild plants and fairly easy to germinate :)

Yea, well, I figure I need to come to the realization that I am not going to be able to grow everything I want to next year. That is ok because obviously every year I can choose different plants to grow. I will be sure to bother you in coming seasons hahah. Thanks for the help.
Josh

scoville said:
Josh,I have a Florida wild bird pepper,My plant purchased used from a local botanist.It is at least 2 years old(I can see several stumps)Grew to 3',peppers all year.Hot lil'buggers.Slightly elongated.I've got a few pods I can send you,lots of seeds in each,That way you can taste and decide if you want to plant.Lately the ripe pods have been disapearing to fast to recover any,I'm looking forward to seeing these all over the hood next year from bird distribution!Same thing happened about 10 years ago with some tobascos untill we had a hard freeze one year.They are aparently very easy to propagate seeing all the sprouts in the pot!And it has been a bit chilly here lately.Be glad to make a trade or send a few for sase.The birds and I both enjoy them and I'm sure you will also!I also have some TFM(Tampa Farmers Market) birds I'll throw in for grins also,probably from mexico.Let me know...

In terms of what I have available to trade here goes...
(Pure)
Thai Super Hot
Serrano
Red Paper Lantern
Ring of Fire
Caribbean Red
Chocolate Habanero
Big Jim
Tabasco
Joe's Long Cayenne

(Saved from my plants - 2008 season)
Red Habanero
Orange Habanero
Some type of Yellow Scotch Bonnet

If none interest you just let me know and I can send you a letter with return postage etc. In terms of sending the actual pepper...that is ok, I figure if it is just the seeds it will be less on postage and easier to ship. Thanks though.

imaguitargod said:
Brazilian Wild or Wild Brazil (never could get that right), small, tasty, and hot!

I think I am going to have to wait to try this one another season because Scoville has offered me seeds. Thanks for your input though IGG. Was that the variety that grew like 10ft for you or was that something else? I cannot remember...

Josh

Chiliac said:

Saltpeter you say....You know you can make a wicked smoke bomb with saltpeter and sugar. Or you can make gunpowder with saltpeter, sulfur & charcoal. Lol, just the word saltpeter gives me flashbacks to my pyromaniacal youth. Glad I grew up when I did, I'd probably be considered an f'ing terrorist for the shit my friends and I used to pull.

Josh said:
I think I am going to have to wait to try this one another season because Scoville has offered me seeds. Thanks for your input though IGG. Was that the variety that grew like 10ft for you or was that something else? I cannot remember...

Josh
Nah, that was the Piquin that grew 10 feet tall. I haven't grown the Wild Brazil yet but I got fresh pods and seeds from a pepper farmer I know.

imaguitargod said:
Nah, that was the Piquin that grew 10 feet tall. I haven't grown the Wild Brazil yet but I got fresh pods and seeds from a pepper farmer I know.

Oh that's cool. I will be sure to try it in coming seasons...

Back