• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

Nice score on the fresh Manzano's!

What you're saying about you youngin's are they in the house? or in the garage?

I've been starting in the house and put them in MG green bag potting soil as soon as they stand up. It's worked well for me this season so far.

Thanks for believing in me Stefan. Okay, I need to steel myself for this... :rolleyes: Definitely need to sleep on it.

The Manzano flavor is certainly way different from any other chile, and not at all what I expected, but I find them to be damn tasty.

Devv said:
Nice score on the fresh Manzano's!

What you're saying about you youngin's are they in the house? or in the garage?

I've been starting in the house and put them in MG green bag potting soil as soon as they stand up. It's worked well for me this season so far.

Hey Scott! They're in the house under grow lights, sitting on a heating pad...I think it must have been the damnable cold we had for the first 6 weeks of the year. It seemed to permeate everything in the house, even when the air temp was in the 70s...

You are the third or fourth grower to tell me he transplants as soon as he sees cotyledons...I'm just about convinced. Thanks dude!

Devv said:
I did notice when it got cold a few weeks ago, my germing stopped, as the heat heat is set to 68° and I don't have a heating pad. I will next year!

The heating pad and the lights made a huge difference for me, Scott. Before that I was sprouting seeds in a Jiffy Tray on the windowsill.

capsidadburn said:
I have transplanted plenty of times after coty''s in the past.  This year I germed in the 3x3's and waited longer.

Thanks, Mike...I moved 5 NagaBrain and 2 Madame Jeanette sprouts to MG Potting Mix yesterday. If they do okay I'll begin to move the remainder....Man, I really did not like handling those tender little babies like that!

If I had not gotten the encouragement from expert growers that I know and trust, like you, Stefan, Greg, and whoever else recommended it, I would have never tried such a scary maneuver!

Here's a pik of my lone CAP 501 x Bhut Jolokia (Spicegeist). Only 1 sprout out of 10 cells sown. Sure hope this baby grows true:

CAP501xBhut.jpg

Glad you made through Gary!  I think the worst that happens is a little drooping lay over that perks up fairly quick.

The rest of us here have NO doubts about your abilities!  Now bring home the NagaBrain bacon!

I transplanted a nice one of those today!

Cheers!   Glad I reread this!

Mike

You won't be disappointed, Gary. They are stronger then most people think they are, I have been doing it since I had the problems seasons ago and they bounced back so quickly. After transplant I always put an dome around them with a which creates a higher humidity so they don't go droopy and risk getting shocked. It's probably not necessary but it works for me so :)

GA Growhead said:
Have been transplanting today.
I just divided 6 plants out of a couple pellets!
Went fine. Most pellets had two to four though.
I needed a calculator there was such much dividing today!
:lol:

windchicken said:

Thanks Stefan! I know you're right...I just can't get up the nerve to transplant such tender little babies...

Thanks Greg...They're greening up real nice...By the way, everyone here loves the Scotch Bonnet sauce the best...I would buy a gallon in a heartbeat...  :P

I just received this breathtaking shipment of Chile Manzano from checkerkitty....Wow, thanks so much Christy! These pods are just amazing! :woohoo:

manzano1.jpg

manzano2.jpg

You, sir, are more than welcome!  I owe you the thanks  :dance: !

Christy

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the progress man! I am with you... I just xplant from the pellets into cups when they stands up. A little less traumatizing unless the pellet comes apart. You do have to take the netting off, but I lost no sprouts that way.

Thanks Adam! I have always done exactly as you describe, for 6 seasons of growing chiles. As you say, I really feel  like I am traumatizing my plants when I see their tiny, threadlike roots naked and defenseless… :cool:

capsidadburn said:
Glad you made through Gary!  I think the worst that happens is a little drooping lay over that perks up fairly quick.

The rest of us here have NO doubts about your abilities!  Now bring home the NagaBrain bacon!

I transplanted a nice one of those today!

Cheers!   Glad I reread this!

Mike

Haha, thanks for the kudos Mike! It really does help…This will certainly be a good year for the NagaBrain, especially with you and the other madly-skilled THP chile heads making the F3 NagaBrain grow truly epic... :party:

The transplanted babies are still looking good today, 2 full days after the surgery…They have yet to pull ahead of their litter mates, but they are nice and green and holding their heads up high.

GA Growhead said:
Have been transplanting today.
I just divided 6 plants out of a couple pellets!
Went fine. Most pellets had two to four though.
I needed a calculator there was such much dividing today!

Cool Jason! That's one great benefit of this super early transplanting that I did not anticipate…Where before there were 15 NagaBrain seedlings, now there are are 22; where before there 5 Madame Jeanette seedlings, now there are 8. And there are several more "clumped" seedlings of both those varieties, so I could easily end up with 50 or so NagaBrain plants and 15 or 16 Madame Jeanette plants…That alone makes this worth doing, and now I can see why many growers start out by just throwing a bunch of seeds in a single cup or tray of dirt….It really changes things!

meatfreak said:
You won't be disappointed, Gary. They are stronger then most people think they are, I have been doing it since I had the problems seasons ago and they bounced back so quickly. After transplant I always put an dome around them with a which creates a higher humidity so they don't go droopy and risk getting shocked. It's probably not necessary but it works for me so :)

:lol:

Thanks Stefan! You know I trust you!

I want to use the dome, especially since the problems I've had with extreme cold weather this year, but I have an irrational fear of damping-off. I've lost many, many seedlings over the years to that…I know it has been my fault, due to my overwatering, but I just can't shake my anxiety around high humidity right now….

Spicegeist said:

Wow, very cool :dance: .

It's F2, so it could turn out any number of ways... should be interesting!

Thanks Charles! I'm excited about this one for sure!

checkerkitty said:

You, sir, are more than welcome!  I owe you the thanks  :dance: !

Christy

I am SO loving the Manzanos, Christy. Thanks again!!!

Sadly, my chile world will never be the same now that you have introduced me to the pleasures of the Chile Manzano…I'm afraid a climate-controlled grow house is now inevitable…. :P

Thanks Mike! I'm trying to research it online, but everything I find seems to be targeted at growing weed…I am SO over that.

Last night I was walking my dog in the neighborhood, and I noticed a house with a real nice little outbuilding next to the driveway that I had always assumed was either a playhouse or a storage room. Except that last night it was brightly lit with grow lights and full of some kind of plants. I didn't get too close, but I swear it looked like they were growing papaya in there…I'm going to knock on their door one day soon and ask if they'll show it to me...

And the NagaBrain train rolls on!  Cool Scott.

Sounds good with your neighbor Gary!  Let us know how it go's.

Gary, I am glad to hear that you have come of age proper with the Manzano's!  Imagine back in the days of the Inca's, gathering daily, or for a special feast!  To be there now would be something wouldn't it.

Kudo's to Checkerkitty!

Later Mike

Everything is looking very nice WC. Loving those OW's, they are huge. Don't be shy about knocking on your neighbors door. I did the same thing while walking my husky. He gladly took me on a tour of his property and showed me all his plants that he OW's. He had lots of house plants and a shelf full of tomatoes in a 4x6 greenhouse from harbor freight. I bought on that year for my son and I.
Here's my/yours cumari do para

Devv said:
I planted 3 NagaBrain seeds in each pellet, then I added more, and they all came up. So I had 6 in 1 pellet, and more in another. I separated them last weekend, they all handled it fine.

Here's 2:
411.JPG

412.JPG

Sorry for the hijack!

Jeez, Scott, those plants are just gorgeous! You can post pix like that here anytime! Very, very nice work…Thanks SO much!  :dance:

capsidadburn said:
And the NagaBrain train rolls on!  Cool Scott.

Sounds good with your neighbor Gary!  Let us know how it go's.

Gary, I am glad to hear that you have come of age proper with the Manzano's!  Imagine back in the days of the Inca's, gathering daily, or for a special feast!  To be there now would be something wouldn't it.

Kudo's to Checkerkitty!

Later Mike

Lol, all aboard the NagaBrain Train! What do you think about my starting a NagaBrain thread here, Mike? There are some amazing NB grows going, and it would be nice to have them all in one place...

Lol, I reckon I'm a big boy now, but I already find myself pining for a simpler, more carefree time before I knew the joys of the Manzano… :cool: Sadly, what is once known can never be un-known….

I love to think about stuff like that, Mike! I would love to go back in time and sit down to a nice spicy meal with some of those chile heads of yore…However, eating and growing their peppers seems like a sort of connection across the ages, at any rate. According to Dave Dewitt, C. pubescens was first cultivated 6000 years ago, and the ancestral plant is completely unknown…That makes it several millennia older than even the Incan civilization. That's pretty freakin old, and says something about how deeply the love of chile runs in the human genome!

Scarecrw said:
Everything is looking very nice WC. Loving those OW's, they are huge. Don't be shy about knocking on your neighbors door. I did the same thing while walking my husky. He gladly took me on a tour of his property and showed me all his plants that he OW's. He had lots of house plants and a shelf full of tomatoes in a 4x6 greenhouse from harbor freight. I bought on that year for my son and I.
Here's my/yours cumari do para

Cool, thanks Jeff! Most people do seem anxious to talk about the stuff they truly love…That Cumari plant is lush and damned robust! You will be snacking on little yellow fireballs in no time! Thanks for posting, and thanks for stopping by…It's good to hear from you!

Back