• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2015

It was from my own inaction that I missed so many of my awesome THP friends over most of last season…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a grow log…Those of you who have not fallen prey to that particular internet time-waster of which I speak and have remained loyal to THP have my greatest love and respect…I pledge today to maintain this glog throughout the complete 2015 grow season! 

Last weekend (January 10 & 11) I sowed most of my C. chinense seeds: 4 x 18-cell trays, 72 x 3" wide cells. The sprouting medium is Fafard Super Fine Germination Mix. The light stand is Harris Seed's "8 Tray 2-Tier Combo", which includes a 4' x 2' heat mat and a light timer. New this year is a DeLonghi radiant heater to drive out the cold drafts in this spare bedroom. Everything else is the same as last year. 

As far as varieties sown this year, I agonized over a couple of "dream" lists during the fall, and obsessed over a nice spreadsheet in the week preceding this sowing, but I couldn't settle on a firm "assemblage" of super hot varieties. So I waited until the last minute (after the soil was already in the trays) and went with my gut. This is what I sowed:

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover.com), 18
7 Pot Primo (Primo's Backyard Select) 9
Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F4), 9 (Spicegeist's wonderfully hot and flavorful marriage of 2 yellow Caribbean classics)
Baby Barrackpore (F3), 9 (my favorite of the 3 phenotypes of Spicegeist's Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore)
NagaBrain Red (F4), 9
NagaBrain Chocolate, Tmudder Strain (F3), 9
NagaBrain Yellow (F2), 9

chinense_trays_2015.jpg

windchicken said:

This bed has never been fertilized, not even with manure, worm tea, or other "organic" products. All the nutrients in this soil are the products of the RCW forest-soil-building process

This is a revolutionary approach Gary, very happy to see your results.
I can't imagine nothing more natural and K.I.S.S. than this.

Cya

Datil

Datil said:

This is a revolutionary approach Gary, very happy to see your results.
I can't imagine nothing more natural and K.I.S.S. than this.

Cya

Datil

Thanks so much Fabrizio! My aim is to build soil the same way the forest does it, but in a few years rather than hundreds of years.... :P

I had been waiting for days for this f3 NagaBrain Chocolate pod to achieve total brown-ness, but the birds decided for me that it was time to taste this bad boy...Wow! I may have finally achieved the romy6 level of potency and flavah! One tiny nibble off of the tip of this pod was all I could handle...

nb_chocolate_jun5_3.jpg

nb_chocolate_jun5_2.jpg

windchicken said:

Thanks so much Fabrizio! My aim is to build soil the same way the forest does it, but in a few years rather than hundreds of years.... :P

I had been waiting for days for this f3 NagaBrain Chocolate pod to achieve total brown-ness, but the birds decided for me that it was time to taste this bad boy...Wow! I may have finally achieved the romy6 level of potency and flavah! One tiny nibble off of the tip of this pod was all I could handle...

If you couldn't handle it I wonder what happend to the birds :)

dustonj2008 said:
Fantastic looking pod! Kudos man!

Thanks Duston!

PaulS said:
If you couldn't handle it I wonder what happend to the birds :)

Lol, thanks Paul...I'm hoping their little birdie heads exploded... :twisted: They have begun pecking at the green pods now—I'm afraid bird netting is now inevitable, and I really, really don't like messing around with all that.

windchicken said:

Thanks Duston!

Lol, thanks Paul...I'm hoping their little birdie heads exploded... :twisted: They have begun pecking at the green pods now—I'm afraid bird netting is now inevitable, and I really, really don't like messing around with all that.
Yeah would be annoying to lift everytime you want to get to your plants or to have to build a structure.
Hopefully the birds have learnt from their mistakes!

PaulS said:
Yeah would be annoying to lift everytime you want to get to your plants or to have to build a structure.
Hopefully the birds have learnt from their mistakes!

Thanks Duston! The birds pecking at my tomatoes was the reason I stopped growing them, several years ago. I tried the bird netting for a while, but, as you say, it really just ruined the whole experience for me....

This struggling f4 Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow plant will probably not survive the over-rich soil of my "Pilot" chipped-oak-and-river-clay bed, but that's a topic for a different post. Right now I only want to keep it alive for a few more days, until this pod ripens....

bonda_cross_1.jpg

windchicken said:

Thanks Duston! The birds pecking at my tomatoes was the reason I stopped growing them, several years ago. I tried the bird netting for a while, but, as you say, it really just ruined the whole experience for me....

This struggling f4 Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow plant will probably not survive the over-rich soil of my "Pilot" chipped-oak-and-river-clay bed, but that's a topic for a different post. Right now I only want to keep it alive for a few more days, until this pod ripens....

bonda_mahala_1.jpg
Looking great Gary. Is the pilot bed truly that rich that it Is burning up your plants? Tell us more

Trippa said:
Looking great Gary. Is the pilot bed truly that rich that it Is burning up your plants? Tell us more

Thanks Trippa! Yes, that's right...I've been having this problem for a couple of years, in the pilot bed and in the older, richer DeSoto Parish beds—This year I decided I would step up my watering schedule to flush out the extra nutes. Apparently I need to step it up even more....When the weather turns real hot, as it did a couple days ago, the effects of the rich soil are exacerbated, and very quickly. More times than not the root damage happens so fast, like in one day, that by the time I react it's too late. I seem to need to re-learn this lesson every year.  :oops:

Spicegeist said:
Cool... but were you expecting it to turn out yellow, right?

Yes…I was suspicious something was strange ever since this pod first set, though, before it started turning color. The shape and the bumpiness looked way more Naga-ish than BMJxY7-ish. The other pods on this plant have the same shape…So I don't know where this came from. I've never grown a straight Naga nor Bhut. The heat level, aroma and flavor are also Naga-ish…It's a really nice pepper. I saved the seeds, because it looks like this is the only pod I will get from this plant...

orange_pod1_jun9.jpg

orange_pod2_jun9.jpg

Nice one Gary, definitely Naga-ish outside and inside (yummy!) :)
I would like to share with you more unusual naga types to thrive in your superior soil if you like.

Cya

Datil

Datil said:
Nice one Gary, definitely Naga-ish outside and inside (yummy!) :)
I would like to share with you more unusual naga types to thrive in your superior soil if you like.

Cya

Datil

Thanks, Fabrizio! That sounds awesome to me...

romy6 said:
 Looks like the Naga always finds way to your plants  :fireball:

I blame Bayou Bob . :shh:

Ain't it just so…I can't seem to get away from it! I must be meant to grow Naga, because I do love its flavor, and the more sane capsaicin level. We finished that pod today…Tasty! I'm pretty sure I'll be stabilizing this one now…I told Bob he gets credit rather than blame  :P

We'll be tasting this f2 NagaBrain Yellow tomorrow:

nb_ylw_jun9_01.jpg

windchicken said:

Yes…I was suspicious something was strange ever since this pod first set, though, before it started turning color. The shape and the bumpiness looked way more Naga-ish than BMJxY7-ish. The other pods on this plant have the same shape…So I don't know where this came from. I've never grown a straight Naga nor Bhut. The heat level, aroma and flavor are also Naga-ish…It's a really nice pepper. I saved the seeds, because it looks like this is the only pod I will get from this plant...

orange_pod1_jun9.jpg

orange_pod2_jun9.jpg

that looks awesome!

Back