• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2015

It was from my own inaction that I missed so many of my awesome THP friends over most of last season…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a grow log…Those of you who have not fallen prey to that particular internet time-waster of which I speak and have remained loyal to THP have my greatest love and respect…I pledge today to maintain this glog throughout the complete 2015 grow season! 

Last weekend (January 10 & 11) I sowed most of my C. chinense seeds: 4 x 18-cell trays, 72 x 3" wide cells. The sprouting medium is Fafard Super Fine Germination Mix. The light stand is Harris Seed's "8 Tray 2-Tier Combo", which includes a 4' x 2' heat mat and a light timer. New this year is a DeLonghi radiant heater to drive out the cold drafts in this spare bedroom. Everything else is the same as last year. 

As far as varieties sown this year, I agonized over a couple of "dream" lists during the fall, and obsessed over a nice spreadsheet in the week preceding this sowing, but I couldn't settle on a firm "assemblage" of super hot varieties. So I waited until the last minute (after the soil was already in the trays) and went with my gut. This is what I sowed:

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover.com), 18
7 Pot Primo (Primo's Backyard Select) 9
Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F4), 9 (Spicegeist's wonderfully hot and flavorful marriage of 2 yellow Caribbean classics)
Baby Barrackpore (F3), 9 (my favorite of the 3 phenotypes of Spicegeist's Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore)
NagaBrain Red (F4), 9
NagaBrain Chocolate, Tmudder Strain (F3), 9
NagaBrain Yellow (F2), 9

chinense_trays_2015.jpg

Hey Chris! As you can see from the video, it was A LOT (by Louisiana standards) of snow, but the ground temp was still above freezing, so whatever accumulation that occurred did so by virtue of sheer volume of snowflakes. So….although 6 inches may have fallen from the sky, the deepest I saw it on the bridges and overpasses was maybe 4 inches. I-49 through Shreveport was still closed as of last night, but I suspect that was because the workers didn't want to get outside and load the barricades in the trucks...

Have a good weekend dude!

windchicken said:
Hey Chris! As you can see from the video, it was A LOT (by Louisiana standards) of snow, but the ground temp was still above freezing, so whatever accumulation that occurred did so by virtue of sheer volume of snowflakes. So….although 6 inches may have fallen from the sky, the deepest I saw it on the bridges and overpasses was maybe 4 inches. I-49 through Shreveport was still closed as of last night, but I suspect that was because the workers didn't want to get outside and load the barricades in the trucks...

Have a good weekend dude!
As someone that's only seen snow twice, and both times being here in Laffy meaning very little lol, I'd take that any day! Haha. All we got was cold rain. Seems anyone south of I10 misses out most times.

I've been in South Texas since 1978, only seen snow that stuck once in the 80's. Although a few years ago frozen rain closed the schools.

I was hoping this last  cold front was indeed the last, but that doesn't seem to be the case :tear:

MeatHead1313 said:
As someone that's only seen snow twice, and both times being here in Laffy meaning very little lol, I'd take that any day! Haha. All we got was cold rain. Seems anyone south of I10 misses out most times.

That was the most snow I've seen here in several years…Seems like the last time was in 2010.

Devv said:
I've been in South Texas since 1978, only seen snow that stuck once in the 80's. Although a few years ago frozen rain closed the schools.

I was hoping this last  cold front was indeed the last, but that doesn't seem to be the case :tear:

I remember that snow, Scott…I believe it was the winter of '81. We got several inches of fine, dry powder here, like the Rocky Mountains…I cracked a tooth trying to snowboard on the ice that fell the day before. Maybe I'll post those photos….

As for my chile babies, the warm weather cannot get here soon enough for them. I'm beginning to suspect I may have to pot up a second time before plant-out day:

NB_Red_Mar3.jpg

NB_yellow_Mar2.jpg

Great stuff, Gary.  The pot-ups are really rocking!

I love the NagaBrain Yellow, kinda sorry I didn't grow it this
season, same for the Bonda cross.  Both are outstanding
peppers!

Really looking forward to see how spectacular your grow
turns out this season.

windchicken said:
Thanks PG! I'll make sure you get some fresh pods when they're ready, my friend!  :P  :P  :P
Thanks, man.
You are too kind, Gary!  
Wish I had room to grow all
the cool varieties I like!

MeatHead1313 said:
Looking fantastic Gary! I need to make a trip to Shreveport one day so I can really pick your brains on starting peppers!

That would be killer! Come on up to redneck land, Chris!

PaulG said:
Thanks, man.
You are too kind, Gary!  
Wish I had room to grow all
the cool varieties I like!

Ain't it just so, PG! I am so incredibly overplanted right now, and I'm about to sow more seeds tonight or tomorrow. I need another lifetime and 10 acres of river valley!

Back