• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wind Blowing New Transplants Over.

I just transplanted a few of my peppers outside that are about a foot and a half tall.
The wind isnt too strong, but I guess it just doesnt have enough support to stay up.
What do you reccommend I do to help it stay up?

here a picture of one of them.
001-1.jpg

will a pencil work ?
Probably, depending on the height on the plants. If you don't have anything else around try using duct tape and linking several pencils, then root them in the ground and lightly bind them to the plants with string.

Bamboo shoots and plastic zip ties work the best, if you can get them.

Good luck.

-Peter

these are 3/4 x 1 inch X 4 ft work pretty well for me, wind at first and then for fruit load later. Plus they are big enough to write their names on.;)

I use binder twin, zip ties like B2BS mentioned and even Velcro straps work great and are quickly adjustable, ebay 50' rolls.:dance:

I used some bamboo sticks last year but they where to small of a diameter (bigger ones availible) to hold up all the fruit and came close to poking my eye out once, go a head and laugh,:(

08clg.jpg

these are 3/4 x 1 inch X 4 ft work pretty well for me, wind at first and then for fruit load later. Plus they are big enough to write their names on.;)

I use binder twin, zip ties like B2BS mentioned and even Velcro straps work great and are quickly adjustable, ebay 50' rolls.:dance:

I used some bamboo sticks last year but they where to small of a diameter (bigger ones availible) to hold up all the fruit and came close to poking my eye out once, go a head and laugh,:(

08clg.jpg

man you just have to keep showing me those don't you! lol
Very jealous..those are awesome

you can also use wood skewers used in bbq's. They sell like 50 or 100 in a pack. Just go to a grocery store or sports to get them.

Sell-Wood-Skewers.jpg

Then use twisty ties to connect the stem to the skewer. connect them together around 3/4 of the height of the plant.

you can also use wood skewers used in bbq's. They sell like 50 or 100 in a pack. Just go to a grocery store or sports to get them.

Sell-Wood-Skewers.jpg

Then use twisty ties to connect the stem to the skewer. connect them together around 3/4 of the height of the plant.

thankk youu i just did thatt ! worked superr well !

here they aree.
All Fixed And Happy

002-1.jpg

Your pepper's seem to be very leggy (or just very tall). The skewers are also too short to support the whole plant. You can go to home depot or lowes and buy some wooden bamboo supports. That way the whole stem is supported as right now it is just kneeling and twisting/bending against the support. Use multiple twisty ties along the stem to support the plant. Here are some bamboo supports:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100555811/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100619188/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Your pepper's seem to be very leggy (or just very tall). The skewers are also too short to support the whole plant. You can go to home depot or lowes and buy some wooden bamboo supports. That way the whole stem is supported as right now it is just kneeling and twisting/bending against the support. Use multiple twisty ties along the stem to support the plant. Here are some bamboo supports:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100555811/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100619188/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

hmm alriight.
ill use more twisty's for now, & ill pick some bamboo up tommorow !

My advise is to just get some BIG stakes to start off with. I've upsized my stakes 3 or 4 times in past years. Use what you have now, but if you're going to spend money, just get some big ones and save yourself more $ and work later. You can get a 8' 1x2 for like $0.89, and make 2 stakes from it. They will last a few years too.

My advise is to just get some BIG stakes to start off with. I've upsized my stakes 3 or 4 times in past years. Use what you have now, but if you're going to spend money, just get some big ones and save yourself more $ and work later. You can get a 8' 1x2 for like $0.89, and make 2 stakes from it. They will last a few years too.

yeah ima get some bamboo tommorow

Looks to me like you could have planted those deeper. Looks like you have about 6+ inches from the soil to the lowest leaves.

Did you not get a fan on them when they were indoors? Those most have some really weak stems if the wind wasn't that strong like you said, and they got blown completely on their side.

Looks to me like you could have planted those deeper. Looks like you have about 6+ inches from the soil to the lowest leaves.

Did you not get a fan on them when they were indoors? Those most have some really weak stems if the wind wasn't that strong like you said, and they got blown completely on their side.

noo I didnt' get a fan. Is that something most people do?
I've never heard of it?
do you reccommend I get for my new plants asap?

Back