• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wind and Pot Plants

talas said:
hehe Quad leave R.B alone that plant/Tree needs dealing with first..surprised you hadn't thought of string R.B..What plant/tree is it ? :)

:lol: It's a Brazilian Mini-Bonnet Talas, whatever one of them is. The fruits look like Aji Brazilian Starfish.

rainbowberry said:
:lol: It's a Brazilian Mini-Bonnet Talas, whatever one of them is. The fruits look like Aji Brazilian Starfish.

A Mini - Bonnet A..you could repopulate parts of the Brazilian rain forest with that R.B :shocked::lol:

It must be about 7 feet something. I did a rough guess of its height this morning by standing on a chair in the house near the window and measured the chair, very scientific I know but it was raining cats and dogs at the time.

Sickmont said:
What? In England? No way!!

Yep, you know when it's gonna rain in England because the cows lie down in the fields, see we don't need all this advanced weather satellite forecasting stuff, we just look at the cows.

MiLK_MaN said:
I've had an idea. I was thinking of buying some small but heavy concrete tiles, and somehow attaching the base of the pot to the tile.

I just have to come up with a solution where the attachment is temporary, so I can still unattach the pot from the base and move around if necessary.

Any ideas at all?

velcro & epoxy glue, you should be good to go. quick & simple, you can buy the bigger velcro straps (2" wide & something like 3'-5' long ?) at walmart or some other place that sells fabric.

as for plywood (if anyone is looking in that direction) I would stay away from that, hence why I said OSB. plywood warps far more than OSB & if used could be more unstable for purposes for keeping something level outside.

MiLK_MaN said:
I've had an idea. I was thinking of buying some small but heavy concrete tiles, and somehow attaching the base of the pot to the tile.

I just have to come up with a solution where the attachment is temporary, so I can still unattach the pot from the base and move around if necessary.

Any ideas at all?

Variation on a theme:
What about epoxy to an empty pot of the same type, or only slightly larger size, and then stack the one the plant is in, in the weighted one?

RS

Thats actually a fairly good idea.

I was reading a few ideas from google, one involved getting a bigger pot, turning it upside down, cutting a hole in it, and then placing the pot inside that. I was warming to that idea, but now you've mentioned using a bigger pot right side up, then glueing that to the concrete tile, I really like that idea.

The pots I am using are 300mm. Im sure I can find the most cheapest 350mm pot ever and glue the base to concrete tiles. Hopefully I can restrict the cost to like $5 per tile/pot setup.

Damn wind in Melbourne, the estate we live in isnt fully finished yet, and I'm not far from a deep gorge, so the wind can whip up from time to time.

Even a pot the same size would work, so long as you can get your feet onto the tile/paver, and have enough strength to lift up the pot with the plant.
However, you're probly right in that a bigger pot would just make it toooooo easy!

Ahhhhhh! I just re-read your post milko...

So by inverting the pot, all you are doing is making the base wider than the top. This would work, but when you start getting into 300mm pots, it starts getting a bit expensive (at least here in Oz it does!! damn arse-end of the world...) and the inverted larger pot needs to get quite big for this to work well.

RS

you can still use the same size containers, just put some small flat object inside the empty container to give space between the 2 containers. which it'd also allow more room for drainage.

Ok, so off to bunnings I went today.

I have got some square concrete pavers for like $5.20 each, and this 280mm plastic pot for $1.20 or something, and the Yates water saving pots I am using fit absolutely perfect in there.

I was hoping to keep it under $5 a pop for each paver/pot combo, but $6.40 aint too bad.

I took a pic of my overwintered plants outside, you'll quickly see why any gust of wind knock them over quickly.

2737506839_c42f215207.jpg

2737505253_1ff2601095.jpg

Nice collection of plants there buddy..they really are large plants so i can see why the wind would be a problem :)

I managed to fix the issue with a concrete block, a 290mm pot and superglue. It's been quite windy over the last few days, and all the plants are outside full time now, not one has fallen over.

Now I have to deal with fallen leaves all over the floor while the pampered plants toughen up.

I got tired of picking my plants up each day I came home after work that had blown over with the wind so I used a couple of 4X4s and 1X12s...this may not be practical for a lot of plants but it works just fine for these 4...they are almost 6' tall although the pic doesn't look like it...

082008a001.jpg

Yeah, I saw that pic in another thread. I'm trying to maintain my grass, so trying not to put my pots directly on the grass. I have very little space both in the front and the back anyway, they make tiny little land blocks available now (550m2 is what we bought, and it was one of the bigger ones in the estate) for some reason.

I think when I plan on buying my next house hopefully in a few years, I'll take careful consideration about sun position and house placement. I really like the idea of roof gardening too, just need to have a flat concrete surface that gets lots of sun, and put some shades up for the really harsh months.

Back